Chapter 10 - Lifelong Frenemies

The next day, Lilith arrived at the market first and found Jay sitting against a stall of molding, bruised fruit. Without him noticing her behind him, she grabbed his shoulder and hissed to him, "Jay, if you even try to steal the Sceptre of Chaos, you can ensure your death will be swift and surely painful."

Jay turned his head and smiled at her, "Good morning to you too, Lilith."

Lilith's lip's formed into a faint smirk and she let go of his shoulder.

"Just the Sceptre of Chaos?" Jay said as she sat down next to him, "Not the Dragon's Eye?"

"Like I need the Dragon's Eye." Lilith said, "once I have the Sceptre in my grasp, my revenge is practically assured. Besides, Jay, I never said I would kill you. The Core of Chaos - the gem in the Sceptre's tip - it radiates an aura of Chaos so powerfully it can kill those it finds unworthy to hold the sceptre with a single touch."

"Are you suggesting it's sentient ?" Jay said. Lilith nodded, "It's the center of the Force of Chaos. Whether it seems so or not, Chaos is sentient. It can think and feel. That's why it takes such great willpower to control it."

"Can you do it?" Jay said, with only a hint of worry in his voice. Lilith shrugged. "We'll see. But I can feel it in the air, the Chaos has awakened. It will tear the island apart if it doesn't find a new Master- or Mistress - or it's not switched off."

Jay thought for a moment. "Does it like having a Master or Mistress of Chaos?" He asked Lilith shook her head. "No real telling. If the Master or Mistress is powerful and freely chaotic, then yes, but if the Master or Mistress is restrained and not willing to use it... well, of course the Chaos hates it."

"What was your dad?"

"Little of both, I guess. He loved to make Chaos, but he also understood how dangerous and powerful the force was - I mean, we are talking about pure, raw, endless Chaos - and he never fully unleashed it." Lilith said. "And our home, the Castle of Chaos, it was located in the Forbidden Realm, the thirteenth realm, which was it's own small pocket dimension of utter chaos. So Chaos surrounded us and it was always present."

The two were interrupted by Mal's arrival. She stopped for a brief moment as she saw Jay and Lilith sitting next to each together, and she felt disgusted as she saw how much attention Jay was giving Lilith, before moving on to a fortune teller's stand. She traded a pair of chipped earrings for a tattered pack of tarot cards, then returned to Lilith and Jay. " Hey, lovebirds." She said coldly, "Let's move."

"Lovebirds?" Lilith echoed, standing up. "Seriously, Mal? You know romance is forbidden on the Isle."

Yes it is , Jay thought, more as a reminder to himself than anything else. "What are those for?" He asked, gesturing to the tarot cards as he noticed Lilith eyeing a (bruised but still edible) sour green apple.

Mal rolled her eyes, "No one's allowed into the library, right? Where all those documents are locked up and sealed..."

"And the only one who has the key is Dr. F, who loves tarot cards." Jay finished, suavely swiping the apple after Lilith looked away.

"Glad to see your awake." Mal said sarcastically.

"So, how sure are you about this whole thing?" Asked Jay. "I mean, a little sure? A lot sure? Just-want-something-to-do sure?"

"I don't know." Mal admitted, "But I at least have to try to find the Dragon's Eye, and Lilith has to try and find Loki's Sceptre of Chaos. Also, don't you think it's weird that we've never left the village? I mean, this island's pretty small, and we've never even tried to look around."