"She's a lovely bird, Tommy, but you stay the way you are. Remember what Dad used to say 'Fast women and slow horses..." Arthur trailed off as John joined him.

"...will ruin your life.'" they chorused together with smiles on their faces.

Tommy couldn't help the grin that spread across his lips as he remembered the motto that he and his brothers had sworn by growing up. The amusement in the private room vanished as a white light shone on them through the clouded glass. The artificial light could only mean headlights from a vehicle, as there were no street lamps outside The Garrison that could produce such a bridge source of light.

"Coppers," John announced as he sat up straighter in his seat.

"No," Tommy assured him, with his own idea of who was joining them.

..............................

As Lynette stood behind the bar in, she started to regret convincing Tommy to allow the visitors of the local pub to sing on Saturday nights. She had done so at the request of Grace, who was desperate to lighten the atmosphere in the bar but never had the opportunity to speak to Tommy properly about the idea. Lynette could understand why, there were times when the Shelby brothers wouldn't be seen for days before appearing out of the blue.

Lynette agreed to convince Tommy after Grace begged her and offered to cover the late shift, which the Scottish woman accepted without complaints as she imagined the opportunity to have an early night.

She shook her head with a smile as people started to dance around the room. The last time she had seen The Garrison this crowded was on the day of the football match, when the blues were playing. She refused to join in with the singing, as it was not something that interested her, but she was content to stay behind the bar with Harry as Grace and the others had their fun.

She failed to notice the arrival of the cars outside as she and Harry spoke about how profitable Saturday nights would become if the number of punters continued like this one. It was only when the crowd quietened suddenly, did she realise that something was wrong.

Looking over towards the entrance, she saw the men and women make a pathway to reveal two men dressed in all black. Both were carrying weapons, much more serious - and more lethal - than the guns that the Peaky Blinders carried.

"Holy shit," Harry blurted out in shock beside her. "It's Billy Kimber."

Lynette watched warily as another man entered the building. She could now put a name to the face of the man that Tommy had told her would be at the Cheltenham races that he was taking her to. The man that would somehow be related to the job Tommy wanted her to do.

Kimber had dark hair and a distinctive moustache, around the same height as herself. She could tell he was a wealthy man from the expensive clothes and the golden rings that were displayed in his fingers.

"Is there any man here named Shelby?" he called out to the hesitant crowd.

No one answered him causing the man to pull a small silver gun from within his coat, aiming it at the ceiling to deliver a warning shot. Most of the people in the room ducked their heads, or let out noises of panic after the bullet was fired. Lynette continued to watch silently and cautiously as she waited to see if Tommy, Arthur or John would reveal themselves. She was certain, without a doubt that it would be Tommy that he was looking for.

"I said, is there any man here named Shelby?" Kimber repeated, his tone rising in volume.

Just then, the door to the snug opened and the men inside dispersed. If Tommy had not been expecting company then he hid it well, Lynette thought as she watched him take control of the situation.