"Flash!" I called out, hoping he'd miraculously jump out somewhere.

I got right down to the end to where Vic's boat was. There was no sign of the dog anywhere. I climbed on board, making the boat rock a little. I went around to the back just as Vic came out of the cabin.

"Kellin?" He asked, confused.

"Have you seen Flash?" I asked.

"What?"

"Flash. The dog. Have you seen him?" I asked hurriedly.

I went past him and into the cabin. Maybe I didn't trust whatever Vic's answer was and had to see for myself if the dog was here or not. He wasn't.

"No, what are you on about? Did he run away?" He asked.

I turned to him and I couldn't keep the tears in any longer. I wiped my eyes. I knew I was being ridiculous. It was just a dog and not even a dog I had for that long. He had only been gone a day but I still felt this anxiety fill me.

"Hey, come on, please don't cry. It's gonna be alright," He said.

He came up to me and put his hands on my shoulders. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in and out to stop myself from crying. He ran his hands comfortingly down my arms and it helped more than it should have. I felt myself calming down. I stopped crying and looked at him.

"I can't find him. He's been gone all day, probably last night too. I don't know, I was...I was asleep. I didn't check for him..." I said. I felt so guilty. I just slept and he was God only knows where.

"It's okay, we'll find him. I'll help. Where have you looked?" He asked.

"Everywhere," I said in frustration, "I've looked everywhere around home and town all day. He's nowhere."

"Okay, breathe," He said.

I was actually shaking and I was glad he reminded me to breathe, because I wasn't. I didn't know why I was reacting like this.

"He'll turn up. It's a small town. He'll be somewhere. He'll come home when he's hungry," He said.

"And if he doesn't? He's out there somewhere by himself. I have to find him," I said frantically.

I went to walk past him but he held his arm out, stopping me. I took a step back and looked at him like he was crazy.

"Let me go," I said.

"It's getting dark. You're not gonna find him now. Wait until morning and if he's not back then we'll go out together," He said.

I didn't want to wait until morning. That meant a sleepless night worrying about Flash. I just wanted him back.

"Relax. Someone would have found him. He's clever. He'll find his way home, okay, just...relax," He said soothingly, "He'll be fine."

"Maybe but...I just...I can't stand this okay. What if he doesn't come back? I'm tired of...of losing things," I said. My heart ached painfully, so much so that I held my chest.

"Kell..."

"I mean...I lost Ash. I lost the dog. When the house is done, you're just gonna go too," I said.

The revelation of what I just said hit me. That's what I was terrified of. I was scared of Vic leaving me. I mean, why wouldn't he? I acted so awful towards him on the best of days. He was going to leave and I was supposed to be left with the dog, but he was gone too. I was going to be alone.

Twice in a Lifetime \\ KELLICOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara