𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 1

It had been two weeks since the bloodshed occurred, also two weeks since I last encountered the shadow

It had been two weeks since the bloodshed occurred, also two weeks since I last encountered the shadow. I have been living in the forest ever since, making the occasional visit into the nearest tavern to steal some food and if I was feeling lucky enough some liquid happiness, formally known as alcohol to help make the sound of the screaming go away.

Ever since the incident occurred I have been having nightmares and having hallucinations about what happened and I haven't stopped hearing the pan flute. I have gained dark blue eye bags from the lack of sleep and grown slimmer due to the lack of food. Guards will sometimes come scouting the forest to see if I'm still lurking around however they haven't been successful in finding me yet, but they kept on treading on my toes coming closer and closer everyday. I knew it was only a matter of time until I was found.

I got up of the moss patch putting my dagger into my waist band and grabbing by bow and arrows, I pulled the hood of my cloak over my head to try and hide my identity as much, however it would only conceal so much due to the crescent moon markings on my hood. I needed to go hunting for some more food because I didn't know how much longer I was going to last on the pieces of bread I managed to steal from the tavern last time I paid a visit.

I had grown quite familiarized with the forest thanks to the stars and their constellations, I had found myself being thankful for taking such an interest in how to read the stars, due to my mother being a seer I was able to use the stars to see the past of an area around me, along with it's inhabitants, however I wasn't able to see into the future, if I had i wouldn't be in this fucked up mess my father put us in.

I left my little camp I had made with my bow in hand. Looking around for any guards who was after me I peaked out from the bush before making a beeline for the trees in front of me. I looked around for any sign of life around me however I saw and felt nothing. It was still night, around 2 am give or take, so there should be some sort of wildlife around.

I let out a sigh before walking forwards going wherever my legs carried me. After walking for so long I started to hear the melody of a pan flute playing, I closed my eyes and shook my head hoping to get the haunted melancholy out of my head that I had been hearing for what felt like forever now, however the haunted melody didn't disappear. I had started to see the odd shadow following behind me quietly stalking behind the trees. I didn't think too much of it as I had been seeing vivid hallucinations of my worst nightmares come true.

*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*

After about an hour of hunting I had come across a deer that I could finally put my arrow through. I sighed a sigh of relief as I began to grab my bow and get into my stance. I narrowed my eyes on the deer as I pulled back the arrow, slightly tilting my head I released the arrow from the bow and in slow motion from in front of the deer a guard passed by on a horse and the guard dropped from his horse as the arrow pierced through his heart.

My heart began pounding through my chest as I heard shouting from the other guards around shouting and the hounding of horses hooves on the ground of the forest floors. All my senses were suddenly heightened and everything was going in slow motion. I began to run as far away from the body as possible. The faster and further away I ran the louder the pan flute became and the more guards seemed to have flooded into the area.

From out of no where a guard jumped out of a bush and lunged at me with a knife. I wiped at my cheek where the knife scratched and let out a groan of annoyance when I looked down at my hand and saw blood. I carried on running through the forest turning off the path and running deeper into the forest.

''Its her!'' I heard a guard cry out behind me, multiple arrows started shooting nearly hitting me. ''Shes getting away.'' The voices started to fade out into the fog behind, I looked around only to notice I was being suffocated by the fog again. Everywhere I looked I was greeted with the ghostly white that lurked wherever I went.

Suddenly from the corner of my eye I saw a guard on horseback charge at me with an arrow firing my way. I closed my eyes as the arrow pierced through my shoulder, letting out a little whimper at the shooting pain throughout my shoulder.

I took out my dagger from my waistband holding it up in the air and looked at the guard who was charging at me. I stood there and looked into his eyes as he rode past me, riding straight into my dagger sending him plummeting to the floor. I ran after the horse who was now trotting along looking into the white forest with startled eyes, I took this as an opportunity and jumped onto the horses back and began to gallop through the forest.

Everything was in slow motion and my heart was rapidly pounding against my chest, blood was pouring out of my shoulder from the arrow being pierced through and I was certain I was going the get caught.

"Get me out of here." I sighed to myself as I nudged the horse into a faster gallop, dodging all the trees and wooden logs in the way.

"There's no where for you to hide!" I heard from behind me as an arrow flew past my ear. I kicked the horse on again eager to go faster to try and escape, the sounds of the chain mail armour clanking behind me.

"I can take you away." I heard a demonic voice whisper into my ear sending shivers down my spine. I swallowed deeply before I turned around and saw the bulging white eyes of the shadow behind me.

"Take my hand and your problems will go." I stated into the shadows eyes unsure whether to grab a hold of his hand. The world around me seemed to of stopped and the forest was silent, not a single sound was heard.

"I've got her!" Shouted a guard from next to me aiming his arrow towards my stomach. I looked at the shadow taking a deep breath.

'Death or with the shadow?' I muttered to myself with a small smile. I slowly turned around to the shadow and began to life myself up on the horses back. Without a second thought I jumped from the horses back reaching for the shadows hand.

"You picked the right choice." The shadow said as we began to fly up into the sky with the sounds of the guards shouting leaving us behind.

*

*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*

𝐸𝑑𝑖𝑡𝑒𝑑:13/03/2023