How AI Can Facilitate the Cell Therapy? - Ajan Reginald

It was like two years back, when , the founder, CEO of Celixir, spoke to IntelligentHQ.com about all the present challenges and opportunities within the healthcare industry. While he discussed Celixir's own Heartcel for being a cutting edge innovation as in life-saving, life-altering medicine, the role of artificial intelligence (AI) in healthcare was also been discusses.

During this 40-minute interview, Ajan Reginald was largely excited about the fact that those robots with AI could possibly change genes and inject cells with more accuracy than humans. For , all these breakthroughs in medicine comes due to the benefits patients getting from these innovations along with the automation factor, which has played a key role in it's implementation. This is happening when every third patient death is due to an error from the hospital's end.

Even though there are a number of benefits down the line, there are also hurdles that need to be overcome, specifically in regards to data privacy and encryption

Even though there are a number of benefits down the line, there are also hurdles that need to be overcome, specifically in regards to data privacy and encryption. This is where Scientists and researchers got to work hard in order to develop technology that would ensure the right medicine to the right patient, in the right dose, and at the right time.

But the big question is, did we able to find the required advancements in the past 21 months?

Marching towards AI-Dependent Healthcare

Even when the big healthcare firms and tech companies are putting in billions to test AI-powered tools, most of the scientific and medical communities are still finding it hard to locate the required solutions for all the data and privacy concerns. Still it doesn't mean that there hasn't been any significant advancement in the same context and the medical and scientific communities have discovered much potential in regards to robotic surgery and image analysis.

AI-Assisted Surgery

As of now, the AI-assisted surgery is valued at around $40 billion as per a report from Accenture, but, if we have a look at the ability of robots to analyze various data from pre-op medical records, they can play a crucial role by guiding the surgeons' instruments during the surgery process, which would ultimately lead to a 21% reduction in hospital stays for the patients. This is surely coming with a lot of benefits for the patients in the process as lesser time in hospital would cost less for all the insurance companies and hospitals, too.

On the other side, AI-assisted surgery has proved to be more effective, with almost five times lower complications occurred than the surgeons operating on their own, as per a study published in The Spine Journal.

Currently, the robots have a role to play in both eye surgeries and heart surgeries. The Da Vinci, which is been deemed as the most advanced surgical robot, has successfully operated with the human eye around seven months back. As predicted earlier, the robot has been able to successfully carry out the required processes with better control and expertise.

Image Analysis

Until June of 2018, image analysis was a process which used to consume a lot of time. That was simply because the fact that the humans need to do a detailed analysis which could take up to two hours or more in order to witness a change in the 3D medical scans.

So we must thank the MIT-led research team, which has introduced a machine-learning algorithm that can easily analyze 3D scans up to 1,000 times faster than the past. All of the changes have been studied in real time which has further allowed the surgeons to react more promptly during the operations.

AI is potentially been seen as a major help in improving all the radiology tools. This has ensured that instead of collecting the tissue samples via biopsies (which creates a situation causing infection to the patient) the AI-powered tool would analyze the images with a very close registration. All these tools are currently being piloted.

AI's future in Healthcare

AI is still in its infancy period in the Healthcare domain but it's still crystal clear that they have a crucial role to play in the same field with all the required tools and systems, which can help patients getting treated in a faster manner. As we are still utilizing the robots in many cell therapies, there's every chance of seeing more advancements in the AI processes, along with their ability to interpret data in order to make the overall application and administration of medicine, much easier.