Chapter Eleven

Comincia dall'inizio

Lynette cleared her throat before responding. "I'm gonna remind myself that your hurting right now, and hope that you actually see me as more than just a barmaid."

She watched as Tommy shook his head dismissingly, his thumb and fore finger coming up to wrap his forehead as he winced. "That's not what I meant. Look, I need to ask a favour."

"What is it?"

"Would you speak to Polly for me? She doesn't believe me, she blames me for Ada hiding herself away. I don't want to see Ada this way either, but I need my family to know that I'm telling the truth first."

Lynette knew that she could never say no to him in that moment, especially when she could see how much pain he was in, yet he was attempting to hide it. She nodded to his question before picking up her coat which sat on the counter of the bar.

"Now?"

"Now."

After informing Grace that she had to head out for a bit, she followed Tommy out of The Garrison and down  Watery Lane. They conversation between them was minimal, Tommy asked her about progress in The Garrison and Lynette asked him if business was successful as usual.

As they arrived at the Shelby house, Tommy opened the door and allowed her to enter first. She thanked him with a small smile as she appreciated that despite his low mood, he was still able to be a gentlemen rather than an asshole.

Lynette walked along the hallway towards the dining room after hearing voices, Tommy was only steps behind her. She stopped at the doorway, about to greet the rest of the family when she noticed an unfamiliar face looking their way.

It didn't take a genius to work out who this man was by appearance alone, the similarities between the stranger and Arthur were uncanny. Lynette also noticed the large scar that traveled from the left corner of his lip to his hairline.

"How are you, son?" The man grinned as he stood from the table.

Lynette could see Tommy's figure tense at her side as he shook his head at the man. "Get out," he ordered.

The older man tilted his head to the side, his smile unswerving. "Come on, son. I'm a changed man."

The auburn haired woman could suddenly remember when she told Tommy about her past long ago. When she had mentioned that her father was a low life and a horrible man to her family, Tommy had stated that 'he knew the type'.

"This family needed you ten years ago, and you walked out on it," Tommy stated. "Not now. Get out of this house."

The Shelby father ignored his son, instead turning his attention to the pretty woman at his side. "And who is this little lady?" he drawled.

Lynette felt uncomfortable under the man's intense gaze, she didn't like the way he looked at her. Or the fact that his question was intended to provoke Tommy in some way, considering this man assumed they had some kind of connection after entering the home together. However, the fiery attitude she was born with cancelled out the discomfort, all she wanted to do was knock a few inches from the man's ego.

"I work for Arthur," she answered, not attempting to hide her dislike for the man. She refused to give him her name, she had no idea who this Shelby man was or what connections he had.

The unnamed man laughed, a surprised expression on his face. "A Scottish girl. They're wild ones, eh Tommy? So, no name?"

"I won't say it again," Tommy warned, his glare on the man intensifying as his orders were being ignored.