5000th Moon

The moon was massive as it loomed over us. The waves it was churning were massive as they crashed against the side of the cliff and broke off rocks. The curse was never so clear in my mind. Maria drew my attention to her uncle and my father. They were in the middle of a fight, just like our ancestors. This is what Maria had been trying to prevent. Maria yelled at both of them and I followed, stupidly opening my mouth.

"No Uncle! No!" Maria yelled

"Father, we've got them!" I yelled

"Give me those pearls!" Father growled and Maria shrunk back

"Those dammed pearls have brought us nothing but heartache and grief." Maria's uncle growled back

"No, Uncle, it is not the pearls, but the greed in our hearts that brings us this misery." Maria spoke boldly.

"Father, why is there so much hatred in your heart?" Loveday's voice boomed

Loveday entered the amphitheater. I saw a sorrowful look cross my father's features as he laid eyes on his only daughter. How had she gotten here? Father was captivated by her as he took her hands, seeming to check to make sure she wasn't a figment of his imagination.

"Don't you want to be free of this darkness imprisoning you?" Loveday begged

"It is he. It is he! It is he!" Father thrust a finger at Maria's uncle.

Loveday scolded both men, and placed their hands on one another's. She took Maria's hand and led her over, placing the Moon Pearls over both of their hands. I held my breath, waiting for her next words. The pearls began to glow.

"Look, the 5000th moon; the curse is coming true. If you can sacrifice your pride, then we can save our families and the valley." Maria explained

"You first." Maria's uncle sneared

"No, no, after you." My father growled back

"I must do this myself." Maria said

She dropped their hands as she walked between them. We all watched her as she stepped up to the platform overlooking the sea. I didn't know what she would do next, but I knew it would be the result of my father's pride. She raised up the Moon Pearls and lifted her head.

"At the 5000th moon, I, Maria Merryweather, Moon Princess of Moonacre do remove the curse that darkens this valley; take back what is yours!" She spoke boldly.

She threw the Moon Pearls back to the ocean. It momentarily hung in the air before flying back to her. We all took a nervous step forward. None of us knew what this meant. Maria snapped the necklace. She threw the pearls again, sending them in all directions towards the sea. But again the pearls returned to her. I couldn't see what was happening as Maria stepped closer to the edge. The breeze tugged at her dress, pulling the train over the edge to billow in the wind.

She turned back to us and looked directly at me. With a short smile and something I couldn't read in her eyes, she turned back to face the moon. Sadness. Her eyes looked sad. It took me a moment to understand what that look meant. My breath caught in my throat as I rushed forward, right as she stepped off the edge. I screamed her name as I reached where she had stood moments before, too late to rescue her.

I collapsed to my knees as I looked over the edge and watched her fall. It felt like my heart was being ripped out of my chest. My breathing came in gasps as my bottom lip trembled like this was all some nightmare. I wanted to yell but couldn't find my voice. I wanted to cry but was too stunned by the fresh sting of heartbreak to shed any tears. 

When she hit the water, a sob slipped past my lips. I felt like I was going to collapse. The waves had calmed slightly. Just enough that we could see the bubbles float to the top. As they hit the surface, I lost my breath. I felt cold and numb. I stared at those bubbles. The ones that told us all that Maria was out of breath and out of time.

A bright flashing light upon the horizon signaled the rise of the 5000th moon. We stumbled back from the edge of the cliff, shielding our eyes. I was sure that the curse hadn't been broken and I hoped that it hadn't been broken. Maybe then Maria's uncle and my father would pay for what they drove Maria into. This feud over the Moon Pearls wasn't worth her life. How foolish my ancestors had been.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for reading!

Please vote, share, and comment!