The Favor With The Police

You stared up at the ceiling, wide awake. If you stared long enough you could just vaguely make out some shapes in the paint of the ceiling. A frustrated sigh escaped your lips, and you sat up, swinging your legs over the side of the bed. When was the last time you had actually slept, you couldn't remember. The exhaustion was slowly starting to wear on your body. Your eyes drifted over to the clock on your nightstand. The angry red numbers seemed to mock you as they flashed the time.

'6 a.m. well there's no point in trying to sleep, now.' You thought bitterly.

You stood up, walking out of your bedroom. The house was dark, save for the occasional light of a car passing by. You didn't bother turning on the lights, Instead, you fell back on your couch reaching for the TV remote. A faint noise of something vibrating echoed through your otherwise silent house. You had left your phone in the bedroom but had no desire to get up and get it. When it didn't stop you didn't really have any choice but to go and answer it.

"Yeah?"

"Hello darling sorry to wake you."

It was Lucifer, of course it was, who else would call you this early?

'You didn't wake me, I haven't slept in three days.' You almost said that aloud, but caught yourself.

"It's fine, what's up?"

"The Detective just got a very interesting case with a very interesting victim."

You made your way into the kitchen, rummaging through your cupboards until you found a coffee mug.

"Great, so you won't be bored for a while."

"No, I suppose not, but that's not why I called my dear, our victim was a con artist, and quite a masterful one from what I've heard."

Your hand froze just before you could turn on the coffee machine.

"No."

"You don't even know what I'm going to ask darling!"

You suddenly lost any interest in making yourself coffee.

"You're going to ask for my help."

"Well not anymore, if you'd like to be so stubborn about this then I'm using another favor."

You groaned loudly, debating on hitting your head against a wall for dramatic effect.

"Did you just groan at me?" Lucifer sounded almost offended.

"No, of course not." You lied with a smile.

"You are a horrible liar, and I'll see you soon love."

He hung up before you could protest any further. You headed in the direction of your room again, getting ready for the day.

~

To say you were upset would have been an understatement, you wouldn't even look at Lucifer when he came to pick you up. He kept glancing at you out of the corner of his eye as he drove.

"Are you mad?" He finally asked.

You thought about it for a moment, you weren't mad so much as you were frustrated. Reliving your past or even thinking about it wasn't something you ever looked forward to.

"No, I'm just nervous?"

You even sounded unsure if that was really what you were feeling, but it was the closest thing.

"Lately it just seems like my past is running to catch up with me."

Lucifer gave you a worried look, but you never noticed, to lost in your thoughts as you watched the buildings pass by.