twenty-seven

But what Hermione loved was having a plan.

Despite her prior spontaneity of rushing into saving Draco without a single clue what she was doing - and perhaps her entire relationship with Draco - Hermione was notoriously organized. Not just with homework, either. She single-handedly created the DA in their fifth year, where they held their meetings, and how they communicated. One can try and argue that it was all thanks to Harry, but really? Does any Gryffindor really believe that Harry played a hand in the behind-the-scenes action? And then there was S.P.E.W., of course, and all of Hermione's other very vital initiatives. Yes, it was safe to say Hermione Jean Granger was good with a plan.

Of course, what happened next was the very opposite of following the plan.

Their hunch was that Ron was using a Time-Turner, to be in two places at once. At home at the Burrow with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, giving him a believable alibi. And at Hogwarts - working an alliance with Lucius Malfoy. The Death Eaters. And the plan was to get proof.

"What would ever drive Ron to do this?" Harry moped. He should have been pleased that there was finally a plan in place to end all of this nonsense - not to mention the very literal knife in Hermione's back - but Harry was taking this the hardest, worse than Ginny. Ginny had her hair in a high ponytail, her lips glossed in a sharp grin, seemingly unaffected.

"Are you thick, Harry?" She rolled her eyes. "Jealousy can drive a man to do wicked things."

"It's just about a girl, though." His eyes widened behind his glasses. "Not that I meant you aren't worth it, Hermione, you'd be the best girl"- a hasty glance at Ginny. "That's not what I meant, either! Merlin, I"-

"It's fine, Harry." Hermione told him curtly. "I'm not worth this. I'm not worth people dying."

Another dramatic eye roll from Ginny. "You sound just like Harry. You guys are both worth it, okay? Which is why we're going through with this brutal plan. And for Draco, because believe it or not, he's worth it too."

"Will you go over the plan again for me?" Harry inquired, sitting on the arm of Ginny's chair. She leans over to pat his cheek fondly. "Thank goodness you're charming, because my goodness can you be dense."

"Bugger off, Gin!" Harry laughed. "Just tell me the plan again or I won't help."

"Yes, you will," Ginny grins smugly. "But tonight. We invite Ron down to apologize, have some treats from Hogsmeade, play a couple rounds of Exploding Snaps or whatever. I've already got Luna involved - don't worry, I told her the bare minimum - and she's going to lace his treat with Sleeping Draught. He'll be knocked out, we can find the Time-Turner, and then we'll be able to turn him in."

"What if something goes wrong?" Harry asked. "Do we have any back-up plans?"

"What could go wrong?"

"What couldn't go wrong, Gin?" Hermione exclaimed. "With our luck, honestly, we'll be lucky if Ron even decides to come down and accept our apology."

"We also need to be certain that he eats the right pumpkin pasty. It'd all go down in shambles if one of us accidentally had the Sleeping Draught. He'd be onto us in a second." Harry reminded the girls.

"Who are we going to turn him in to?" Ginny asked then, a tad meekly, her earlier confidence fading slightly. He was her brother, after all. The one closest in age to her, most often her partner in crime. "Dumbledore? Will he even believe us?"

"Of course he will." Harry stated firmly. "He's got to. I mean, obviously not all of this Draco-Hermione-Ron love triangle drama has been public"-