I glanced at the Mr. Googly clock hanging in the kitchen. "It's eleven in the morning."

"Yeah, so?"

"But- whatever, it's nothing." I mumbled.

"Seriously Maya, what is it?" Josh asked with so much sincerity I nearly laughed out loud.

"You broke my record, Josh. You completely destroyed it!" I exclaimed.

"What?" He said, dumbstruck.

I grumbled in frustration. "I keep track of the exact time I wake up here. Because of Riley, the best I've ever gotten is exactly 10:46. 10:46, dude! And of course, I would've had the highest score if I had woken up a few minutes later, but noooooo. You did!"

I was serious, but Josh sure wasn't. He smiled in satisfaction.

I glared at his stupid face.

"I didn't even know this was a competition, and I still won." He said smugly. I almost missed it, but I heard him mutter under his breath, "Not surprised."

I accidentally laughed out loud. "Did you just say you were not surprised?"

He gulped, almost comically.

"You're gonna get it now, Boing."

Opening the cabinet, I grabbed a handful of whatever I could find first and threw it on him.

Sugar.

I had picked up a handful of sugar.

Most of it rolled off him, just a few bits sticking to his hair.

Oh, no.

He laughed. Hard.

"That's really the best you could up with? Sugar!?" He chuckled.

The took something out of the cabinet next to the stove, and threw flour directly in my face.

Out of pure instinct, I glared at him. A large chunk of the white stuff fell off my hair and I could see him holding in his laughter.

When I get my hands on-

"You're gonna get it now, Boing!" He said suddenly in a painfully high pitched voice.

A glaring silence descended upon the kitchen.

I stared at him, and after a while I sighed in exasperation. "What was that supposed to be?"

He stared back.

"Well, uh... it was an imitation of you." He said, though it sounded suspiciously like a question.

I tiredly placed a hand on my head and wrapped another around my waist.

"Whatever." I mumbled, before he realized it I had quickly run around him and obviously in pure retaliation threw a (regrettably small) handful of flour at his halfway turned face.

"That's really the best you could up with?" I said in a achingly deep voice, arms crossed. "Sugar?!"

His mouth was still hanging open. I smirked proudly at his shocked expression.

All in a day's work.

He took a deep breath. "If that's how it going to be." His face was sincerely defeated, and I idiotically believed that the little-

I could practically hear Riley say, shocked, "Language, Maya!"

Internally, I took a deep breath before declaring that I had won, finally. The expression he held didn't change.

But if course I was oh, so terribly wrong.

I felt the tingling sensation of clumpy off-white flour crawling down my back as soon as I took a step away from him.

"Looks like I won, doesn't it?"

I turned around, fuming as I glared into his blue-green eyes, but his so called "sweet" smile didn't falter for a second.

Before I could register what I was doing, we were throwing handfuls of flour at each other.

I grinned as I not so successfully blocked his attempts.

Our laughter filled the otherwise empty room, but I was so occupied by his contagious smile, I nearly missed Auggie calling my name.

I stopped tossing flour at him.

What was I doing?

"I- I have to check on Auggie." I said in rushed words while staring down at the messy floor.

Maybe if I had looked at him after hurriedly washing my hands and asking Auggie what he would like for lunch, I would've seen the hurt that flashed across his face.

Maybe if I had talked to him, I would've know that he had liked spending time with me.

He liked when we talked. When we worked. Even when we argued.

Because he liked- no, loved when we were together.

And maybe if I had known, we wouldn't be in this mess of a fight.

Just maybe.

-A/N-

I apologize for this mess- maybe one day I'll edit this entire fic. - future me

Anyway, thanks for reading!