Chapter Eight

23 days later, On the Benatar Ship.

"Hey, miss Potts, Pep. If you find this recording, don't feel bad about this. This is day 22, no 23. Food and water ran out four days ago, and the oxygen supplies will run out tomorrow morning. I just wanted to remind you that, when I drift off, I will dream about you, it's always you. Part of the journey is the end."

Tony sat in the Quill's space ship, recording a goodbye massage for his fiancee in his destroyed Iron man helmet.

Once he finished recording, he shut it off and sat on one of the chairs at the front of the ship.

He started to drift off, when he saw a very bright light coming through the windows.

The next thing he knew, he was back on earth, infront of the Avengers Facility, after being saved by Captain Marvel.

He started walking down the stairs of the space ship, he looked up and saw Pepper, Bruce, Rhodes and Steve standing infront of him.

Steve ran to Tony to help him walk to the Facility.

"Couldn't stop him." Tony said, while being supported by Steve.

"Neither could I." Steve responded.

Tony stopped for a moment, turning to face the Captain.

"I lost my kid." He said, falling on his knees.

Steve kneeled down next to him, "Tony, we lost."

Tony felt someone wrap their arms around him, he looked up and saw the love of his life.

"I was so worried about you." Pepper said, buring her face in Tony's neck.

He kissed her cheek, "It's ok."

Steve helped him back up and they continued to their home.

***

Tony, Pepper, Bruce, Rhodes, Carol, Rocket and Nebula were sitting in the control room, discussing their plan to defeat the mad Titan, Thanos.

"He used the stones two days ago." Rocket said, pointing at the holograms of The planets infront of them.

"Tony, you fought him. Didn't he tell you anything? Coordinates, or any useful information?" Steve asked Tony.

"No, I didn't fight him, who told you that? But maybe if you were there with us, then maybe we could've defeated him." Tony said, standing up from his seat. "I had a vision, back when we fought Ultron. It told me that this day will come, I tried to warn you about it, but you didn't listen. You wanted to fight something way bigger than you, I told you 'we'll lose' you said 'we'll do that together, too' well, guess what, Cap? We lost, and you weren't there." Tony said, stepping forward to face Captain America.

Steve didn't know what to say, he hated how the accords broke the team two years ago.

Suddenly, Tony collapsed on the ground from dehydration and malnutrition from being stranded in space for more than three weeks.

Steve picked him up and layed him on his bed in his room.

Bruce gave some medicine, and Pepper stayed by his side to make sure that he's okay when he wakes up.

The rest of the avengers were able to track the gamma radiations coming from the stones.

They tracked them down to a planet called The Garden.

They immediately left to go take on Thanos, which left only Tony and Pepper in the big facility.

After about 15 minutes, Tony woke up; he looked next to him and saw Pepper sitting on a chair, reading a book.

She noticed him waking up, so she set down the book and moved closer to him.

"Tony, you need to rest." She said, soothingly, running a hand through his hair.

"I can't. Everytime I close my eyes, all I could see is his face, crying and begging me to save him. And I couldn't do anything to stop it, I just stood there, watching my own son die infront of me." He said, not making eye contact.

"It's gonna be ok."

"I can't do this anymore. I can't keep fighting for the rest of my life. I just wanna take a break from all of this superhero stuff, build a cabine next to a lake and settle, maybe fulfil ours and Peter's dream of having our biological kid."

Pepper let out a soft chuckle, remembering how excited Peter was when they told him that they might have a child.

Tony let out a small laugh, remembering the same thing.

"If that's what you want." She said.

Tony looked at her, smiling.
***

A few hours later, the heroes came back, and explained everything to the couple. How Thanos destroyed the infinity stones, and how Thor killed him.

Everybody was a bit relieved, but still devastated because they couldn't bring back the ones they lost.

After that, each one went their separate ways.

Tony and Pepper decided to settle down in a house, Thor went to back to his homeland, Asgard;Carol, Rhodes, Rocket and Nebula went on missions to help the universe, and Steve and Natasha settled down in the Avengers Facility.