change of leadership

There are a number of ways leadership can pass.

Inheritance
The retiring Alpha passes on his pack to his son. There is a point in the ceremony where challengers are allowed to speak now or shut up. The pack offers their oaths to the new Alpha.

No one is required to swear loyalty. Some may choose to leave the pack. It is also possible for a pack to to split and some members follow another leader.

These are not common, but they do happen. The Alpha may have more than one son who is favored by the pack, or the Alphas chosen successor may not have the full support of his Fathers supporters.

If a pack threatens to split, it can be a lot more serious than just a few people leaving. Remember that a packs territory, housing, local rents/pack taxes collected are also involved. A split could be very problematic, and may well result in a challenge.

If the challenger is left alive, he and any who wish to follow him must leave the territory. They forfeit any lands or property they may have built there. Ownership would revert to the Pack... actually to the Luna. (Females hold the property; males defend it.)

Challenge
A formal challenge is watched by adult (sworn) members of the pack. Is often to the death, otherwise the defeated one is regarded as a source of divisiveness and future trouble.  If not killed, they are driven into exile.

An Alpha who has the backing of his tribe can draw on extra healing energy through the pack bond. While fighting they heal faster than normal werewolf-fast. (  Think Wolverine from X-men  )

An Alpha who lacks the full support of his tribe cannot draw on their energy through the pack bond... or at least not all of them.  Only his supporters energy is available. 

If the sons of the Alpha are fighting for control of the pack, whether or not either or both have access to the extra energy through the pack bond will depend on whether or not their father has stepped down as Alpha.

If he releases the oaths of his people prior to one of his sons accepting the people's  oaths, the pack bond has not yet broken down but is no longer tied to him. The tribe is essentially having a brutal form of secret ballot. No one can see into the heart and mind of another to know who they favor most, but the will of the people will influence the outcome.

If their Father has not stepped down, the men will be depending entirely on their own strength.  This is not the normal way of doing things however.   Involving the pack bond and allowing both contenders to draw on it makes it a battle of leadership, not just physical combat.  

If the contest is between two Alphas, they each can draw strength from their supporters.

If the challenge is from a wolf who does not have people sworn to him, it will be very one sided - unless the Alpha has lost the confidence and respect of his own people. 

A female heir or widowed Luna may decide between 2 or more potential mates with a challenge match to find one who will be both strong enough to defend the lands and acceptable to her tribe. The contenders will live with her tribe for a set amount of time before the challenge to allow the people to get to know them. The future Luna will be guarded closely and kept from both/all of them until the match itself which she must witness. 

She chooses the contenders, the battle decides the outcome. 

Mate-Claim
A territory may be claimed through claiming the Alpha female. Either a female heir (of her parents, or the widow of an Alpha choosing a second mate), or a captured Luna whose mate has been killed.