3: He Looks Like Who?

He surged within her and she cried out in the pleasure of their joining. They soon settled into a steady rhythm and their hips moved together as one. Her hands tightened their grip, fingers interlaced with his above her head as her body strained to pull him in deeper still.

Paige pushed her glasses back up along the ridge of her nose before her fingers returned to flying across the keyboard. Channelling her frustration from the interrupted dream to her writing was pure therapy, even if it meant she would make her poor characters suffer more.

A sudden knock on the door jolted her out of her writing flow. With a semi-coherent mumble of irritation, Paige pushed her chair back and plodded across the laminate pine floors.

"Paige, I know you're in there!"

If it was anyone else, Paige would have tried to hide and pretend no one was home. But recognizing the voice of her best friend since tenth grade, Ainsley, she opened the door.

With energetic steps and a bounce of golden curls, Ainsley swept into her suite as she took a step back to let her in. Paige had always held an admiration for the way Ainsley took up space despite her diminutive form as if her presence was larger than life. Beside her, despite being taller, Paige felt meek and awkward in comparison. She had to admit, she modelled much of her author persona after her best friend.

"So, how did the interview go?" Ainsley tossed her handbag on the couch and sat down next to it, eyes flashing with excitement. Paige had to smile. Ainsley was often the first to ask about progress or to cheer her on and she was also a damn good beta reader.

"It went well, I think. Jess asked for an advance copy of Heated Nights to review and said she was a fan."

Ainsley squealed and clapped her hands together. "That's awesome! See? All that preparation was worth it!"

Paige nodded and pulled her computer chair over to sit. "Definitely. Thank you." Ainsley, who also happened to be a public relations professional, had insisted they roleplay the interview to practice. Without her, Paige wasn't sure if she would have answered each question so smoothly.

"Well then, we need to go out and celebrate!"

She swallowed hard. Ainsley's idea of celebration often ended up with hangovers the next day. "Ains, it was just an interview..."

"With only one of the biggest YouTube channels of your industry! Think: millions will hear about your work."

Rather than becoming excited, Paige paled. Her mind began to replay the interview, nitpicking over whether she said anything regrettable.

"Paige. Paige! Snap out of it!" Ainsley waved a hand in front of her face. "See? You've proved my point. Sitting here by yourself in the basement, dwelling, will not do you much good. Come on. There's a new bar on Fourth. Come check it out with me. Live a little."

Ainsley was not someone people said no to. Or at least Paige found that to be the case. With a huff, she nodded her assent. "Okay, you win. Let me take a shower."

"Okay, you go do that. I'll raid your closet and get your outfit ready." Ainsley tapped a finger on her lips in thought. "I think for tonight, we want to go with something that doesn't scream trying hard but not your usual t-shirt and jeans. Didn't we get you that nice backless black top the last time we were at the mall?"

"What's wrong with my t-shirt and jeans?"

Ainsley levelled her a stare and answered by herding her to her bathroom instead. "Go."

By the time they arrived at the bar, Paige was beginning to wonder if Ainsley had an ulterior motive. Paige had to admit they looked good. Ainsley was in a pair of waist-high shorts and a rose pink crop top that showed off her flat tummy, paired with a pair of stilettos that gave her at least another two inches. In contrast, she had dressed Paige in a pair of ripped tight jeans that reached just above her ankles and that drapery black top that exposed most of her back. It framed the larger black and white tattoo between her shoulders: a tree of life with birds flying away. That tattoo was likely what inspired the dream where she had met Shade.all those years ago.