| 17 |

"You're looking more chipper than usual." Tony commented as he took a seat next to Natasha. The Black Widow smiled as she took a sip of her coffee.

"Scarlett and Bucky went for a run this morning."

"She's the only one other than me who can keep up with him." Steve commented. "She's fast."

"Your light jog is a full blown sprint, man." Sam shook his head. "I don't play those games."

"She seems to be adjusting pretty well." Bruce sat down on the other side of Tony.

"Look who it is." Sam directed everyone's attention to the door of the cafeteria. Bucky was just walking into the room. His hands were stuffed into the pockets of his hoodie. There was a soft smile on his lips, one that didn't go unnoticed by his peers.

"You're glowing, Sarge." Tony teased, causing Bucky to roll his eyes.

"What's got you grinning so much?" Natasha watched him take a seat across from her.

"She smiled, like actually smiled."

"How did you get her to do that?"

"I.... I tripped over a tree root." Bucky rubbed the back of his head.

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" Sam muttered under his breath.

"Where is she right now?" Natasha asked.

"She went to her room."

"Here comes trouble." A small flirty grin crossed Sam's lips as he watched Maria Hill enter the room. Behind her were nearly a dozen armed agents.

"What's going on, Maria?" Steve asked her. Natasha shifted around in her seat, her eyes flickering very briefly to Bucky.

"I've got two dead agents in the lab three floors down." Hill let out a soft sigh. She handed a small folder to Natasha. Inside the folder were the names and all the information S.H.I.E.L.D. had on the two deceased agents. There were also pictures from the scene of their deaths. One had been stabbed and was laying in a pool of his own blood. The other appeared to have his neck broken. "Where is Scarlett?"

"You think she did this?" Natasha furrowed her brows together. "When did this happen?"

"Early this morning, between four and six."

"She was up with me at 5:30 this morning." Bucky said. "It couldn't have been her."

"I'd like to talk to her, if you both are okay with it." Hill looked between the Winter Soldier and the Black Widow. They both shared a small glance but neither said anything for a while.

"Only if I'm there with her." Natasha stood to her feet. She passed the file back to Hill.

"She isn't being arrested, Natasha. I just want to ask her questions."

"And you can do that, as long as I'm with her." Natasha left the room without another word.

"Am I really that much of an asshole?" Hill huffed as she looked back to the Avengers.

"No, Maria. You aren't." Steve shook his head softly. "You're just looking out for your agents. She's doing the same for her daughter."

———

Scarlett finished braiding her long dark hair. She tied the braid at the end and threw it over her shoulder to get it out of her way. Her hair was wet from her morning shower. Dressed in a pair of black joggers and a gray long sleeve, Scarlett left her room with the intention of going to the cafeteria where she was sure the rest of the Avengers were.