| 41 |

Pietro held Scarlett's hand as they made their way out of the elevator. It was late in the evening, nearly nine o'clock. The two had spent the entire day in her room, watching television, sleeping, or quietly talking to each other.

"How are you feeling, Scar?" Tony asked, briefly glancing over to them before returning his eyes to the video game he was playing with Rhodey, Bruce, Peter, Clint, and Sam.

"Better." She answered, a little smile playing on her lips as she looked away from Pietro. Her fractured femur and broken ankle had healed in the two days following her return to the Tower.

All of the Avengers were lounging around on sofas and chairs. Natasha, Wanda, and Steve were the only ones who sat at the bar. Pietro began to guide Scarlett towards an empty spot on one of the sofas when the elevator doors opened. Instinctually, Scarlett glanced over her shoulder just to check and see who it was.

Six large men in suits and sunglasses exited the elevator and parted to allow the Governess to leave the small space. She was dressed in a white floor length dress with long sleeves and a deep v-neck. She pushed her expensive sunglasses on to the top of her head and met Scarlett's gaze.

The HYDRA assassin turned around, her brows furrowing together at the sight of the Governess.

"Hello, darling." Her voice was as elegant as ever.

"What are you doing here?" Scarlett slowly but firmly pushed Pietro behind her then took a step towards the Governess.

"I've had trouble reaching you for almost a month. I knew this place was where I would be able to find you." The Governess glanced around the large room.

"Uh, who are you?" Bucky asked. Her vibrant gray eyes fell on the Winter Soldier, but she never said anything to him. Her gaze flickered over to Scarlett.

"I hear you've been busy."

"I have." Scarlett answered with a firm nod.

"You've managed to dismantle nearly every decently sized facility we have across the country."

"She's HYDRA." Someone whispered behind Scarlett.

Natasha pulled the gun from her jacket. The Avengers stood up, preparing to fight this woman and the six bulky men with her.

Upon seeing the gun the Widow pulled out, the six agents with the Governess drew their own guns.

"Put those away before I shove them up your asses." Scarlett growled to the agents. The one at the front of the group looked to the Governess. She nodded her head once. They put their guns away. Scarlett turned her attention to the Governess. "If you want to talk, we can talk. Just not here."

"You're not going anywhere, Scarlett." Pietro shook his head. "You're still healing."

"I'm fine." She stepped away from him but he grabbed her hand.

"Scarlett—,"

"I need to do this, Pietro." She murmured to him. He searched her eyes for a few moments before he nodded his head and let her hand go. She closed the short distance between them and put her hand on his scruffy jaw.

"Be safe." He breathed against her lips.

"I will." She leaned up to kiss him very briefly before moving past the Governess to the elevator.

———

"You look worn." The Governess commented as she stepped out of the elevator. They were on a floor used for conferences. With the work day being over, they were the only ones present.