Time Flies Too Quickly

As always: rights go to J.K. Rowling

Chapter Eleven - Time Flies Too Quickly

Hermione thought that time passed too quickly at Hogwarts, already the Winter Ball was approaching and with a masquerade theme everyone was becoming romantic idiots. It was just the occasion to lift people's spirits. There were plans to be made, dresses to be bought, dates to be acquired and a night full of fun and laughter to be had.

Hermione pondered her choice of gown. Originally she hadn't intended to go as she thought staying in her room with a glass of something and a good book would be a better night. However, Pansy was now forcing her to come. Unbeknownst to her, Hermione's friends were worried about her and thought she had lost some of her 'feistiness'. It was probably correct as since her rejection from Draco had occurred, her body and mind seemed to have been fighting with each other. She knew she was being silly and that she should get up from this mess she was in and get on with life. I guess you could say that she couldn't believe she'd laid down her heart like that and watched as it crumbled before her eyes.

She shouldn't have asked him to the ball. Things would have been better if she hadn't.

Her fingers paused over her dress which was made from the richest purple material. She pulled it from the rack in Hogsmead and knew it was the dress for her. It was sleeveless and strapless, coming in tight at her chest and waist and then flowing straight out till it hit her knees and stopped. The material was so soft and light, catching the light when she moved. If she could find some gold heels and accessories to go with the dress she knew everything would be perfect. She needed to find a gold mask as well.

She had made sure no one saw her dress, the girls had tried and the boys had asked but she had told no one. She saw this as the one night where she could be herself without the restraints that others put upon her. She'd darkened her hair colour slightly so no one could truly recognize her in her mask and outfit. She wanted people to be confused by her and to not know who she was.

She changed away from the common room and made her own way to the Great Hall. The others were already there having given up on waiting for her to appear. Blaise was trying especially hard to find her but was having no such luck.

Fate had a twisted way of working and anyone who had been under fate's spell found their lives changed dramatically. Fate was present at the Winter Ball pushing people together and separating others. There were always people who tried to rule over fate's strict hand but fate never actually let them win.

Hermione was enjoying herself. She was enjoying the attention that wasn't directed at anything other than the mysterious person she appeared to be. She could do anything, be anything and say anything tonight and no one would judge her because they wouldn't know it was really her.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Ginny sauntered into the ballroom, her green dress clinging to her in a way that was unnatural. How some of these girls thought they looked sexy was beyond amusing and they clearly hadn't been taught well by their Mothers. You should never overly flaunt yourself because then all you become is some tacky desperate object. The idea was to remain mysterious and let the man chase you until he caught you. Clearly Ginny thought that 'slutty prostitute' was a look that would entice men to her, or perhaps she was looking to entice one man in particular.

She hadn't just left the situation up to her own sexuality because taking a chance like that would have been foolish. She'd made a potion as well to give her an extra hand. It was a variation of a common love potion that her Mother had taught her. Apparently the Prewitt women were known for using love potions to ensnare the men they loved. Of course this little known fact was only passed from female to female of the Prewitt family so no one else knew.