Chapter 11

You were lead down a few more winding passages, and at last, Loki halted and quietly looked around the corner. There were four guards outside the entrance to the throne room, backs straight, spears against their shoulders.

You groaned internally, and Loki shot you a glance, feeling your exhausted annoyance. "Are you unwell?" He whispered, looking at you pointedly.

You glared at him. "No."

"Are you certain? Because--"

"Because you can tell I'm exhausted by my emotional response to the prospect of fighting or fleeing, yes, I get it."

"Are you going to make a habit of cutting me off?" He asked sweetly. 

"Depends. Are you going to stop saying predictable things before cutting you off becomes a habit?"

Instead of furthering the squabble by taking a return stab at you, he leaned against the stone wall and looked you over. The action made you anxious. You went to take an instinctive step backward, but Loki's hand shot out and grabbed your forearm. "Please don't," he requested, quiet voice even. "If you move too far from me, they'll be able to see you." 

Your lurching nervous response to him grabbing you in such a sudden manner resonated within him, and he released you. You still wanted to step away from him, and had to actively keep your feet from doing so. "Why are you looking at me like that?" You inquired timidly, hardly loud enough for him to hear. 

"You don't look right," Loki replied, realizing how true it was. Your limp hair, black-ringed eyes and pale complexion gave you a sickly appearance. Your very bones seemed. . . frailer. "What exactly did you do to me?"

It took you a moment to comprehend his meaning. "You mean. . . with the stab wound in your stomach? I told you. I just saved you. I can't really remember how; just that it was obvious in the moment. "

"Can you run if you need to?"

You sighed, the idea of running tiring you further. "Yes," you said reluctantly. 

Loki tapped his forefinger against his thigh, deciding whether or not he believed you. Not much choice, he rationalized. If he wanted to live through this outrageous situation, he needed to see what secrets the throne room could reveal. Surely the vision hadn't shown it to you for no reason. It was the only place he could think to begin looking for answers.

"We'll have to be quick," he told you. "I'll kill the guards, we'll have a fast look around inside, and then we need to be hidden again when reinforcements show up. Hopefully whatever Fate was trying to show you in that blasted room presents itself as obvious."

"Where do you want me to be while you go and murder those frost giants?"

"Put yourself against the wall here as tightly as possible. You will need to remain very still, or the illusion won't work. No one will be able to see you. That includes yourself, so don't scream when you realize you're missing a body."

"Great. Sounds wonderful. And if one of the guards kills you?"

"Run. Perhaps prayer?"

You pressed your back against the wall, rising adrenaline banishing some of your exhaustion.  "Be careful," you pleaded softly. "I don't want to have to save you again."

Loki glanced at the guards. "I'll be fine. Hold still." He held up his hand, green smoke materializing out of the air, condensing thickly around his palm, weaving though his fingers in dancing patterns. With a gesture, the smoke wrapped around you, then cleared. You looked down at your feet without moving you head, only to discover that, as promised, your body was invisible to you.