Chapter 3: The Italian Duke

Start from the beginning

I walked around my room in Signore Cavelli's beautiful villa. I admit I'm starting to feel bored.

Are there some kinds of books around here that I can read?

I was about to leave my room to walk around the house and ask for available books that I could borrow when someone knocked on my door.

"Come in," I said in English. I don't if the person on the other side of the door understood me.

A young woman entered and curtsied. "His Excellency said I will be your personal maid, Miss. My name is Allegra." She said in slightly accented English.

His Excellency?

"Who?" I asked. I just wanted to make sure I heard it right.

"His Excellency..." She repeated. The woman's dark eyes widened as she stared at me. "Don Lucca Domenico Cavelli, the fourteenth Duke of Caprielle."

Just what kind of joke is that? I was saved by an Italian duke. I didn't even know that there's still titled gentlemen this kind of age. Suddenly, I remember in flashback, the moment we first talked and the secret smile creeping in his grey eyes as he told me his name. The devil was making fun of me. Because I have no idea of whom he was—he had the grand time toying me!

Well, I have some news for the arrogant Italian duke. I will never again be played by another Italian man in my life. Once the conceited man arrives late this afternoon, I will make sure he understands he will never again dare to have fun on my account.

"Miss?" Allegra asked worryingly. "Are you all right?"

"Yes," I reassured her with a forced smile. It was not her fault that I was fuming angrily at her master. For now, I will try to wait and tame the bubbling anger inside me until the duke arrives. "I was just wondering if there's a book that I can borrow so I won't be bored until His Excellency arrived."

"Certainly!" The young woman beamed at me innocently. "Shall I fetch them for you, Miss? Or do you prefer to see the library for yourself?"

Oh! I knew it. This place has a library. I wouldn't be deprived of the opportunity in seeing his collection of books. "I wish to see the library, please."

She nodded, opening the door for me. "This way, Miss."

I followed her on the impressive hallways silently. For now, I will forget about my anger at Lucca Cavelli and indulge myself into his library room. I could hardly wait to see it...

The day flew fast. I didn't even realize that it was almost twilight when Allegra informed me that His Excellency had finally arrived. I took a deep breath as I waited in his library for him all day. I have a great time reading and Allegra has been serving me equally great food for lunch and teatime. I could hear determined footsteps on the hallway and I don't understand why my heart was beating just as fast as the footsteps nearer me.

It has nothing to do with me, I assured myself. It's just because I prepared to confront him that's why my heart is beating loudly on my chest. It has nothing to do with seeing him again.

A discreet tap on the heavy wooden door and the sight of him was what it takes for me to recognize what a lie it was.

"Tatiana."

My traitorous heart tripled on my chest. I could swear that he could hear it. "You must be very happy toying with me, aren't you?" I spat at him before he even had the chance to close the door behind him.

"What?" He asked, closing the door behind him. Surprise was evident in his eyes before he blanked it away.

"The fact that you forgot to tell me that you're a duke." I reminded him, crossing my hands on my chest. "Do all Italians love to deceit other people for their fun?"

He stalked after me. I tried not to be cowed by his strong presence even when his eyes turned frostily. "Do not make prejudice against Italian men just because you happened to be deceived by one."

I blanched at his blunt words. I never thought that he would ruthlessly use what he read on the newspaper articles about me and Paolo.

Unfeeling bastard.

Cold-hearted devil.

I thought at first that my savior must be sent by heaven to save me from my death. It never occurred to me that he might be the very devil that would hurt me even more.

"I'm not making prejudice here!" I denied fiercely, trying not to wince at his cold stares "I'm just making a point."

"Well, your point is incorrect!" He retorted back.

"Then, how do you explain it?"

He shrugged and for the first time looked away. "I just thought that wasn't necessary. It is a novelty to me that a woman actually doesn't recognize me."

My anger dozed a little. Was he telling the truth? I cannot be sure. I don't have enough dealing with men to know which one is honest and not. If I just knew how to read them, I wouldn't be here, wouldn't I?

"Well?" He asked in silence, his eyes held an unmistakable grin. "Are we going to continue our fighting or have a decent dinner together?"

I felt my lips twitching with a smile. The fact that we didn't resolve anything and halting in the middle of an argument was laughable.

"Dinner then..." I heard myself muttered.