Crime of Rejection; sixteen

“What was that?” Jeno asked as he cornered Donghyuck just as every single student filed out of the classroom for recess.

Donghyuck stayed silent, trying to think of what Jeno could be possibly curious about. The older male didn't have his eyebrows furrowed, nor was there the annoyed crinkle on his nose bridge, so it wasn't about Sungkyung.

He thought about his answers during the oral recitation, surely they were right. Donghyuck knew he got them right, based on the pleased upturn of Ms. Bae's lips. And she rarely even smiled.

“What do you mean?” he asked after contemplating for a good two minutes.

Jeno smiled at him patiently, as if he just said something really simple, and that Donghyuck simply didn't understand his words.

“I saw Kim Jiwoo talk to you today, and I never thought you'd actually let her” Jeno is grinning widely, looking pleased. “Why not? Anyone can talk to me whenever they want” Donghyuck answers back in a pouty tone.

Jeno shakes his head in a fond manner. He reaches over and slings an arm around Donghyuck's neck and rubs his head.

“I still don't get how Jiwoo talking to me is any of your business” Donghyuck says grumpily.

“Of course it isn't.” Jeno agrees. “But it's nice to see you opening up to other people. I'm actually really proud. Maybe she'll get along great with Lami” said Jeno, putting his arm around Donghyuck's shoulders and started to walk towards the cafeteria.

Donghyuck pinches Jeno's waist and the older male lets out a cry of pain. “I talk to people Jeno. I'm not anti-social, you prick” he hissed at the other. Jeno pinches his ear in retaliation and he hums.

“Donghyuck!” A female voice called out, stopping the two in their tracks. Kim Jiwoo bounded up to them, red hair flying behind her. She was positively glowing as she ran towards the both of them.

“Hi Jeno-ssi! Can I join you guys?” Jiwoo asked, stopping before them with a bright smile on her youthful face. Her grin makes her cheeks lift up and Donghyuck is reminded of mochi.

Donghyuck looks behind her to see Sana, Mina and the others pouting as they observed Jiwoo interacting with them.

They must have really wanted Jiwoo to join them in their friend group. Donghyuck can no doubt, see why. Jiwoo was naturally approachable and sweet.

He can see that Jeno had taken a liking to the girl and he was slowly caving in. “Sure. It's not a problem” he answered before Jeno could.

He was met with two bright smiles at his response.

Jiwoo squeals in happiness, shyly grabbing hold of Donghyuck's hand and grasping it tight. Donghyuck raises an eye at that but she just giggled and shook her head. 

The three of them walk into the cafeteria towards their usual table. Renjun and Jaemin were already there, arguing about the rules of Uno. Sungkyung was watching them interestedly from the sidelines.

She would occasionally back Renjun or Jaemin up, fueling their petty arguments. She seemed to delight in it.

Donghyuck's eyes follow her every movement, and then there goes the familiar lump in his throat. The one where he couldn't breath once more, as his feelings resurfaced.

A sharp squeeze in his hand and then the lump disappears just as quick as it came. He tears his gaze away from Sungkyung to see Jiwoo.

“What?” she asks innocently. Donghyuck stares at her for a moment before shaking his head and plastering a smile on his face as he walked towards their usual table with Jiwoo holding onto his arm.

He just has this feeling. Maybe having Jiwoo around is not going to be so bad.