July 15.19K

SEX SEX SEX HITS ‘POWER-DRUNK’ AZMIN CARTEL? SELANGOR MB THE LATEST TO
BE ‘EXPOSED’ IN HOTEL CCTV FOOTAGE – BUT DENIES HAVING AN AFFAIR
WITH ASSEMBLYWOMAN. WILL MORE SHOCKING CLIPS EMERGE?

CCTV footage has recently surfaced allegedly showing him and the woman in a hotel in Sandakan on May 11.Amirudin said he had consulted his lawyer and would take legal action if necessary.“I am confident I was not at the location as claimed as I was in Kuala Lumpur at the time,” he told reporters after opening the “Sayangi Generasiku” carnival, organised by Pemadam, here today.He said although he was not affected by the allegations, he was concerned that such mudslinging had become the culture in politics.

“When people want to kill you (politically) but cannot find any wrongdoing, they create slander.” -– Bernama

KUALA SELANGOR: Selangor Mentri Besar Amirudin Shari denies allegations that he is having an extra-marital affair. “I don’t know why I am being targeted. “As a matter of fact, I am also very sure that I was never at the location mentioned in the allegations as I was in Kuala Lumpur throughout the period,” said Amirudin when met at a drug prevention campaign at SMK Kuala Selangor on Wednesday (July 10).

A website had published an article on Tuesday (July 9) alleging that Amirudin was having an illicit relationship with a woman. According to the article, CCTV footage from a hotel in Sandakan, Sabah showed Amirudin and the woman – who is allegedly a state assemblyman – taken during the Sandakan by-election period on May 11. The article has since been taken offline. He reckoned the allegations were cooked-up after he criticised the style of “gutter and sewage politics” being used today.

“I am convinced this will not adversely affect me as an individual but I worry it will impact the political culture,” said Amirudin. He added he had discussed the matter with his lawyers to find out who is behind the allegations. Asked if he believed the character assassination attempt came from within his party, PKR, Amirudin said he had no idea. However, he voiced concern that defaming others had become the political culture in the country. Last month, Santubong PKR Youth chief Haziq Abdullah Abdul Aziz, admitted that he was the one seen in viral footage of two men having a romp in bed, taken during the Sandakan by-election. Haziq, who has since been sacked from PKR, claimed that the other man in the video was Economics Affairs Minister Datuk Seri Azmin Ali. Azmin has vehemently denied the allegations, saying it was a “nefarious plot” to end his political career. – THE STAR BERNAMA / THE STAR

----------

FROM GAY SEX TO KAMASUTRA & NOW MAID RAPE: VORACIOUS SEX SCANDALS
OF MALAYSIAN POLITICIANS BOGGLE THEIR VOTERS

KUALA LUMPUR – The shocking allegation that a Perak state executive councillor (exco) had raped his Indonesian domestic worker epitomised concerns about power abuse involving politicians and their inner circle. The Tronoh assemblyman, Paul Yong from DAP, later denied the allegation and maintained his innocence before pledging cooperation with the investigation. Perak Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu has since said the decision on his position as exco will be determined once the investigation is completed. Such allegations are not unprecedented. In the past two years alone, several accusations against politically-affiliated persons over sexual abuse and harassment have surfaced, although not all of them were in the end found guilty.

Malay Mail lists down five of them:

1. Penang assemblyman’s aide accused of molesting student (charged, case ongoing)

In July 2017, L. Prem Anand — a former aide to a Penang assemblyman from DAP — pleaded not guilty to the charge of using criminal force to outrage the modesty of a college student. The former Penang city councillor was accused of committing the offence at about 11.30pm earlier in July that year against a 21-year-old woman at a carpark of an entertainment outlet on Beach Street in George Town.

The court was told during the trial that he had groped the student’s genitals and asked her to stimulate his genitals using either her hand or orally. When she refused, he masturbated and ejaculated on her. Following his arrest, Paya Terubong assemblyman Yeoh Soon Him clarified that Prem Anand already quit as his aide a month prior. His trial is still ongoing, after he was ordered to enter his defence in November 2018.

2. Deputy minister’s aide caught taking upskirt shot (investigated, status unknown)

An aide of Deputy Home Minister Datuk Mohd Azis Jamman was investigated after he was caught recording under the skirt of a woman at an optical shop Sri Hartamas, which was captured in a CCTV recording in September last year. The 1:46-minute clip showed the unnamed aide dressed in a dark blue, long-sleeved shirt scooting one seat over to the woman dressed in a black dress while she was performing a check-up on Mohd Azis, dressed in a long-sleeved grey shirt. During the check-up, the aide could be seen holding his smartphone with his left hand, at times dipping it below her dress.

The Parti Warisan Sabah’s Sepanggar MP swiftly sacked his aide after the news got out, claiming the man would tarnish his image and credibility as a deputy minister. He also apologised for the incident. In September last year, the police said the investigation was nearly wrapped but no updates were made known after that.

3. Sabah official’s aide accused of raping two women (investigated, cleared by police)

The political secretary to a senior Sabah state official was accused in October last year by two Indonesian women of raping and sexually abusing them. A Sabah-based news blog had published an article and video showing two women alleging they were picked up by the aide and his friend, before they were held hostage for a week in Nabawan where they were physically and sexually abused, and threatened with a gun and samurai sword.

The aide then lodged a police report denying ever knowing the women, and claimed that the article was an attempt to sully his political career, job and name. The person had then been a candidate for a senior post in the PKR Youth wing but was ultimately unsuccessful. Sabah police chief Datuk Omar Mammah later revealed the aide was never named in the reports the women lodged. An unidentified 31-year-old suspect was later arrested by the police, but it was uncertain what happened to the investigation.

4. Perlis MP accused of sexually harassing minor (discharged but not acquitted)

Arau MP Datuk Seri Shahidan Kassim was investigated in October last year following a complaint accusing him of sexually harassing a 15-year-old girl in Perlis. The victim from Arau had written in her police report that she was told by her teacher that the former minister had wanted to see her after he saw her perform with a band at Stadium Tuanku Syed Putra.

The unnamed girl claimed that the talk with the former minister took place in his car and that he had offered to pay her RM4,000 to perform in Kuala Lumpur, while holding her hand and caressing her shoulder. She later fled. But Shahidan claimed he had asked to meet the girl and her entire family in his car after watching the street performance as he wanted to give them some money.

The police report was later retracted by the family, with Shahidan denying he paid them off. But the police said investigation would still continue, regardless. This comes after the father of the girl claimed that the case was “amicably settled”, and it was “blown out of proportion”. Shahidan was finally charged with physical sexual assault on a child in November 2018 after previously failing to turn up in court, leading even to an arrest warrant.

The hearing was again postponed after Shahidan was reportedly admitted to a hospital. In April this year, Shahidan was given a discharge not amounting to acquittal after his accuser dropped her complaint. The judge made the decision behind closed doors after hearing three witnesses, including the alleged victim.

5. Perak MP accused of sexual harassment (investigated, status unknown)

PKR’s Sungai Siput MP S. Kesavan was accused by a woman of alleged sexual harassment by showing her pornographic images and illustrations from the Kama Sutra erotic book in May this year. Kesavan, in turn, claimed that the woman — whom he described as a lawyer, married with two children and living in Puchong, Selangor — was harassing him and his family and interfering with his parliamentary duties by making false and malicious allegations. Police then revealed that the woman was of Indian ethnicity and said to be a former research officer and an ex-treasurer of the Sungai Siput PKR branch, and had complained of being molested by a man said to be an MP several times since December 2018.

After the case blew up, PKR said it would not hesitate to take disciplinary action against Kesavan if the allegations turned out to be true. The Joint Action Group for Gender Equality had urged PKR to instead to conduct an internal investigation by itself, and review the party’s policy regarding the issue. No update has been revealed of the investigation, and no action has been taken by PKR since. – Malay Mail

----------

KHAIRY TO JUMP SHIP WITH NAJIB RETURNING TO POWER IN BN? SO WHAT –
NAJIB MORE IMPORTANT TO ‘MONEY-CRAZED’ UMNO-BN THAN ‘LONE WOLF’ ‘ABOUT TO DEFECT ANYWAY’ KJ

FOR urbanites, Najib Razak is a villain who brought Malaysia into debt which the country is struggling to pay and who robbed its institutions of integrity. But to rural folk, especially Malays, the former prime minister represents quite the opposite. To those living in the hinterland, Najib is a caring leader who looks after the little people with cash aid and subsidies. Political scientist Dr Mazlan Ali said it is this appeal that has allowed him back into the Barisan Nasional coalition as an adviser.

It is why BN now deems him an asset even though he was responsible for its historic downfall in the 14th general election. More than a year after the shock defeat, the Pekan MP has reinvented himself as a man of the people through his “Malu Apa Bossku” roadshow, to which voters disappointed with Pakatan Harapan have flocked. Najib also has the biggest social media presence among BN leaders. He has 4.13 million followers on Twitter and 3.88 million following him on Facebook.

He has also used his three decades of experience in the government to poke holes in PH’s policies, said analyst Mohd Azlan Zainal. “Najib is seen as being more sensitive and strategic in positioning himself compared to other Umno leaders who are more interested in playing up race and religious issues,”  said Azlan of think-tank Ilham Centre. “His appointment as BN adviser is the correct move for the coalition as he knows the twists and turns of government. Also, other opposition parties, specifically, PAS, has accepted Umno and are willing to forgive Najib.”

Other analysts, such as Dr James Chin of the University of Tasmania, disagreed that Najib is an asset just because he has a large social media following. “(He is) a liability. Most people accept that he was responsible for the 1MDB scandal. Social media is not real life,” said Chin, referring to 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB), the state fund that was Najib’s brainchild and from which he allegedly stole RM50 billion.

Najib faces multiple criminal charges over 1MDB’s missing funds.

Anti-graft authorities have initiated court action to seize RM270 million of 1MDB funds that Najib allegedly siphoned off and distributed among individuals and parties linked to BN. The bulk of the money allegedly went to Umno. Yet despite Najib’s ongoing high-profile trial for corruption and power abuse in connection with SRC International, BN believe its new advisory board chairmtan can help it to regain the people’s confidence.

To the low-income segment of the Malay population, Najib’s alleged crimes are forgivable as he was a “generous” patron who gave them plenty of aid, said Mazlan of UTM. Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad has repeatedly mocked Najib for his “cash is king” approach to politics. But the poor think quite differently of Najib’s largesse. “During Najib’s time, they got all sorts of aid and subsidies. But now during PH’s time, rubber prices are down and the aid and subsidies have dried up,” Mazlan said.

“To these people, Najib’s corruption cases are his personal issues. What’s important is that he helped them when he was prime minister.” BN is hoping Najib’s newfound popularity will boost its chances in the next general election, especially in 30 marginal seats with a significant percentage of Malay voters, said Mazlan. Ilham Centre’s Azlan said the complexity of Najib’s SRC International trial has been a blessing for the accused.

Many do not understand court procedures and that the wheels of justice in this case are moving slowly and carefully to ensure a fair trial “Some are questioning why it is taking so long to take action when PH is in power. So the question is, is Najib really guilty or not?

Coupled with the “Malu Apa Bossku” roadshows designed to burnish his image, Azlan said Najib could further push the idea that his corruption charges were politically motivated. “PH needs to immediately start serving the people, showing it is sensitive to religious and economic issues and fulfil its promises instead of just blaming Najib, because the reality is, Najib has lost,” said Azlan. “If PH fails in this, he said, public perception of Najib could quickly change from liability to persecuted figure.” – https://www.themalaysianinsight.com

‘Suddenly I’m not so happy where I am’ – KJ strides off after query on Najib

Former Umno Youth chief Khairy Jamaluddin today said he is “suddenly not so happy” about where he is, just two days after declining to join Bersatu and stating that he was “quite happy” about his position in Umno. Khairy was swarmed by journalists at the Parliament lobby this evening where he was asked about former prime minister Najib Abdul Razak’s appointment as the BN advisory board chairperson. The Rembau MP raised his eyebrows and widened his eyes but stayed silent for two seconds.

He then said: “Suddenly, I am not so happy where I am”. Khairy, who was surrounded by journalists, then strode off, trying to make his way through the circle. Surprised journalists then followed him for further comments but Khairy did not entertain them. Yesterday, Najib (photo) was appointed as the BN advisory board chairperson. His appointment came less than two weeks after Ahmad Zahid Hamidi resumed his duties as Umno president and BN chairperson.

Najib is facing 42 charges of money laundering, abuse of power and criminal breach of trust while Zahid is facing 87 graft-related charges. On Monday, Khairy was asked about Bersatu Youth chief Syed Saddiq Abdul Rahman’s invitation for him to join Bersatu. However, Khairy declined, stating “I’m quite happy where I am, thank you”. Meanwhile, Umno veteran Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah (photo) said he was surprised by Najib’s appointment as this was not informed to Umno members before this.

“But I suppose this is good as he is an active member of Umno which is a member of BN…We can get his practical experience to be passed to us in the light of the problems we are facing today,” he said when met at Parliament’s lobby today. When asked if this means the Umno warlord emerged and defeated the reformist faction, he said: “Maybe.” “I think this is just a passing phase, and also maybe, this is only a test for all of us. Afterall, Umno doesn’t belong to members of Umno alone but also belongs to the whole (Malay) community. The same with BN as it is a national party,” he said.

“We are going to be tested about what kind of advice we should accept,” he said. Apart from Najib, other Umno leaders who recently reemerged include Ahmad Zahid Hamidi – who is facing 87 corruption and other charges – reclaiming his Umno presidency and the appointment of Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor as BN secretary-general. These leaders are seen as Umno warlords. “Well, I think they are going to clear themselves. That’s what they said, so we will wait and see. This is not (only) happening to Umno as other parties also have problems,” he said.

“I suppose the name (of Najib) still rings in the ear,” Tengku Razaleigh said. When met at Parliament earlier today, both PAS president Abdul Hadi Awang and secretary-general Takiyuddin Hassan declined to comment about Najib’s appointment. “The president will issue a statement,” said Takiyuddin. – M’kini

--------------

ALREADY ROBBED OF BILLIONS BY NAJIB & CO, CRUEL UMNO-BN ALSO ‘FORCED’
THE PEOPLE TO LEND THEM RM18 BILLION TO COVER GOVT’S INCOME SHORTFALL

THE previous Barisan Nasional government used money due to taxpayers for goods and services tax (GST) refunds to pay for other expenses because of a shortfall in its income, a parliamentary select committee has found. The Public Accounts Committee (PAC) found that BN overestimated its income and dipped into the GST refunds account, sources told The Malaysian Insight. The money was not “stolen” or “robbed” as claimed by Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng when he revealed the “missing” funds in the Dewan Rakyat in August last year.

“The Customs Department was expected to contribute a certain amount to the Treasury but when it was insufficient, the previous government used the refunds for its own expenditure,” a parliament source told The Malaysian Insight. “Taxpayers were literally forced to lend the money to the government.”    PAC was tasked with looking into the case of the “missing” RM18 billion in GST refunds after Lim revealed that only RM1.486 billion remained in an account dedicated to GST refunds. The amount was insufficient to cover the RM19.4 billion owed to taxpayers.

Of the amount, RM9.2 billion was for refunds owing for 2018, RM6.8 billion (2017), RM2.8 billion (2016) and RM600 million (2015). GST began on April 1, 2014. PAC chairman Dr Noraini Ahmad yesterday said the committee’s report on the GST refunds would be tabled in the Dewan Rakyat next Tuesday and made available to the public on the Parliament website. As a result of the missing GST refunds, the new government included a one-off special dividend of RM30 billion from Petronas to facilitate the tax refunds in Budget 2019.

Lim’s revelations prompted PAC to start a probe into where the money had gone. PAC originally planned to table its report last November and then again in the last sitting but after a change of chairman from Ronald Kiandee to Noraini, it was announced that the report will be tabled in the current sitting. “PAC also had to recall some of the people interviewed last year due to the change in members,” another source said. “Another reason for the delay was due to the recommendations. One or two members could not agree on that and wanted to insert something about how the government handles future shortfalls. “But that was out of PAC’s term of reference. The report should be finalised tomorrow,” said the source. In the course of the investigations, PAC interviewed Lim, former auditor-general Madinah Mohamad and director-general of Customs Subromaniam Tholasy. Lim’s statement in the Dewan Rakyat last August, where he used the word “merompak” (robbed) to accuse BN of being responsible for the missing funds, led to Rembau MP Khairy Jamaluddin lodging a police report over the finance minister’s claim. Police also recorded Lim’s statement. – https://www.themalaysianinsight.com

---------

SHOCK MAID RAPE: DAP’S PAUL YONG ‘BAFFLED’ & ENRAGED AT ‘UNFOUNDED’ ALLEGATIONS –
WELCOMES PROBE AS COPS RELOCATE MAID TO ‘SAFE LOCATION’ FOR QUESTIONING

IPOH: Perak state executive councillor (exco) Paul Yong Choo Kiong who was accused of raping his Indonesian maid, has maintained his innocence. The Housing, Local Government, Public Transport, Non-Islamic Affairs and New Villages Committee chairman said he had never raped or sexually assaulted her, and believed that justice and truth would prevail. “I am totally shocked and baffled by the allegation, which is unfounded. I hereby unequivocally and categorically deny it. “While maintaining my total innocence, I have given my full cooperation to the police and brought witnesses to assist in the investigation to show that the allegation is false.

“Meanwhile, I respect the due process of the law. I will allow the police to carry out their professional and independent investigation,” he said in a statement today. State police chief Datuk Razarudin Husain said the 23-year-old Indonesian had been taken to a safe location. Razarudin said the woman was staying at the place until the investigation papers were referred to the federal police and the deputy public prosecutor. “We have received a police report from an Indonesian woman aged 23 on Monday who claimed that she was raped at a house in Meru, here, by her employer, who is also one of the state excos.

“Following the report, police have conducted investigations by recording the victim’s statement. We have also taken her to the hospital for further checks,” he said, adding that the case was being investigated under Section 376 of the Penal Code. The exco line-up swearing-in which was scheduled to take place at Istana Iskandariah, Kuala Kangsar, before Sultan of Perak Sultan Nazrin Muizzuddin Shah tomorrow has reportedly been postponed.  – NSY

--

NGA: AUTHORITIES TO PROBE CLAIM PERAK DAP EXCO RAPED HIS MAID

IPOH – Perak DAP chairman Nga Kor Ming said that the party will let authorities conduct a full investigation into the allegation that a Perak executive councillor from DAP had sexually assaulted his Indonesian maid.”This is a very serious allegation and the party views the matter with grave concern. “As a police report had been lodged yesterday, the party is of the view that no one is above the law and as such will leave it to the authorities to conduct a full investigation,” he said in a statement.

Nga also said that appropriate action will be taken depending on the outcome of the investigation by the authorities. Meanwhile, the implicated Perak executive councillor had reportedly told the local Chinese media that he is innocent. The state assemblyman had reportedly said that he will give his full cooperation to the police. It was learnt that the victim lodged a report at the Jelapang Police Station here yesterday. Malay Mail attempted to contact the said DAP leader, but could not reach him for comment. – Malay Mail

----------

The Top 20 JESUS Quotes Some People Wish Never Existed
Follow Dr. Aaron Tabor, MD

It’s a sad fact but some people who claim to follow Jesus do not like what Jesus said, or at least ignore He said it. Here are 20 quotes some people wish never existed.

1. “Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.” [John 13:16 KJV]

2. “Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. Matthew 7:1-2 KJV]

3. “And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?” [Luke 6:41 KJV]

4. “Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.” [Matthew 5:9 KJV]

5. “Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?” [Matthew 6:26]

6. “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.” [John 8:7 KJV]

7. “But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?” [1 John 3:17 KJV]

8. “Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.” [Matthew 9:35]

9. “Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.” [Matthew 23:28 KJV]

10. “Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.” [Matthew 25:41-43 KJV]

11. “For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” [Matthew 25:34-40 KJV]

12. “Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” [Matthew: 11:28 KJV]

13. “For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.” [Luke 12:48 KJV]

14. “And he said, Woe unto you also, ye lawyers! for ye lade men with burdens grievous to be borne, and ye yourselves touch not the burdens with one of your fingers.” [Luke 11:46 KJV]

15. “But Jesus said unto them, They need not depart; give ye them to eat.” [Matthew 14:16 KJV]

16. “But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.” [Matthew 12:7 KJV]

17. “And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.” [Matthew 6:5 KJV]

18. “Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.” [Matthew 22:37]

19. “And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.” [Matthew 19:24 KJV]hy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.” [Matthew 22:37-40 KJV]

20. “And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers’ money, and overthrew the tables; And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father’s house an house of merchandise.”[John 2:14-16 KJV]

-----------

Tim Allen Reveals What Led Him to Jesus
Follow Dr. Aaron Tabor, MD

He is known for his comedy and fun films, but actor Tim Allen isn’t joking about his faith in Christ. Tim Allen is a strong believer and shared his personal life battles that lead him to the Lord. Allen is very successful and happy today, but this wasn’t always his story. His dad was killed by an intoxicated driver when he was only 11 years old. Young Allen started to ask God about his dad’s death and why it happened. “I knew my father was dead, but I was never satisfied with why he was dead. I wanted answers that minute from God. ‘Do you think this is funny? Do you think this is necessary?’ And I’ve had a tumultuous relationship with my creator ever since.” Allen stated.

To manage his emotions and pain, Allen, unfortunately, leaned on drugs and drinking. In 1978, Allen was caught with more than 650 grams of cocaine and confessed to other charges. He spent 2 years in prison as a result. After being released, Allen’s comedy became a priority and things began to change. The sitcom Home Improvement, the Disney film The Santa Clause, Wild Hogs, Toy Story and more were the results. Allen still hadn’t managed all of his thoughts and emotions despite his positive career changes. “For years, I just did not like this idea of God, church,” he said. “(I was) still a churchgoer, but constantly a cynic.”

It was a complicated mindset, but Allen wanted to grow closer to God. “Whoever built me, this is too much, too weird that it happened by accident,” Allen said. “It didn’t happen by accident.” He nicknamed God as “The Builder.” “I always do ask… The Builder, what did you want me to do?” Allen stated. “And I do ask it. But you got to be prepared for the answer.” Allen gave his life to the Lord after his personal challenges and increased faith in Christ.

Allen found ways to express his faith in his sitcom Last Man Standing by incorporating Jesus Christ into the script of a recent episode. Despite getting flack for discussing his faith, the scene shows that Allen, just like in real life, refuses to back down. Allen continues to demonstrate that no man is ‘too far gone’. He enjoys his life, family, and career and praises God for his forgiveness and love.

--------

SECRETS you NEVER KNEW about the film “Jesus of Nazareth”
Follow Dr. Aaron Tabor, MD

Ernest Borgnine talks about the film “Jesus of Nazareth” Jesus of Nazareth was a 1977 British-Italian television miniseries directed by Franco Zeffirelli and co-written by Zeffirelli, Anthony Burgess, and Suso Cecchi d’Amico which dramatises the birth, life, ministry, crucifixion, and resurrection of Jesus. It starred Robert Powell as Jesus. The miniseries featured an all-star cast of famous American and European actors, including seven Academy Award winners: Anne Bancroft, Ernest Borgnine, Laurence Olivier, Christopher Plummer, Anthony Quinn, Rod Steiger, and Peter Ustinov.

We would like to share a favorite verse of ours with you today.
Romans 8:28: “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” God Bless!

---------

Hugh Jackman says “I’m a Christian!” “I dedicate every performance to God”
Follow Dr. Aaron Tabor, MD

Hugh Jackman wanted to set the record straight.

Famous actor Hugh Jackman, known for his starring roles as the Marvel comics mutant ‘Wolverine’ and most recently in the hit movie musical “The Greatest Showman”, has spoke out about his Christian faith. In an interview with Parade Magazine, Jackman candidly admitted to being “brought up very religious.” Jackman also says he was “brought up with a religious sense of giving back.”

“I’m a Christian. I used to go to different evangelists’ [revival] tents all the time. When I was about 13, I had a weird premonition that I was going to be onstage, like the preachers I saw,” he said. Jackman added that acting gives him a sense of peace. “There are things driving me that aren’t all healthy—[needing] approval and respect to fill some hole who-knows-where in me,” he said.”Am I worthy? All those fears. Through acting, I’m able to find a level of bliss and peace and calm and joy. And it feels natural.” 

He also called himself a “religious person” and said he dedicates each one of his performances to God.  “This is going to sound weird to you. In Chariots of Fire the runner Eric Liddell says, ‘When I run, I feel His pleasure.’ And I feel that pleasure when I act and it’s going well, particularly onstage,” Jackman said.

It is thought that his new film, Apostle Paul, will focus on Paul’s conversion, his ministry and his imprisonment. Jackman will also produce the film, along with Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. The screenplay is currently being written by Matt Cook. “I am given opportunities, more money than I could ever need. If you see money or fame as energy, then use it to help others. Paul Newman did that. That’s what inspired me to start Laughing Man.”

Hugh serves as an ambassador for World Vision Australia. In 1999, he traveled to Ethiopia to visit a community development project and met a young coffee farmer named Dukale, working to lift his family out of poverty. Inspired by Dukale’s story, Jackman launched Laughing Man Coffee in 2011 to provide a marketplace for farmers in developing countries to sell their goods to consumers in the U.S. As part of his ongoing commitment, Hugh contributes 100% of his profits to the Laughing Man Foundation, which he created to support educational programs, community development and social entrepreneurs around the world. According to Christian Today, Jackman had “previously distanced himself from the evangelical church, telling Parade magazine in 2009 that he found it too ‘restrictive.’”

--------

Remember… I love you
Follow Dr. Aaron Tabor, MD

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”

Matthew 14:29–30

Walk on Water

When Peter and the disciples were out on the Sea of Galilee, they didn’t anticipate the storm that blew in around them. And they certainly didn’t expect to see someone walking toward them across the waves! Although Jesus identified himself, Peter wanted proof.

“If you’re really the Master,” Peter yelled, “tell me to come meet you!” So, of course, Jesus did just that. And without thinking about it, Peter got out of the little boat and put one foot in front of the other. He took a step and then another—until suddenly his faith gave way to logic, reason, and fear. How in the world could he be walking on water?

Christ makes it clear to Peter and to us that faith sustains us, taking us far beyond what we believe possible. Even when we fall and find ourselves foundering and sputtering in deep waters, Jesus rescues us and gets us back on our feet.

Pray: “I want to have the kind of faith Peter displayed, Lord. The kind that gets out of the boat and takes the next step, with my eyes fixed on you.”

---------

Arsenal defender Koscielny refuses to travel to US for pre-season tour
[Goal.com]

Laurent Koscielny has refused to travel for Arsenal's pre-season tour of the USA, the Gunners have confirmed.The Frenchman is the north London club's captain but they are reportedly open to offers for him this summer  as Unai Emery looks to reshape his defence.  Koscielny has been a long-term servant at Arsenal having first joined them in 2010. He missed the first half of last season with a serious achilles injury that ruled him out for 10 months, a duration that included the 2018 World Cup which his nation France went on to win.

A club statement on Thursday morning read: "Laurent Koscielny has refused to travel to the US for our pre-season tour. "We are very disappointed by Laurent’s actions, which are against our clear instructions.  "We hope to resolve this matter and will not be providing any further comment at this time." Arsenal are reportedly ready to let Koscielny's contract, which expires in 12 months time, run down. A return to France for the centre-back has been widely mooted, the 33-year-old having previously played for Lorient, Tours and Guinamp in his homeland. Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen are also said to be interested in signing him.

But a number of big-money offers from Ligue 1 have apparently turned the Frenchman's head. Bordeaux are beleived to want to sign him on a three-year contract, and 33-year-old Koscielny keen on securing long-term security. Arsenal are set to announce the signing of 18-year-old Saint-Etienne centre-back William Saliba for  £26.5 million ($33m), having fought off competition from north London rivals Tottenham for his signature.  Saliba's arrival would likely see Koscielny move further down the defensive peckin order at the Emirates and he is keen to get regular first-team action in the latter years of his career. The Gunners are also persuing Celtic left-back Kieran Tierney, having submitted a £15m bid for the defender already, but the Hoops value him at £25m ($31m). And new technical director Edu, who will oversee recruitment as part of his new role, will have a say on any future investments, with Crystal Palace forward Wilfried Zaha another key target this summer.

-----------

What Laurent Koscielny told stunned Arsenal chiefs as Gunners captain refuses to attend US tour

Laurent Koscielny told stunned Arsenal officials on the morning of their flight to the United States that he would remain in England to train by himself. The Frenchman is determined to leave the club after nine years in north London and made those feelings clear towards the end of the last season. However, the 33-year-old clearly is unhappy with his current prospects of leaving the Emirates and has taken matters into his own hands by refusing to attend the club’s tour of the United States. The veteran returned to pre-season training earlier this week and was expected to form part of Unai Emery’s travelling squad to the United States.

But Koscielny stunned Arsenal by announcing at the club’s training ground on Thursday that he had no intention of going on the tour and would train by himself while the Gunners are Stateside. The news is said to have ‘stunned’ Arsenal officials according to Goal and the Gunners condemned Koscielny’s actions in a statement at lunchtime. Koscielny wants to return to his homeland France and feels that Arsenal should release him from his contract as a goodwill gesture for showing loyalty to the club since he joined in 2010. However, the defender has one year to run on his deal and Arsenal have the option of extending that by a further 12 months so they see little reason why they should budge. Arsenal are yet to receive a bid for Koscielny and are unlikely to achieve a significant fee given his ageing years. In an official statement, Arsenal slammed Koscielny’s actions: ‘We are very disappointed by Laurent’s actions, which are against our clear instructions. ‘We hope to resolve this matter and will not be providing any further comment at this time.’

--------

Transfer News: Arsenal plot £31.5 million bid to hijack Everton’s Malcom move

Arsenal are reportedly looking to make a late attempt to hijack Everton’s move for Barcelona winger Malcom as they rapidly seek an alternative to Wilfried Zaha. Arsenal’s pursuit of Wilfried Zaha is turning fruitless as Crystal Palace are showing resilience in their stance for the Ivory Coast forward. Hence, Arsenal are actively looking at alternatives for Zaha in the transfer market. The Sun are reporting of a possible Arsenal bid for Barcelona winger Malcom, with the Gunners hoping to hijack Everton’s move for the Brazilian.

Everton have been on the trails of Malcom for some time now. The Merseysiders were hoping for a quick resolution with Barcelona for the Brazilian and manager Marco Silva would have been wanting to integrate Malcom into the squad for their pre-season games with a view to get him ready for the season opener against Crystal Palace. Everton’s steady business with Barcelona last summer involving the transfers of Lucas Digne, Yerry Mina and Andre Gomes means both clubs share a good rapport. Everton were hoping to lure Malcom in the same way and conduct more business with the Catalans, but Arsenal might be in to wreck their plans for the Brazilian.

Arsenal’s need for a winger in the current window is no secret. The Gunners have been hot on the trails of Crystal Palace forward Zaha, although they have come no closer to meeting his valuation. Palace recently rejected Arsenal’s £40 million bid for their talisman as they want double that amount. Arsenal, with their restricted budget, will be unable to meet those requirements. Hence Unai Emery has seemingly given up on the Zaha chase and wants to explore other options. Bournemouth’s Ryan Fraser is thought to be high on the Arsenal manager’s list, but no deal is closer to a conclusion. Meanwhile, deals for Lucas Vazquez and Mariano Diaz have also been mooted, but Arsenal are not expected to sign either of the Real Madrid players.

However, they now seem to be interested in Barcelona’s Malcom. The Brazilian had been on Arsenal’s list as a replacement for Alexis Sanchez 18 months ago, but stayed put at Bordeaux before joining Barcelona last summer in a €41 million deal. But, he has sparingly featured for the Catalan side. Arsenal, with their modest budget, will be hoping to negotiate a lower fee with Barcelona as the £31.5 million price that is reported will hit their budget hard. Everton, on the other hand, are ready to pay the price up front, which is seemingly forcing Arsenal to try and structure the payment to the Catalans.

However, with Barcelona looking to raise quick cash for the Neymar and Antoine Griezmann deals, Arsenal’s proposal might not appear as attractive as Everton’s, as per the report. But, the Gunners might have a chance to hijack Everton’s move for the he in the case that Malcom himself accepts Arsenal’s offer. Overall, Malcom can fit in this Arsenal side and bring some much-needed flair in Emery’s team. As for Everton, they will not give up on the Brazilian quickly and will look to finalise a deal as soon as possible, so as to land their target man.

---------

The inside story behind Laurent Koscielny row as Arsenal defender goes on STRIKE
EXCLUSIVE: Koscielny is facing disciplinary action and being stripped of club captaincy after refusing to fly to the US
ByJohn CrossChief Football Writer

Laurent Koscielny has gone on strike after a bitter row over a new contract. Koscielny, 33, is now facing disciplinary action and being stripped of the captaincy after refusing to fly with the rest of the Arsenal squad to the United States. But Mirror Sport can reveal the background to the fall-out is that Koscielny has had a three year contract offer from Bordeaux and is also upset at what he sees as being made to take a pay cut by Arsenal.

France defender Koscielny has one year left on his current £120,000-a-week deal, wanted an extension and had held discussions with the club about getting an extra 12 months. Arsenal were willing to give Koscielny a new two year deal but because of his injury record they offered a lower basic salary which included performance-related pay based on appearances and the option for a free transfer next summer.

They also insist he could have ended up earning more with the extension than on his current deal with bonuses especially if Arsenal had got back into the Champions League. But Koscielny rejected the offer, has been left fuming and believes the club should allow him to leave for free now to take up the chance to go home to France with Bordeaux offering a three year deal and that is why he is so upset with Arsenal.

Mirror Sport understands the row has been brewing for some weeks and reached boiling point on Monday when Koscielny turned up and made it clear he did not want to train. Koscielny has ended up training this week but Arsenal feared the stand-off was coming on Wednesday and their club captain reported today but said he did not want to go to the United States.

It is hard to see a way back for Koscielny as, even with the background to the flare-up, fans are unlikely to forgive his actions as he was under contract and the club captain supposed to be setting an example. Arsenal do not want to grant the 33-year-old a free transfer and are now making him report up every day, train with the under-23s while the club are in the United States. Koscielny is certain to face more action including a club fine while Granit Xhaka is favourite to get the armband.

Arsenal took the unusual step of issuing a club statement to go on the front foot and it read: "We are very disappointed by Laurent's actions, which are against our clear instructions. We hope to resolve this matter and will not be providing any further comment at this time.” It is a major headache for Arsenal who are already short defensively and now their captain seems certain to leave after nine years at the club.

Arsenal have already signed St Etienne youngster William Saliba but will loan him back for next season and Rob Holding could miss the start of the season as he battles back from a knee injury. They already wanted another senior centre half even before the Koscielny row and now this will only intensify the search although it could also offer the chance for Konstantinos Mavropanos or Calum Chambers to step up.

--------

Arsenal chaos about to get worse

News from around the Arsenal camp isn’t good heading into the tour of America. The big news is club captain, Laurent K, skipped the flight with the first team. Arsenal uncharacteristically put out a press release that read more like a ‘GOTTA GET IN THERE FIRST’ piece than anything else. It gave no context and it just felt a little lacking in class. As for the player, I’ve heard this has been brewing for a while.

A few things to note. Laurent isn’t exactly captain material. Whatever you might think from looking at his on-pitch persona, he’s not a real leader by any stretch. He’s not a talker and he can apparently be quite difficult. This type of move isn’t par the course for him, but I don’t think it’s totally unexpected from what I hear.

Going on strike isn’t cool however you chop it up. But if you reframe it through his selfish eyes, he’s just come back from a major injury, he’s 33 years old (34 in September), he could break at any point and then any chance he has of retiring to the south of France goes up in the puff of an Achilles. He wants out of Arsenal, he’s getting very little love from a club on terminating his deal because we need all the pennies we can get, so he’s forcing the move.

It’s unprofessional, but at his age, firstly, why would he give a fuck? What is there to play for under Emery? Some players extend for greatness, but he’s not getting that here. Secondly, should it really matter to any elite club that a 33-year-old is going on strike? Our best defender should be 25, not 9 years older.

There are additional ramifications to this. Arsenal has next to no leaders at the club at the minute. Petr Cech was the main guy last season, he’s at Chelsea. Aaron Ramsey has gone. We’ve lost other characters like Lichtsteiner and WELBZ. A lot of the spice in the side has gone. I hear that it’s not good at Colney, no real energy, no good vibes, just flat as a pancake.

Factor in that we’ve told Mustafi he’s surplus, Chambers has been told he can go, Jenks has known his fate for 3 years, Kola might also be up for sale, Ozil, Mikhi, Xhaka rumoured to want out… we are in really big trouble here. We have one decent defender that will start this season, with a partner that won’t be interested when we line up against Newcastle. To make matters worse, the Premier League window closes, but the one in Europe doesn’t. There could be 4-5 players starting that first game that could have their minds on other clubs. It’s an absolute disaster.

There is no leadership at the club whatsoever and that’s why issues like the above are happening. I thought an excellent point was made yesterday. We are in a poor situation financially, and we decided not to make tough squad decisions to remedy our reality. We have two 20+ goal a season strikers, one that is 29 and at the peak of his powers. Liverpool would have sold one for £80m and used the cash to bolster with youth. We decided to up their deals. There seems to have been no plan for a £40m budget we’ve known about since last November.

The biggest worry for me is that this season is all about Emery. There’s no new manager boost incoming. The players don’t care for the man, we saw that towards the end of last season, and we’ve made little effort to bring in names to counter that problem. The true averageness of what we’ve hired is going to come to a head this season. The lack of vision in his hiring will bite us really, really hard.

Wilfried Zaha would liven the starting 11 up, but he has a 5 year deal with Palace and I’m hearing that the valuation Palace have on the player is real and I don’t think it takes a genius to see that the options we’re sending their way are pitiful when it comes to part exchange deals. He’s on a 5 year deal, so they are in no hurry to move him on. So maybe hopes and dreams of them caving are far fetched. This season is careening off the road before a plane has left the tarmac, and that’s before Xhaka is given the captains armband. Arsenal is chaos, it’s staggering how badly we’re being run at the minute.

----------

Laurent Koscielny doesn’t understand how contracts work
The defender is having a bit of a strop.
By pdb@misterpdb Updated Jul 11, 2019, 11:18am EDT

Labor contracts are funny things. They bind you to something or someone for a set period of time, during which you are compensated for your labor at a defined rate of pay. They also spell out things like work conditions, restrictions on outside work, etc. But the funniest thing about a contract is that, if you are one of the parties to an executed contract, it’s all visible to you - you know everything in it, in no small part because you, or your appointed representative, agreed to everything in it.

Which makes this revelation about Laurent Koscielny all the more surprising:

    Koscielny has been dismayed at how Arsenal have triggered a one-year option on his contract to extend him until next summer, believing that he was set to become a free agent in this window.

Having seen out the mandatory portion of his contract, on July 1 Kos entered the club option portion, which is exactly as it sounds - the club had the option to extend his contract for a year, and they chose to do so.

Why did they choose to do so? Easy. Kos is one of Arsenal’s steadiest and best defenders, and even at age 33, Arsenal didn’t want to let him go just yet. All of this was relayed to Kos at the end of last season, when things were looking good for either exercising the option or extending his deal:

    Arsenal/Koscielny talks late last season looked +ve. Back from break, asked for release, refused. Relayed tour decision Wed, confirmed @ Colney today. Flight 1230 without him. Not stripped of captaincy yet, must train or breach contract. #AFC have no offers, he does if free agent
    — David Ornstein (@bbcsport_david) July 11, 2019

So, there we have it. Sometime between May and Monday, Kos decided he didn’t want to play for Arsenal any more, and asked to be released from his contract. Arsenal, in accordance with the contract they have with Kos, refused (I assume politely, because that’s how they roll). Kos apparently really wants to leave, because he...didn’t leave with the team for their tour of the US.

Why does Kos want to leave? I mean, there could be any number of reasons. He’s 33, so maybe he wants one last shot at a title somewhere, or maybe he’s tired of being Arsenal’s only healthy competent defender, or maybe he wants to wind up his career in France.

Either way, it’s a bit of a shock from Koscielny, who up till now has been a loyal servant of the club. Arsenal are, understandably, loath to let him go, and have even taken the rare-for-them step of publicly condemning his actions, saying

    “Laurent Koscielny has refused to travel to the US for our pre-season tour. We are very disappointed by Laurent’s actions, which are against our clear instructions. We hope to resolve this matter and will not be providing any further comment at this time.”

This is, to oversimplify, not what Arsenal need. If Kos wanted to leave, he should have made that clear at the end of the season when the club was talking to him about it; they probably would have accommodated him, not least because he still has some value in the market, and Arsenal need all the players like that they can get right now.

I’m not sure what changed in his mind, but to wait until after your option was exercised (which, again, was not a secret - contracts end June 30 and start July 1, always have) is a bit of a dick move on Kos’ part.

UPDATE 8.15AM:

A tweet was recently brought to my attention that I did not see when writing this piece:

    Laurent Koscielny has for several weeks been asking Arsenal for a mutual termination agreement so that he can accept 1 of the 3 firm offers he has from Ligue 1. They've so far refused.
    — Get French Football News (@GFFN) July 11, 2019

This obviously changes the tone of things quite a bit. All that writing, wasted! Sigh. It turns out Kos does know how contracts work! There will obviously be more twists and turns in this thing, so buckle up.

-----------

Arsenal Defence: Analysing the Level of Football Each of the Gunners' Centre-Backs Should Be Playing
Ed Alexander
11 Jul 2019

Laurent Koscielny has been nothing short of brilliant for Arsenal in his nine years with the club, but he appears to be on his way out of north London. In the increasingly likely event that the Gunners lose their captain, their options in central defence look shabby, to say the least. Even if Koscielny stays, the club are hardly blessed in that department, with Shkodran Mustafi, Rob Holding, Calum Chambers, Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Konstantinos Mavropanos, Sokratis Papastathopoulos and Nacho Monreal joining him at the back.

    BREAKING: Laurent Koscielny has refused to join up with the rest of the Arsenal squad on their US pre-season tour, as he tries to force a move back to France.

    What a captain. Fair play. pic.twitter.com/rIzvxPMcPB
    — Footy Accumulators (@FootyAccums) July 11, 2019

It's not exactly an inspiring selection of centre-backs. With that collection of players, ?Arsenal certainly won't be challenging for the ?Premier League title. In fact, they'd be lucky to seal a top-four spot. To determine just how screwed Unai Emery is next season, here's an assessment of each defender's quality and what level of football they should really be playing at.

Shkodran Mustafi

I don't believe that Mustafi is an actual footballer. No, he must be a comedian or some kind of jester. He's doing a great job at making people laugh, to be fair, though Gooners won't find it remotely entertaining. If you tried to hunt down a highlights reel of the German's time at the Emirates Stadium, you'd probably come up empty-handed. All he has done since his £35m (!!!) switch from Valencia is make error after error and leave his teammates worried.

Mustafi should be sent back to his home country at the next available opportunity, even if Emery has to drive him there himself. The club have apparently looked to offload the 27-year-old on numerous occasions but are yet to receive a high enough fee - they'd be well advised to accept whatever they can get.

Where He Should Be: German Third Division

Rob Holding

Virgil van Dijk, Aymeric Laporte, Antonio Rudiger; these are the kinds of defender that will lead a team to glory, the type which you can use as a foundation for success. Holding isn't. He's far from a disappointment, often looking like the sturdiest option for Emery. However, it has been obvious for most of his three seasons with the Gunners that the youngster is not at the required standard. Mistakes come rarely, but outstanding performances are even less frequent. Holding regularly fails to make an impact in matches and would be better off plying his trade with a promotion-chasing Championship side.

Where He Should Be: Top-End Championship

Calum Chambers

Chambers was purchased too soon. Arsene Wenger would have had hardly any time to make a proper evaluation of the ex-Southampton starlet when he snapped him up as a teenager. 22 Premier League appearances in his only campaign in the Saints' first-team suggested this kid had potential and could develop into a superb central-defender. Unfortunately, there has been little progress after his switch to the Emirates in 2014. Chambers is not at all a bad player to have in the squad, but he is clearly a weak link for elite opponents to exploit. He found his level at ?Fulham last term and should expect to be in relegation dogfights for much of his career if he wants to be a guaranteed starter in the top-flight.

Where He Should Be: Premier League Relegation Battlers

Konstantinos Mavropanos

Injuries make it difficult to say whether Mavropanos has the right stuff for Arsenal. Some of his displays at the back have been rather impressive, but they are few and far between after fitness issues restricted the Greek defender to just seven matches in all competitions following a move from PAS Giannina. Even when he was available, Emery seemed averse to selecting the 21-year-old. The coach will know more about his players' abilities than anyone else and evidently doesn't trust him when it really matters. Perhaps, they should simply cash-in and forget about this failed experiment. You'd expect to see Mavropanos battling it out for a Qarabag or BATE Borisov on a Thursday night, occasionally making an eye-catching block before firing a bullet header past his own goalkeeper. You definitely wouldn't expect to see him guarding the net of a 'Big Six' team.

Where He Should Be: Europa League Randomer

Laurent Koscielny

Koscielny is yearning for a return to his native France, where he would be able to spend the remainder of his playing days at a slightly slower pace. Given that he is now 33, that probably sounds ideal. Of course, he wouldn't make the cut at Paris Saint-Germain, but the drop-off in quality between Thomas Tuchel's team means that the Arsenal skipper would likely be challenging for a starting berth at nearly every other Ligue 1 outfit. He's earned the right to leave London on his own terms, having been a superb servant for the Gunners. Let him go and enjoy what's left of his time on the field.

Where He Should Be: Any French Team That Isn't Paris Saint-Germain

Nacho Monreal

Monreal in a back-four is a bad idea. Monreal in a back-five works splendidly. Emery is a fan of the latter formation and should, therefore, keep the Spaniard around. The ex-Malaga man lacks the height for a two-man partnership in the heart of defence, whilst he has lost the speed which made him well-suited to the full-back position. However, his skill-set is of huge value when he has more cover around to make up for his short stature. Anyone who doubts Monreal's competence in the Premier League should read up on what makes a solid defender. He's reliable, driven and actually makes a difference when handed a start. No wonder Emery was so eager to have him ?sign on for another year.

Where He Should Be: Arsenal

Sokratis Papastathopoulos

If he wasn't as slow as an asthmatic tortoise then Sokratis would be a first-rate defender. Even though he's a bit of a slouch across the turf, the Greek international is still superior to almost all of his alternatives, reading the game well and dominating aerially. Much like Monreal, his faults are minimalised in a five-at-the-back system, making him a good fit for Emery and the Arsenal side he hopes to build; best make sure he's got some speedier centre-backs about, though.

Where He Should Be: Arsenal

----------

Laurent Koscielny: Yesterday’s Man

Today’s post was always about Laurent Koscielny. It was a gentle questioning of his role. I’ve left the opening as it was but I’ve been overtaken by events…

In a little under two months time, Laurent Koscielny celebrates his 34th birthday. It isn’t a momentous number in the great scheme of things. No signs put up in his street with a black and white photo reminding everyone of a youth long gone. There probably won’t be any balloons or ribbons tied to his garage either. In short, it will be just like any other day.

OK, maybe not; he will, I hope, celebrate the day and enjoy ticking off another year on the mental calendar.

In terms of his career, things are different. Were it not for the cruel intervention of fate last year, Koscielny would be contemplating another season in Ligue Un. He and his agent made no secret of his intention to leave Arsenal during the summer of 2018. Injury changed that. As he crumpled to the turf, so did our Europa League hopes. There were other factors at play in Madrid but Koscielny’s injury certainly didn’t help.

But at 34, questions are surfacing in my mind about whether he can cut it in the Premier League any longer? Pace is an issue for any ageing player, be they striker, winger or defender. We saw with Per Mertesacker how damaging getting older can be. The realisation that his playing days were numbered came against Chelsea when Diego Costa, among others, presented him with a silver Zimmer frame. Per knew it was time to move onto his post-playing career.

Koscielny’s Arsenal career is one of phases. The early days, particularly early in a season, always had an own goal, red card or injury in them. Sometimes two of the of three in the same game but with experience came improvement. However, there was always a sense he had a ricket in him; we were never far from a cock-up.
Set Phases to Stunned

Yet the arrival of Shkodran Mustafi drew attention away from Koscielny in that sense. The German’s career is one long brain fart interspersed by moments of sanity. That shows no sign of changing…

    Good to see Mustafi still as composed as ever ??????
    We’re doomed ???????#arsenal pic.twitter.com/ALJ6mtkfrX
    — Mark (@marky249) July 10, 2019

And with these and far, far, worse instances, enhanced Koscielny’s reputation. By comparison, he occupied a plinth next to Beckenbauer, Moore and Krol. Mustafi makes him seem world-class when the reality is that he’s just a very good defender.

Refusing to tour the USA is a step too far. Arsenal are woefully underachieving at the moment which puts all the players on the back foot. Critics must is never far from the surface and this instance, Koscielny deserves both barrels. I would stop short of tar and feathering him but not far.

He is club captain and with that comes responsibility. We are promoting young players and his role is crucial in their development. Supporters constantly remind players on social media of David Rocastle’s words, as well as those of Tony Adams. These are the standards to which a club captain must live up. Koscielny’s arrogance in presuming he can (effectively) strike fall woefully and embarrassingly short.

If there were an important personal issue at stake, he would receive my unfailing sympathy. But to force a move to Bordeaux or Rennes? He can, quite honestly, do one. I think last summer he might have received a favourable hearing at the club. This time, his actions ensure he won’t.
The club said:

    Laurent Koscielny has refused to travel to the US for our pre-season tour.
    We are very disappointed by Laurent’s actions, which are against our clear instructions.
    We hope to resolve this matter and will not be providing any further comment at this time.
    Raul’s Arsenal isn’t as soft as Ivan’s

Don’t Let The Door Hit You On The Arsenal On The Way Out

The reality is that we will accept what is effectively a transfer request. We should, however, withhold all ‘loyalty’ bonuses. I’m sick of the greed shown by clubs, managers and players. Money ripped the heart out of football and these parasites drink its soul.

I hope Koscielny is consigned to the youths while this drama unfolds. If he is still here when the season starts, he can rot away from the first-team. We need players willing to give their all on the pitch. I don’t think he is after one last payday but wanting to return to the less physical Ligue Un is an admission on his part that he is no longer capable of playing in the Premier League. Time for him to go in that case.

---------

Arsenal close to signing 18-year-old Saint-Etienne defender William Saliba in £27million deal
Arsenal are set to sign one of the most exciting young talents in French football
    Sam Dean

Arsenal are closing in on the signing of French teenager William Saliba in a deal worth around £27m. Saliba will be loaned back to Saint-Etienne next season after the French side insisted that the centre-back could not join up with Unai Emery’s side this summer. The nature of the deal means that Arsenal will be able to pay the fee in a greater instalment next summer rather than using up a sizeable chunk of their budget for this transfer window.

Saliba, who is widely regarded as one of the most exciting young talents in French football, has been a long-term target for Arsenal. It is hoped that another season in Ligue 1 will allow him to continue his rapid development before he begins life in the Premier League. Saliba has made only 17 appearances in his senior career but became a regular for the French side towards the end of last season. Saint-Etienne kept five clean sheets in Saliba’s last seven starts of the campaign.

At 6ft 4in tall, he is a commanding physical presence who has been compared to Raphael Varane, the Real Madrid and France defender. The 18-year-old will become Arsenal’s second signing of the summer after another teenager, Brazilian winger Gabriel Martinelli, arrived from Ituano earlier this month. Arsenal remain interested in securing deals for Celtic full-back Kieran Tierney and Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha. It has also emerged that they are among a number of clubs, including Manchester United, to enquire after Southampton midfielder Mario Lemina, who has been left out of his club’s pre-season training camp in Austria.

Meanwhile, Arsenal have confirmed the appointment of former midfielder Edu as their first ever technical director. Edu, who was a member of Arsene Wenger’s ‘Invincibles’ in 2003/04 has left his position as general coordinator of the Brazilian national side following their Copa America triumph. His role as technical director will be to lead Arsenal’s recruitment efforts in the transfer window, oversee the development and promotion of the club’s most talented young players and install a club-wide playing philosophy.

Raul Sanllehi, Arsenal’s head of football, said: “His arrival is the final and very important part of the jigsaw in our development of a new football infrastructure to take us forward. He will be working closely with Unai Emery and the first-team coaches, and will play a relevant role leading our football vision and ensuring we have - and follow - a solid philosophy through all our football activities.”

---------

Koscielny sits this one out
July 11, 2019 by imothyt   

Pretty explosive news this morning and I’d like to start with just the facts as reported in the Guardian (link at bottom).

Facts

    Koscielny showed up for practice and informed the club that he won’t be flying to America for their pre-season tour
    The club released a statement: “Laurent Koscielny has refused to travel to the US for our pre-season tour,” Arsenal wrote. “We are very disappointed by Laurent’s actions, which are against our clear instructions. We hope to resolve this matter and will not be providing any further comment at this time.”

Rumors and murmurs reported in news sources which require verified sources:

    There is debate over Koscielny’s contract
    Arsenal believes Koscielny’s contract was solid until 2020 and that there was an option available to both parties to extend the contract to 2021 at the end of this season
    Koscielny believes that the contract expired this summer, 2019
    Koscielny wants to end his career in France
    The club and player have actually been arguing about this since before the end of the last season (18/19)
    The club don’t want to let Koscielny go for free

Here’s my opinion

For nine years, Laurent Koscielny has given absolutely everything for this club on the pitch. He played a large portion of a season with his achilles tendon hanging on by a string, knowing that his choices were to either play (and suffer excruciating pain when it snapped) or get surgery and sit out at a time when Arsenal desperately needed center backs. He played. He snapped that achilles in a Europa League semi-final match against Atletico Madrid, trying to get this club back into the Champions League.

Laurent Koscielny was once a good center back but he’s not really a serviceable option in the modern Premier League where 33 year olds are routinely eaten alive. Not only his age but he has just recovered from the achilles tear and Unai rushed him back. In his first month of matches he looked like he couldn’t jump as well as before and he has certainly lost a step. That step was crucial to the way that Arsenal play defense (panic) and was one of the main reasons why he was so good for Arsenal for as long as he was. I can’t think that either of Arsenal or Koscielny really want to play him this season.

I also can’t imagine that he’s got much value in a sale. I know that people are already saying things like “he’s worth 5-10 million!!!” but be realistic. First, his age. Second, his injury. Third, he’s on £90k a week. There are only a handful of clubs in Europe who could afford to spend £10m (5m transfer + 5m salary) to “bring in an experienced player”. Remember Lichtsteiner? We paid him £4m a year because we got him on a free. And that was pretty much the dumbest move I’ve seen at Arsenal until the whole Denis Suarez thing. Getting a transfer fee on top of Koz’ salary feels like a non-starter for the clubs he’s getting interest from.

And meanwhile Arsenal are in the midst of a sort of self-inflicted center back crisis. Here are our options:

    Arsenal are supposedly buying Saliba then loaning him back.
    The center back we bought last season, Sokratis, was a middling signing – not great, not crap.
    Holding is a good player, but won’t be available for a few months.
    Monreal is old and not really a center back but has shown he can do the job ok.

That means Arsenal have 3 center backs. Mavropanos is still unproven and I can’t figure out why he’s not used but I guess we have to trust the coaches who see him in training every day. I know Bielik played in CM at Charlton and I think he’s good enough to play CB but we don’t seem interested. Chambers is a bad option (in my opinion): the reason they put him in CM at Fulham (which had one of the worst defenses in the League) was to shield him from his mistakes by having someone sweep up behind him. And we are actively trying to offload Mustafi so much that it’s printed in nearly every article in the Guardian, like some sort of coupon “Mustafi HALF OFF!”.

So, what’s going on here is a bit of a nonce. The club can’t afford to let a player go for free when they could get even £500k out of him. But Koscielny has almost zero sell on value when his salary is £5m (so activating the contract was dumb, if they activated the contract). He’s also a bit of a lodestone – in that his contract at £5m a year is a bit out of whack with what he’s going to be able to contribute this season. And yet Arsenal need Koscielny because he’s one of the best options available, which is a bit depressing.

The club could have won a lot of points here by just letting him go and replacing him but apparently we can’t or won’t do that. And now he’s angry, the club are angry, the supporters are angry, and Arsenal still need to buy a starting center back. I have to admit that I’m slightly worried about that last bit, about recruiting. Even if they are 100% in the right about the contract, Arsenal don’t come across too great in making this public and fighting with a captain over a contract so that they can get a couple of bucks out of him in a sale. And if they aren’t in the right, well then we look truly foolish.

And finally, people are talking about how the great Arsenal captaincy is being tarnished by Koscielny sitting out. Ok, I get it. If you were around in the 90s “the captain” meant something. But Koscielny is one of like what 18 captains now? Plus, the Arsenal captain has been hit or miss since Big Tone left: Vieira flirted with Juve, Henry was an awful captain and left for Barca, Fabregas sat out and forced a cheap transfer, van Persie was just an asshole, Arteta was great, Mertesacker was great, and now Koscielny has been good up until this.

I can’t make up my mind on this whole thing and I don’t have to. I don’t have to “pick sides”. Instead I can just throw up my hands and say that this is more of the same disorder and mess that we have seen for the last 10 years or so. Can’t we just buy the players we need to play good football?

---------

Laurent Koscielny refused to join Arsenal on pre-season tour because of contract offer

Arsenal have a big problem on their hands - and his name is Laurent Koscielny. A statement released by the Gunners on Thursday morning revealed their captain had refused to travel to the US for their pre-season tour. It read: "Laurent Koscielny has refused to travel to the US for our pre-season tour. We are very disappointed by Laurent's actions, which are against our clear instructions. "We hope to resolve this matter and will not be providing any further comment at this time."

Arsenal fans have since been wondering what could have happened behind the scenes for Koscielny to outright refuse to travel. It's widely known that the 33-year-old would like to return to France one day, but he still has another year remaining on his contract and it's not in his nature to rebel. So what's the situation? Well, according to the Mirror, it all stems from Koscielny being left "fuming" after holding transfer talks with Arsenal.

Koscielny reportedly wanted a 12-month extension on his current deal that would keep him in north London until 2021. Arsenal were also keen to keep him, so they came back with an offer of a new two-year contract to be signed this summer. But there's a catch. Due to Koscielny's age and injury record, Arsenal's offer involved a lower basic salary than his current £120,000-per-week and included performance-related bonuses.

They also offered him the option to leave for free next summer and insisted his new contract could see him earn more if they qualified for the Champions League. Koscielny, however, was having none of it and saw the new contract as having to take a pay-cut, which he isn't prepared to do. Bordeaux are reportedly prepared to give Koscielny a three-year contract and it's understood that the Frenchman is set on returning to France. Arsenal don't want him to leave for free and are making him train with the Under-23s in the meantime, but truth be told it's hard to see a way back now.

=========

Charging Through the Midfield
By Tim Stillman -

People occasionally ask me whether these columns are more difficult to write in the summer, when Arsenal are not playing. My reply is always the same, ‘absolutely not.’ If anything, it is easier to write about Arsenal during pre-season. The fixture list is hectic and often two to three games can happen between articles. The season can be compressed and chaotic when it comes to formulating one’s thoughts.

The pace is so relentless that talking points whizz in and out of view and it can be difficult to pin them down and isolate them. George Orwell once said the biggest challenge in life is seeing what is balanced on the end of your nose and that is how the season can feel at times. In the summer, the pace slows and you’ve time to meditate on your thoughts and adjust your lenses.

If the football season is an endless tray of tequila slammers, then pre-season is a scotch and a cigar. In this space, on the margins of the season, your imagination can dance. Transfer rumours are so popular because they essentially serve as fan fiction. Transfers allow us to project to a brighter future, where the new man can cure all ills, shortly before the player ruins our reverie by playing actual games and demonstrating his real-life flaws.

Transfers are cool, but transfer rumours or any kind of transfer talk rarely interests me. That is not to judge anyone that is interested in transfer chatter, it just never floated my boat. I like the grass, the patterns of play, the tinkering, the stadium and everything around the match day. I like the game and so my imagination tends to wander towards the players I already know, that Arsenal already has.

Last week I wrote a piece looking at how Unai Emery can make marginal gains with what he already has. I cannot see a large squad overhaul this summer because I cannot see Arsenal selling the players they need to sell to generate a purse. Instead they will have to generate a purse from a sow’s ear, so to speak.

I wondered if pairing Torreira and Guendouzi in midfield might modernise the Gunners engine room. Alex Iwobi scored for Nigeria in the African Nations Cup, running from a central midfield position to do so. I don’t want to get carried away by the goal itself, which is a mere isolated moment. We have seen Iwobi score similar goals for Arsenal at sporadic intervals and there is no proof that he could score such a goal regularly. Unai Emery has not found a direct replacement for Aaron Ramsey in that five second clip.

It did get me wondering about repurposing the Nigerian as another type of central midfielder, however. If Emery wanted to move to more of a 4-3-3 shape, I began to ponder whether Iwobi had the qualities to form a midfield trio with Guendouzi and Torreira who, in my pre-season stoner state, I have also projected as ‘the answer’ to all of our troubles.

I have written many times in recent months that Arsenal needs an injection of athleticism into the spine of the team. It could also do with a ball carrier. Iwobi, Guendouzi and Torreira certainly gives Arsenal greater athleticism and I wonder if Iwobi could become the ball carrier the heart of the team has missed since Santi Cazorla, Jack Wilshere and Tomas Rosicky departed the club.

As a wide forward, Iwobi has lots of useful qualities, but he sorely lacks end-product. At the beginning of the 2016-17 season, he showed, to my mind, his best form in an Arsenal shirt, when he was the kind of creative water carrier to Alexis Sanchez and Theo Walcott, who took care of the end product.

Iwobi gave an interview at the AFCON, where he seemed to suggest that he felt more comfortable in the central compartment of the team. “Growing up I’ve been playing as an attacking midfielder, more central in the midfield. I wouldn’t say if I’m most comfortable there but that’s where I grew up playing. I’ve always seen myself as a midfielder but wherever I’m being told to play in the middle or somewhere, I will always give my best.”

Alex doesn’t quite have that bending far corner shot motion that wide forwards at the top end of the Premier League need. Nor does he have a propensity to cut in and shoot. Wide forwards either need to make runs in behind or else fashion their own shots and Iwobi doesn’t really do either. He is more facilitator than provocateur.

Iwobi’s ball reception is his most obvious midfield trait. He is excellent at receiving on the half-turn and spinning away from pressure- which are qualities the Arsenal midfield lacks. When Iwobi broke into the first team in 2016, Mikel Arteta spotted the same quality, “I played with him in the Under-21s recently and I was surprised he could play in central midfield as well.

“Forwards don’t normally have that 360 degree vision you need in midfield. Alex is capable of reading the game well, understanding his positioning and his body shape when he plays.” Iwobi’s use of his body helps him to link play because he has a knack of receiving the ball at the right angle to move it on quickly. This is an attribute typically far more prized by coaches than it is supporters.

Under Emery, that quality has been used in the half-spaces to find an overlapping full-back. I do wonder if it would be useful to help link the midfield to the attack. I want to be careful about trying to ‘fix’ Iwobi through a feat of imagination. He has always been an inconsistent player and there is a good to fair chance that inconsistency is just baked into his game, whichever role he plays.

Arsenal have seemingly made a new wide forward a priority this summer, with Reiss Nelson also having returned from a loan spell and Gabriel Martinelli, probably slightly earlier in his career trajectory, procured. Assuming Arsenal are not able to sprinkle lots of transfer gold dust on their midfield this summer, I think Iwobi in a midfield three is worth a try.

I don’t want to be accused of suggesting that rebooting Alex as a central midfield player is the ideal scenario or anything like it. It will not propel the Gunners to the next level, but there is a sense of getting real and understanding that the club is not in a position to do anything transformative at this time. Arsenal cannot buy super quality, but they can coach potential and they can seek to become more than the sum of their parts through better balance.

In a sense, it is a shame that Iwobi is away on international duty, which denies Emery the opportunity to experiment with this thought in pre-season (assuming he were so inclined). I fully understand why Iwobi frustrates a lot of Arsenal fans, largely because his end-product is not where it should be for a wide forward at a top 6 club.

However, I do think he has qualities that go unappreciated. As Michael Cox outlined in this piece, we struggle to appreciate Iwobi because we struggle to define him or compare him to anyone else we are literate with. “Iwobi seems more of a specialist; albeit a specialist for a position that doesn’t actually have a name.” Playing Iwobi as a slightly advanced number 8 might work, it might not, but Arsenal are very much in ‘worth a try’ territory.

-----------

Are Arsenal doing the USA tour for the fans or for the money?
Admin

How Much Will Arsenal Make From Our Tour? By Dan Smith
Many Arsenal Fans have said they would only start to worry if there were no new faces by the time we flew out for our tour of the US, well we fly out tomorrow….

It doesn’t matter when the move for Saliba is confirmed because that doesn’t help us in the present. In fact, the two signings made this summer have been very much with the future in mind. Meanwhile the only player sold has been Ospina, meaning, throwing in those who were allowed to run down their contracts, this is a weaker squad boarding the flight then the one we last saw in Baku. It seems the Zaha saga has worked as a smoke screen, gooners buying new shirts because we are showing ambition? Conveniently for the gunners our Number 1 target is away at Cup of Nations (apparently the recruitment team can’t fly out to Africa).

In the comments I have read that it’s obvious our budget is bigger than 45 million when you add up total of bids made. Yet let me put it the other way. If deep down we are willing to get the Zaha deal done, why offer half of his valuation? Why are we buying a defender based on our transfer kitty in 12 months’ time? And my favourite. If the true figure is 70-100m to spend, why for a month now have we been haggling over every last pound for Tierney, when Celtic have asked for a reasonable price?

Of course, there is a difference between being skint and just choosing to keep the cash in the bank. Trust me if our owner wanted to, he could easily find extra funds. Yet the American isn’t bothered about his name being chanted at Boreham Wood, he’s excited about his English ‘franchise’ visiting his country. You see, a quick study of the International Cup makes it clear that the idea we are financially hard up is wrong. Depending where the continent you are based in for the next 2 weeks, appearance money is 15-20 million, just for showing up (remember that when managers moan about players being overplayed). That increases based on match day revenue (flights and accommodation are paid for as well) Not to mention the thousands of shirts they will sell at each game….

Via Arsenal.Com, this is how much tickets cost …
Colorado Rapids – 49 – 167 dollars (Remember the Rapids are also owned by Kroenke)
Bayern Munich – 49 – 800 dollars
Fiorentina 35- 375 dollars
Real Madrid 60 – 366 dollars

This doesn’t include tickets being resold on the site as well as VIP /hospitality packages heading into the thousands. Now let’s remember this is meant to be pre-season friendlies yet we are charging the same as a Premiership Category A game at Emirates.

Now consider….
The Dicks Sporting Good Park holds just over 18,000.
Dignity Health Sports Park just over 27,000.
Bank Of America Stadium just over 75,000.
FedEx Field just over 82,000.

Now add that 12 of the biggest teams are playing in the US, Asia, Australia and Europe with all 18 games televised, everyone is making a massive payday. This is a week after the launch of a sponsorship deal which will make 60 million every year for the next 5, bettered only by Man United and Barcelona. But we have only 45 to spend? So, when our PR machine hype this is good for our global Gooners, it’s false. We are simply a brand. That’s why it doesn’t matter if we are in Europa League or our League position, we are a brand which makes Kroenke money regardless…

-----------

Koscielny: There’s a new leadership at Arsenal, and it’s grabbing the future by the throat
By Tony Attwood

I really had to laugh when I read the sentence “There is no leadership at the club whatsoever and that’s why issues like the above are happening.” “The above” of course was in relation to Koscielny saying he didn’t want to go on tour.  The blog itself was one of the hundreds and hundreds that are endlessly negative about Arsenal.  They were negative about Mr Wenger, and now they are negative about the club under Mr Emery.  The piece concludes, “This season is careening off the road before a plane has left the tarmac, and that’s before Xhaka is given the captains armband.

“Arsenal is chaos, it’s staggering how badly we’re being run at the minute.” But what I find particularly droll and interesting about that blog, and all the others that follow this same negative-negative pathway day after day, week after week, is that they didn’t actually look at the situation and ask why was this handled in a different way. And in matters like this, “why” is always the key issue.

I can’t think of a time in the recent past when Arsenal would have reacted like this to an event of this nature.   It would have been handled internally and quietly, leaving the bloggettas to scribble away and deposit their bile, while remaining very Arsenal like above it all.  Reading the press of the 1930s I think Chapman would have dealt with it in a flash.  In the 1920s Sir Henry Norris would have had it sorted straight away.  But since?

Mr Wenger could have dealt with it, but it was taken out of his hands.  The directors directed the media team to do as little as possible. So why, on this occasion have Arsenal come out so very publicly with the story.  Why was it that, effectively, it was Arsenal.com that gave the story to the media.

The most obvious answer is Edu.  Now, unfortunately for me the timing of today’s little eruption and Arsenal’s response wasn’t perfect, as the research on Edu and his approach was only just being finished as this Koscielny news broke.   But this sort of situation would fall very much under Edu’s role, and looking at what he did at Corinthians and for Brazil, this has Edu written all over it.

Of course I wasn’t there to watch Edu take control of the situation, instruct the press officer, and the guy who runs Arsenal.com but I am pretty sure that Edu has come in to change the whole approach of Arsenal in relation to both the media and the players.  When we put up the Edu piece I think you’ll see what I mean. If we think way back to the days in which the directors would cower in their room in Highbury while the media was baying on the steps of the main entrance demanding a statement (you might remember that time in Mr Wenger’s first season when the media went berserk on a horrific story about Mr Wenger and tried to taunt him on the steps, and the directors begged him not to face them) we can see this is a totally new approach – just as Mr Wenger had his own approach.

The difference is this time the approach is coming from the Director of Football rather than the manager.  Mr Emery might have said of Koscielny “we leave him behind” but in the past the press office would have been left to make up a tale about injury problems. We’ve never had someone like Edu before at the club in a directorial role.   And I think this is going to be fun.

Oh yes, and ignore all the media coverage about Arsenal not knowing what they are doing and behaving like chickens minus a head.   That is the hallmark of blogs repeating the same old story hour after hour.   This has every hallmark of a club that knows exactly what it wants to do and how it wants to do it. The article “Edu comes to Arsenal: why this is the moment everything happens” will be published around 0710 BST tomorrow

--

Contrast this with the way Chelsea handled Cech’s desire to join Arsenal. Although the move wasn’t ideal Chelsea showed class in the way they handled it all and appreciated his long service. Hence Cech was able to return to Chelsea and received with open arms at the end of his playing career. This should have been handled differently. Pay cut for the player is surely a slap in the face of the captain.

It is already clear the Koscielny situation has been mishandled by making such a statement. However there is no evidence, that Edu would have been involved. As the previous regime let Sanchez, Ramsey leave for nothing, why not let Koscielny also leave, although he has one year left on his contract. Welbeck was also allowed to leave last season.

Whilst like many on this site, I had tremendous admiration for Wenger. However there is no doubt between Gazides and Wenger the contract situation has been poorly managed. Even agreeing to Ozils, excessive salary demands.

In the new structure having two very senior executives, running the club the commercial side and players side, can lead to confusion and misunderstandings. Also Emery whilst the coach, does not have the same relationship with the owner. Wenger had far more respect, responsibility and power, which he earned over his twenty two years of service with the club.

The problem Arsenal now face is absentee owner, who wishes to minimise his investment, as most of Kroenke’s money is committed to the LA Rams stadium project, with an Investment company, just under $5 billion dollars.
The new management team, I personally believe do not have the same autonomy as Gazides and Wenger. Emery has a very difficult job, he has little or no say with regard to player Investment. Something which people may consider not relevant, his lack of English would hinder any interaction with Kroenke, when he meets him.

Whilst a Gooner since my first home game at Highbury in 1964, I am always optimistic. The current ownership and management structure, will make things much more difficult, for us to achieve the success we all wish for. COYG

----------

UNDER MAHATHIR, SPECIAL BRANCH & THE ‘DEEP STATE’ EVEN POWERFUL THAN BEFORE:
‘MANY MORE CLANDESTINE OPERATIONS TO HANDLE POWER TRANSITION ARE CERTAIN TO FOLLOW’ – REPORT

Malaysia’s Special Branch, a secretive division within the Royal Malaysian Police force (PDRM), has functioned as one of the country’s most covert units, or did until earlier this year, when the human rights NGO Suhakam accused it of being behind the disappearance of two social activists, Amri Che Mat and Pastor Raymond Koh.

The new Director General of Police, Absul Hamid Bador, denies the accusation, claiming that the unit has no operational capabilities. Nonetheless, the accusation shines a light on a shadowy organization that had its beginnings as an intelligence unit established by the British after WWII to primarily gather human intelligence (HUMINT) on the communist insurgency throughout North Borneo and Malaya as well as spying to counter the growing Communist influence as well as watching the Singaporean trade union and political movements. A third important task was to undertake surveillance and infiltrate the Chinese triads operating in the towns throughout Malaya.

As a colonial creation, it has never been legitimized by act of Parliament, It has, no public charter, and reports neither to the National Parliament or the executive. It became an arm of the police organizational structure with a director who reported to the Director General of Police (IGP). The only indication of its mission and objectives are on the police website, stating that it is“responsible for collecting and processing security intelligence to preserve the law and order of the public and maintain Malaysia’s peace and security.”

Today it conducts surveillance, intelligence gathering, and infiltrations that span all aspects of Malaysian society including religious organizations, mosques, churches, and temples, Chinese schools, universities, the state and federal civil services, government agencies, local government, trade unions, NGOs, media organizations, social activists, and even Royal households.

Special Branch attends many public gatherings, press conferences, and events where there are people of interest. Both opposition and government members of parliament are kept under surveillance. It has expanded from just utilising HUMINT gathering and now utilizes all the tools of modern electronic intelligence gathering, withsophisticated cyber abilities.

A former officer who wants to remain anonymous told Asia Sentinel writer that during the first Mahathir era in the 1990s, his responsibility was to film and photograph cabinet ministers and state chief ministers in compromising situations which could be utilized as a lever against them if necessary at some future point. The ex-officer went on to say that a number of guest rooms in hotels around Malaysia have been set up for this specific purpose, making it intriguing that recently Mohamed Azmin Ali, the former Selangor chief minister and current minister of economics, was allegedly surreptitiously filmed in a homosexual liaison by unknown actors.

Politicians from Sabah and Sarawak are of particular interest due to the sensitivities about succession from the Federation. Just recently Parti Warisan Sabah, a member of the Pakatan Harapan government, announced publicly that they would ban SB officers from their press conferences. However, Abdul Hamid Bador, formerly the agency’s director, said it is the SB’s prerogative to send in their people to press conferences despite the ban.

The unit has even been involved in royal household politics, choosing sides in a power struggle within the Kelantan Royal household in 2010 by reportedlyambushing the then-Sultan Ismail Petra on the road to prevent him from travelling to Singapore for medical treatment and restrained him in hospital.

The SB’s Political Division monitors the political climate and regularly undertakes its own polling. Its officers actually knew that the Najib government would most likely lose GE14 when that was by no means clear to political analysts. However, we will never know what role it played during the election and transition.

However, the warning that Abdul Hamid Bador gave to Najib when he was dismissed as deputy director and mothballed within the Prime Ministers Department before the election may in retrospect be very telling.   The Political Division conducts propaganda and misinformation campaigns.

During the first trial of opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim for sodomy, the then director Mohamed Said Awang told the court the Special Branch had conducted ‘turning over operations’ to change the political views of targets. Wikileaks revealed correspondence between Australian and Singapore security agencies in which the Singapore agency told the Australian agency that the allegations against Anwar were true and result of a ‘honey trap’ set up.

Activities are not restricted to Malaysia. Officers are found in countries where Malaysians are studying including Australia, New Zealand, UK, Germany, Ireland, the United States, and Egypt. SB officers monitor the activities of Malaysian students and also use the opportunity to groom and recruit potential informants, where those students on scholarships will be future civil servants. Officers usually work independently of Malaysian consular missions, although some officers may either work within the consulates or are the consul in charge of student affairs.

The SB also operates in Thailand, especially the southern provinces. Another SB officer who also wished to remain anonymous told me the main focus in Thailand was to monitor Malaysian criminals and Islamic sects with Malaysian connections. The officer also said that if the SB wanted to capture their targets,  they would abduct and take them straight across the border. These extrajudicial renditions are usually carried out on those wanted in Malaysia and using Thailand as a safe haven.

The Malaysian and Singaporean special branches have very close relationships. A Malaysian officer once told me the Singapore SB are “their brothers,” which allows Malaysian SB influence to flow down into Singapore. Time Magazine reported that the Malaysian special branch knew Sarawak Report editor Clare Rewcastle Brown had planned to visit Singapore and had arranged for their Singapore counterparts to arrest her upon arrival.

The SB uses the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012 (SOSMA) which replaced the infamous Internal Security Act (ISA) as a platform to arrest and interrogate people of interest. Although hundreds of suspected terrorists have been arrested and held under SOSMA, the Act has also been used to arrest and hold civil rights activists, including Maria Chin Abdullah of Bersih.

This is purely political. Other detainees under SOSMA/ISA have included politicians Anwar Ibrahim, Lim Kit Siang, Jeffrey Kittingan, Karpal Singh, Michael Jayakumar, Lim Guan Eng, Mohamed Sabu, and Teresa Koh.

According to ex-detainees the special branch methods to interrogate suspects include stripping them, forcing them to stand for long periods of time in the cold, intimidation, threats against families, isolation in spotlights or darkness, sleep, food and water deprivation, ‘good cop, bad cop’ routines, and truth drugs. The aim is to make the detainees completely dependent on their captures to break them down mentally.

Detainees have no right to lawyers, no right to judicial review, or other legal recourse. The SB itself has no known system of checks and balances, which leads to abuse. The 2005 Dzaiddin Royal Commission into Police Reform found that many SB actions fall outside the law. Interrogations also contravene the 1984 UN Convention Against Torture, a treaty which the Malaysian government has refused to ratify.

Mahathir as Prime Minister has always been close to the Special Branch. In 1987 he cracked down on his critics in what was known as Operation Lalang, rounding up more than 100 politicians, social activists, academics, students, artists, and people seen as being critical of the government. The prime minister’s hold over the unit is just as strong today with his staunch ally Abdul Hamid Bador, the newly appointed IGP. Mahathir in support of the SB was dismissive of Suhakam’s findings about the abduction of Pastor Koh.

This is in stark contrast to former Prime Minister Najib Razak’s experience. Suspicious of the SB is that it built its own security apparatus from the Malaysian External Intelligence Organization, known as ME10. Building ME10 up to more than 1,000 operatives, Najib bypassed the SB. The charges against the former Director-General of ME10 Hasanah Abdul Hamid for misappropriation of election funds can be seen as payback for the letter she wrote to the CIA before Najib lost the federal election last year.

Today, the SB has a budget of more than RM500 million, which doesn’t include the slush funds it has to run secret and sensitive operations. Over the last decade SB staff have more than doubled to over 10,000. This doesn’t include 10-15,000 informers that the SB is handling across the country. This represents about one SB operative to 1,500 citizens, a ratio not unlike the old East German secret police, the Stasi.

Rather than use sodomy to destroy an adversary of Mahathir, ironically the SB is now using misinformation dissemination, aka ‘deepfake’ to protect a Mahathir ally. Many more clandestine operations to handle the transition are certain to follow.

The SB is now in the hands of a person who has used it before to blackmail, silence, incarcerate, and detain his critics. If Malaysia aspires to be a true democracy, then the SB is totally out of control. Who is a subversive or terrorist is left for the SB to decide. Extra-judicial abductions are unconstitutional. Many detainees have been prisoners of conscience or prisoners for their religious beliefs.

Under Mahathir the SB is even more powerful now than it was under the last BN Government.
– https://www.asiasentinel.com/

-----------

BOMBSHELL – NAJIB & ZAHID MAY BE PLOTTING HOW TO STRIP & PLUNDER UMNO ASSETS,
CLAIMS REPORT: IF SO, THEN MALAYS –
ALREADY IMPOVERISHED BY 1MDB – SET TO LOSE EVEN MORE OF THEIR WEALTH

When Mahathir Mohamad openly invited all Malay parties, including the UMNO, to join his party PPBM (Bersatu) under the pretext of Malay unity, it raises eyebrows. To the people who had shed sweat, tears and probably even blood bringing down the corrupt and toxic UMNO last May General Election, the prime minister’s invitation was seen as a betrayal of the highest degree.

For a while, Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, the UMNO president who suddenly made an unexpected but shameless comeback from his so-called garden leaves, thought that Mahathir’s invitation was like a gift from the God. Could it mean his prayers have been answered and his record 87 corruption charges would be dropped and he gets to walk away scot free if he joins the old man’s party?

Zahid probably had slapped his face a couple of times in disbelief over the offer. Even his colleague, Khairy Jamaluddin, son-in-law of former PM Abdullah Badawi, has advised his party UMNO to give a serious thought to the invitation to join hands with rival Bersatu. Khairy too believed the offer was too good to be ignored. Clearly, life as an opposition is too tough after ruling the country for 61 years.

The next warlord who was equally excited to the extent he almost orgasm at the proposal was Hishammuddin Hussein, the cousin of former PM Najib Razak. He too said UMNO’s top leaders should not dismiss any chance of a new political cooperation if it can unite their race, even though his reason to join Mahathir is to gain immunity from prosecution over past corruptions.

But Zahid Hamidi figured he had to play hard to get. After all, his party has 37 MPs, more than Mahathir’s party which possesses only 26 MPs. It probably crossed Zahid’s mind that he might not be accepted. But if Mahathir wants to acquire UMNO, it has to be sold as a complete package. Hence, the UMNO president rejected the prime minister’s invitation.

The 93-year-old Mahathir later made an incredible clarification. His invitation apparently was for “members” of other Malay-based parties – not the Malay parties. So, Zahid’s illusion, and Najib’s for that matter, that the ruling Pakatan Harapan (PH) coalition would be enlarged to accept UMNO as a new component for the sake of Malay unity was crushed.

To be fair, everyone had the perception that Mahathir’s offer was for Malay parties, including UMNO Malay nationalist party and PAS Islamist party, to join the ruling Pakatan Harapan coalition. Perhaps the premier was a bit senile. But it’s also absolutely possible that the old fox was testing the water, having fun watching crook like Zahid Hamidi squirming and begging to be invited.

Essentially, Mahathir’s clarification that UMNO as a party cannot join Pakatan closes the door for big time crooks like Najib Razak, Zahid Hamidi, Tengku Adnan and Abdul Azeez Abdul Rahim, just to name a few, from any immunity deal. The line has been drawn. Those crooks can never be forgiven as long as Mahathir sits on the throne.

Two days ago (July 9), out of the blue, ex-PM Najib was appointed chairman of Barisan Nasional (BN) advisory board, whatever that means. His appointment was unanimously agreed upon by the BN Supreme Council. The funny thing about welcoming the crook back to BN is that there was previously no advisory board. The post was created specially for Najib.

Exactly what can Najib advise the BN now when the same coalition was defeated under the leadership of the same man in the May 9th General Election last year? If he is such a gem, he should not have had stepped down as UMNO president after BN’s defeat in the 14th General Election. It’s an educated guess that both Najib and Zahid had planned to make the comeback together.

Khairy, probably the smartest man left in UMNO, said he was not happy with the return of his former boss Najib. He had earlier expressed his displeasure at the comeback of Zahid too. Hishammuddin has opted to play safe, offering neither support nor objection to the return of his cousin. Surprisingly, the biggest criticcame from Nazri Aziz, once the biggest supporter of Najib in his 1MDB scandal.

Nazri said – “Who did we lose under (in the last general election)? What kind of advice can he give us? I think it is regressive.” Does the appointment of Najib as UMNO adviser prove that neither the leaderships of acting president Mohamed Hasan nor president Zahid Hamidi were effective, despite the trumpeted propaganda that UMNO and PAS alliance will crush the current government?

On the surface, Najib’s comeback looks positive. Like a white knight in shining armour, he could inject his fund – “Malu Apa Bossku (Why The Shame, Boss) moniker” – into UMNO and rejuvenate the almost bankrupt corrupt party. But if even his cheerleader Nazri could smell a rat with the return of his former boss, the crooked Najib is definitely up to something not good.

The last time Najib modified the constitution of SRC International Sdn. Bhd., a subsidiary of 1MDB, at an extraordinary general meeting (EGM) to make him the “adviser emeritus” of the company, he controlled the company and ordered retirement fund KWAP to loan RM4 billion to SRC, a company known as “Najib’s company”.

Yes, Najib’s express appointment as the adviser to UMNO, a non-existent position previously, has very little to do with strengthening the party. It was actually a humiliation to UMNO Council of Advisors chairman Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah, who was surprised at Najib’s appointment. Effectively, Najib’s new role as an adviser will make Razaleigh’s role redundant and obsolete.

It’s both entertaining and amusing that the foolish Razaleigh has thrown his support behind Najib, not realising that the crook has come back to plunder the party’s coffers. Coincidentally, all the crooks – Najib Razak, Zahid Hamidi and Tengku Adnan – are part of the roundtable plotting how to strip UMNO assetsas the party faces the prospect of de-registration.

It was reported that UMNO once has assets totalling RM100 billion under proxies, trustees and nominees. UMNO president and its treasurer, who happens to be Zahid Hamidi and Tengku Adnan respectively, are a handful of leaders currently possessed the information of all the asset holders. However, the dumb Zahid probably was clueless as to how to recover the assets.

That explains the real reason as to why Zahid suddenly made a comeback from his garden leave, and the sudden appointment of Najib as BN adviser. Obviously, Najib cannot be made the UMNO Council of Advisors chairman since Razaleigh occupies the position. If there’s one man who can plunder and stealUMNO’s remaining assets, that man has to be Najib Razak.

Mr Treasurer Tengku Adnan was tasked with tracking down UMNO’s cash and property since last October. By now, he should have a list of assets belonging to the party. Sure, over the time, not all of the RM100 billion can be recovered. But there should be billions worth of assets left. Recently, UMNO sold its 123 million shares in Media Prima Bhd for RM73.81 million.

UMNO secretary-general Annuar Musa has announced that the party will sell more assets to boost its finance and cash-flow. UMNO members should start tracking where that money is being parked. Facing the likelihood of being declared illegal, Najib’s wide experience in money laundering is definitely useful in advising how to transfer cash out of UMNO to unknown entities.

To fight the present government, UMNO and BN need truckloads of money to mobilize its supporters. Selling assets for cash is one thing. Siphoning them for the rainy day is another thing. The very fact that Najib’s appointment was done with such secrecy, so much so that even Razaleigh was kept in the dark, speaks volumes that the crook’s mission isn’t just to blow his horn about “Bossku”. – Finance Twitter

---------

ROSMAH’S JEWELLERY ALL ‘GONE’? ONLY 4 OF 44 PIECES ARE WITH POLICE,
SAYS JEWELLER SUING DISGRACED EX-PM’S ‘SPENDING QUEEN’ WIFE

THE Lebanese jeweller who is suing Rosmah Mansor to retrieve 44 pieces of its jewellery, said only four of its pieces are among the 12,000 items police seized last year from the former prime minster’s wife, Malaysiakini reports. Lebanese jeweller Samer Halimah, who filed a RM60 million suit against Rosmah last June, identify, via photographs, only a diamond pear-shaped ring worth US$325,000, a diamond oval ring (US$125,000), a diamond oval bracelet (US$444,000) and a diamond emerald bracelet (US$220,500). “We are stating in the amended statement of claim that only four items are in police custody,” lawyer David Gurupatham told Malaysiakini.

David, who represents Halimeh’s firm Global Royalty Trading SAL, added that the amended statement of claim would be filed soon to mention the missing pieces amounting to US$13,672,500. Samer sued Rosmah for allegedly failing to pay for 44 pieces of jewellery, which she said are in the possession of ,police who seized the valuables after raiding premises linked to her and her husband, Najib Razak. On May 7, the Attorney-General’s Chambers filed a notice of forfeiture over hundreds of items, seized from Najib, Rosmah, their three children and 13 individuals, as well as companies. David said last month he would apply to intervene in the government’s forfeiture suit of the valuables seized from her home.

On pieces that are not seized or are not on the list, David said his client will continue with the civil action to recover the jewellery, or its equivalent cash value, from Rosmah. Samer, whose celebrity clients include Angelina Jolie and Oprah Winfrey, filed the suit at the Kuala Lumpur High Court on June 26 last year. Police seized more than 12,000 pieces of jewellery as part of their investigation into the 1Malaysia Development Bhd scandal weeks after May 9 elections last year, when Pakatan Harapan swept into power. Police also seized hundreds of handbags of assorted brands, cash in various currencies, watches and 27 vehicles from Najib, Rosmah, their three children and 13 individuals and companies. The cumulative value of the items seized was estimated by police to be between RM900 million and RM1.1 billion, making it the biggest seizure in the nation’s history. – https://www.themalaysianinsight.com

------------

KEVIN MORAIS’ GHOST RETURNS TO HAUNT NAJIB: IN MYSTERY, EYE-CATCHING RM100 MILLION
LAWSUIT, APANDI’S EX-AIDE SUES CLARE BROWN – BUT WHY NOW?

V Mabel Muthayyah, a former secretariat head in the Attorney-General’s Chambers, has filed an RM100 million lawsuit against Sarawak Report editor Clare Rewcastle-Brown for defamation over a 2015 article. Speaking to Malaysiakini today, Mabel’s lawyer David Gurupatham said Rewcastle-Brown is being sued for “a very serious allegation levelled against a member of the administration of justice.” “The claim is RM100 million inclusive of aggravated and exemplary damages against Rewcastle-Brown, together with an injunction from further causing defamation, as well as a mandatory order for her to remove such posting from the website,” he said.

The Sarawak Report article, titled “How AG’s Office connived to prevent a second postmortem on Kevin Morais – Exclusive exposé,” alleged that Mabel sent texts to the family members of late deputy public prosecutor Anthony Kevin Morais, urging them to expedite the cremation of his remains to prevent a second postmortem. The article also claimed that when the cajoling proved unsuccessful, bribes were offered and threats were made. Gurupatham said the suit was filed after a letter was sent to Rewcastle-Brown demanding a public apology, which she refused to accept.

“We sent the letter to her solicitor in Kuala Lumpur, but they returned the document to us, saying that they have not received instruction to ‘accept service’, which is fine. “So we sent the letter to her email and another copy by courier to her London address. “However, we received confirmation from the courier company a few days ago that ‘the recipient refused delivery’,” he said.

The delay

When asked what took his client almost four years to initiate legal action, Gurupatham said Mabel filed a police report in December 2015, but declined to pursue the matter further due to the ongoing investigation into Morais’ murder. “Being a person in the administration of justice, she didn’t want to interrupt and interfere with the investigation although she was very disappointed with the allegations. “She wrote to the chief registrar in August last year requesting assistance to have the defamatory article removed,” the lawyer said.

“The article kept resurfacing, and she found that it was recirculated again on Facebook in May this year. “She had then met the chief registrar and informed that she would take legal action to which the latter had no objection. “The whole world now looks at her as untrustworthy because of the allegations.” Currently, Mabel is a judge at the Sessions Court in Petaling Jaya. Gurupatham said that Rewcastle-Brown had fabricated a story out of purported screenshots of WhatsApp messages between Mabel and Morais’ brothers.

“The messages were not in chronological order, and she created a story out of the messages.” The lawyer also claimed that Rewcastle-Brown never contacted Mabel to ascertain the allegations. “Our client respects investigative journalism. However, it must be done in a responsible way. “They (Sarawak Report) knew who and where she was. They could have asked her about the allegations, but they never did. “That is irresponsible. They also did not verify the allegations as well as the WhatsApp messages with our client,” he said.

Morais’ remains were found in a steel drum after he was kidnapped from his car on the way to work in September 2015. A former army doctor and five accomplices have been charged with his murder. Malaysiakini has contacted Rewcastle-Brown for her response. Slapped with RM100m defamation suit but Rewcastle-Brown unaware Clare Rewcastle-Brown (above), the editor of whistleblower website The Sarawak Report, is unaware of an RM100 million defamation lawsuit filed against her by V Mabel Muthayyah, a former secretariat head in the Attorney-General’s Chambers.

Rewcastle-Brown told Malaysiakini she had only received a letter of demand, emailed a few days ago, demanding RM100 million for lost earnings. This was after Mabel allegedly lost her role working for the public prosecutor following the publication of an article in 2015. Rewcastle-Brown said the article had passed the statutory limitation for libel complaints in the UK. It was published in December 2015 in the UK, and not published in Malaysia because The Sarawak Report was banned and blocked by the BN administration. “I have certainly received no formal writ from either jurisdiction that would require a response,” she said.

Earlier today, Mabel’s lawyer David Gurupatham told Malaysiakini that Rewcastle-Brown is being sued for “a very serious allegation levelled against a member of the administration of justice.” “The claim is RM100 million inclusive of aggravated and exemplary damages against Rewcastle-Brown, together with an injunction from further causing defamation, as well as a mandatory order for her to remove such posting from the website,” he said.

The Sarawak Report article, titled “How AG’s Office connived to prevent a second postmortem on Kevin Morais – Exclusive exposé,” alleged that Mabel sent texts to the family members of late deputy public prosecutor Anthony Kevin Morais, urging them to expedite the cremation of his remains to prevent a second postmortem. The remains of Morais were found in a steel drum after he was kidnapped from his car on the way to work in September 2015. A former army doctor and five others have been charged with his murder. – M’kini

-------

HOLLYWOOD STUNNED AT MAGNITUDE OF NAJIB, RIZA AZIZ & JHO LOW ‘SCAM OF THE CENTURY’ –
THE THEFT OF MORE THAN US$4.5 BILLION

Accepting his 2014 Golden Globe Award for acting in “The Wolf of Wall Street,” Leonardo DiCaprio thanked “Joey, Riz and Jho,” three little-known producers and financiers, “for taking a risk on this movie.” The film is based on the memoir of a stockbroker who defrauded investors out of millions of dollars in the 1980s. The three men — Joey McFarland, Riza Aziz and Jho Low — have since been accused in connection with an even bigger fraud: the theft of more than $4.5 billion from a Malaysian government investment fund known as 1MDB. The newest charges in the case came against Riza, who was arrested in Malaysia last week and pleaded not guilty to laundering nearly a quarter of a billion dollars, in part to finance the movie. The globe-spanning investigation also has implicated a former Malaysian prime minister, employees of a prestigious Wall Street investment bank, a member of the Fugees rap group and a top Republican fundraiser.

Here’s the latest:

What is 1MDB?

Short for 1Malaysia Development Berhad (which means limited), the fund was set up in 2009 by then-Prime Minister Najib Razak to invest government revenues in real estate, Middle East oil and other sectors. Questions about the fund arose in early 2015 when it failed to meet payments on $11 billion in debt. The Wall Street Journal then published documents showing that about $700 million from 1MDB-linked entities had ended up in Najib’s personal bank accounts just before elections in 2013. Investigations on three continents soon uncovered evidence that Malaysian government funds had been siphoned into bank accounts in the U.S., Switzerland and Singapore and spent on lavish purchases, including property in the Hollywood Hills and Manhattan, French Impressionist artwork, a private jet and a $260-million yacht.

What’s the Hollywood connection?

Investigators say Riza, who is Najib’s stepson, used money from 1MDB to bankroll a production company, Red Granite Pictures. With 12 employees and no track record, the West Hollywood-based Red Granite made its name by picking up troubled films that other studios had soured on. With funding they said came from undisclosed investors in the Middle East and Asia, Riza and co-founder McFarland announced themselves with a 2011 launch party on the beach in Cannes that featured Kanye West, Jamie Foxx, DiCaprio and other A-list stars. Among the films they financed were “Dumb and Dumber To,” the sequel to the 1994 comedy blockbuster, and the $100-million “The Wolf of Wall Street,” directed by Martin Scorsese. It is believed DiCaprio, Scorsese and others involved in the film did not know the source of Red Granite’s money.

What is Red Granite’s response?

The company, which has not released a movie since 2017, has denied wrongdoing and paid $60 million to settle a civil lawsuit with the U.S. government without admitting guilt. The U.S. returned the money to Malaysia. In February, the Justice Department moved to seize tens of millions more in bank and escrow accounts traced to McFarland. The producer has not been charged and is said to be cooperating with investigators. Riza was the first person connected to Red Granite to face charges. His New York-based lawyer, Matthew Schwartz, said in a statement e-mailed to the Los Angeles Times that “when the actual evidence comes out, it will be clear that he has done nothing wrong.”

Who was behind the scheme?

U.S. and Malaysian authorities allege the mastermind was Low, a Malaysian financier who they said talked his way into Najib’s inner circle and roped in an astonishing network of celebrities, bankers and political operatives to help pillage 1MDB. Low hardly fit the part of a Hollywood player. But he allegedly used 1MDB money to throw star-studded Las Vegas parties and shower celebrities with expensive gifts. DiCaprio has returned a Picasso painting reportedly given to him by Low. Facing a long list of indictments in the U.S., Low is said to have fled to China and has issued repeated statements of innocence on a personal website, accusing the Justice Department of attempting “to reach a guilty verdict via the media.”

What about the former Malaysian leader?

Najib, who lost his 2018 reelection bid as pressure from the scandal mounted, is on bail awaiting trial in Malaysia on 25 counts of corruption and money laundering involving $550 million related to the fund, which he oversaw.
Former Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak is due to face trial this year in the 1MDB scandal.
Former Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak is due to face trial this year in the 1MDB scandal. (Vincent Thian / Associated Press)

The 65-year-old maintains his innocence, but he issued a public apology for “shortcomings and mistakes” — itself a stunning admission for a long-cocooned leader who had enjoyed near total power. A February 2020 trial date has been set for Rosmah Mansor — Najib’s wife and Riza’s mother — who is alleged to have used government funds to finance extravagant shopping trips abroad. Shortly after Najib’s election defeat, authorities raided several properties linked to the family and seized more than $260 million in luxury goods, including watches, jewelry, silks and hundreds of designer handbags — earning Rosmah comparisons to Imelda Marcos, the former Philippine first lady known for her shoe collection.

Who else is under investigation?

The case has also reached into U.S. politics. In May, Pras Michel, a founder of the Fugees, pleaded not guilty to conspiring with Low to divert nearly $1 million in 1MDB funds to Barack Obama’s 2012 reelection campaign without disclosing their source. And last year the Wall Street Journal reported that Republican fundraiser Elliott Broidy, a vice chairman of President Trump’s 2016 campaign, discussed a deal with Low that would have paid him tens of millions of dollars to lobby the Justice Department to drop its 1MDB investigation. Broidy has not been charged.

On Wall Street, two employees of the investment bank Goldman Sachs, which advised on three bond offerings that raised $6.5 billion for 1MDB, have been charged by federal prosecutors with paying bribes and kickbacks to Malaysian officials. Goldman officials — who have struggled to repair the bank’s reputation since the 2008 financial crisis — have painted the alleged misconduct as the actions of a few rogue employees. But the bank is bracing for more damaging allegations to emerge in a criminal trial in Malaysia, which is seeking more than $3 billion in fines.

How has the case affected Malaysia?

The Southeast Asian country of 30 million people has never experienced a scandal on this scale. The slow pace of the investigation has given fodder to Najib and other critics who accuse Malaysian authorities of seeking political retribution. Najib’s successor, Mahathir Mohamad, has pledged to crack down on a culture of corruption by strengthening the independence of investigating agencies.

Many Malaysians have closely followed each turn of the case against Najib, and the start of his trial next month will be a watershed. “No prime minister has been put on trial for doing things like this, given the political culture that has prevailed here, along with the notion of deference to authority and unquestioning loyalty to people in power,” said Chandra Muzaffar, a prominent political scientist. “What is happening in many ways is a turning point in our history.” – https://www.latimes.com

---------

Who are the Eternals? Marvel Phase 4's superbeings explained
Just don't mention the Inhumans.

Avengers : Endgame marks the end of the first chapter in the MCU, with a whole new world of characters to explore in its Phase 4 and beyond. Details of what that will mean are still thin on the ground, but we know that the Eternals are on their way to our screens.

But who are these little-known superbeings? Here's a summary of their complicated origins and how they fit into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.The Eternals' origin Eternals
Marvel Comics

The Eternals are a race that evolved from the same genetic ancestors as humans. They were created five million years ago, give or take, thanks to genetic experiments carried out by giant, armoured space gods called the Celestials (much as the Inhumans were created by the Kree, if you'll forgive us for reminding you).

Thanks to their effective immortality and amazing powers, they were the inspiration for many of mankind's ancient myths. They have deadly enemies too, of course, because this is comics. Those enemies are the Deviants, a race of genetically unstable and weird-looking monsters, in another unfortunate example of pretty = good/ugly = evil. Deviants vs Celestial

The Eternals were the brainchild of Jack Kirby, the artist/writer co-creator of Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, the X-Men, the Fantastic Four and many, many more classic characters.

This story was initially supposed to be separate from mainstream Marvel continuity, as Kirby had grown sick of the way comics storytelling had become increasingly interconnected, and wanted to tell a tale without having to worry what was going on in Spider-Man, Avengers and the rest. However, after his departure Marvel reversed that, initially bringing Thor and his fellow gods into the picture as they attempted to protect Earth from destruction by the Celestials.

The Eternals bear a strong similarity to the New Gods, another race of superpowered beings Kirby created for DC Comics. Frustrated by his work for Marvel's rival, he switched back to his old publisher without finishing the New Gods' epic story. There he created the Eternals, only to stop halfway through that story under similar circumstances.

(Incidentally, Warner Bros is developing a New Gods DC movie with director Ava DuVernay.)Judgment of the space gods Celestials vs Eternals

Kirby's Eternals is set in the present day, where mankind discovers that Superbeings Walk Among Us after the Eternals' war with the Deviants escalates again following the return of the Celestials to Earth.

The Celestials had come back to judge the Earth, with the promise that if we were found wanting their experiment would be branded a failure and we would all be killed! Thor and the gods allied with the Eternals to try to drive the Celestials away, but failed utterly. Thankfully, the Celestials decided that Earth was okay and left peacefully. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 Drax vs tentacle monster

As time went on, the Eternals were tied more closely into Marvel continuity. Notable Eternals include the warriors Thena and Ikaris, and Sersi, a sorceress-type who even became a member of the Avengers. The aliens who live on Saturn's moon, Titan, were also retconned to be part of the race of Eternals. More on those in just a moment.Eternals in the MCU Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet in Infinity War

Confusing and unfamiliar as they are, that doesn't mean that the Eternals don't have a toe-hold in the MCU already. They do, via one very notable character. When the Titans became the 'Eternals of Titan', that meant that their most infamous son, Thanos, became an Eternal as well. Thanos is a mutant Eternal who displays recessive Deviant characteristics, hence the purple skin and wrinkly chin – and the evil outlook too, we guess (although the latter might be explained by his mother trying to murder him when he was born because of his appearance…).

If the MCU version of Thanos is confirmed to be an Eternal, that would make the entire doomed population of Titan Eternals as well. Kurt Russell in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 trailer ego the living planet

Incidentally, the Celestials have already made an appearance in the MCU, too. We glimpsed one in Guardians of the Galaxy in their classic armour when The Collector explains the history of the Power Stone to Star-Lord and his allies. Not to mention the lawless mining 'planet' Knowhere, introduced as the decapitated head of a Celestial.

In Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, Star-Lord's long-lost father Ego also identified himself as a Celestial (a retcon from the comics, in which he was a mortal scientist who merged with his planet), connecting Peter Quill to the Eternals through his half-Celestial heritage. The Eternals movie was confirmed to be in the works by Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige while he was promoting Avengers: Infinity War. Reports claim that it will focus on the aforementioned Sersi, the sometime Avenger who specialises in illusion, transmutation and other magic-like powers and has nothing to do with Game of Thrones.

Casting began heating up on the project in early 2019. Angelina Jolie is on board, presumably as Sersi. The Big Sick's Kumail Nanjiani has also been reported to have entered talks to join her, although we don't know in which role yet.

Later on we found out that Train to Busan's Ma Dong-seok has joined the cast, although details about his role are being kept under wraps for the time being. Game of Thrones star Richard Madden has been tipped to join the film too and is set to play Ikaris. Chinese filmmaker Chloé Zhao has signed on as director. She's best known for the 2017 western The Rider. Writing duo Matthew and Ryan Firpo are working on the script.

Sersi Eternals

"[We want to introduce] characters that the majority of the world has never heard of, much like Guardians, much like Avengers before we made Avengers. And there are lots of them," said Feige. "Eternals are one group, but we like the idea of introducing an ensemble, doing an ensemble movie from the start, as opposed to building up as we did with the first Avengers. More like Guardians, not tonally, but in terms of introducing a new group of people.

"Jack Kirby did an immense, amazing epic with Eternals that spans tens of thousands of years, and that's also something we haven’t really done, which is why that among many other things post-Endgame, we find appealing." Disney has been very secretive about its post-Endgame plans, but the earliest The Eternals could be released is almost certainly 2020. Rumour has it that the film will begin shooting in summer 2019.

------------

MCU planned plots that never made it to screen – and why
The good, the bad, and the green.
By Gabriella Geisinger   

MCU plots/movies never made it to cinema, Thanos, Captain America, Hulk

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is sprawling to say the least – after 10 years and 23 movies, there was bound to be some material left on the cutting-room floor. Here are seven plots, movies and character details which never made it to cinema screens.

1. Thor Ragnarok's original plot

Thor's future was heading in a very different direction at the end of Avengers: Age of Ultron.
The original idea was butchered by cuts, director Joss Whedon told the Empire film podcast in 2015, and would have seen a third Thor movie in which he would hunt down the infinity stones all on his lonesome.
Avengers: Endgame – Thor

This idea was scrapped when Taika Waititi was brought on to direct the film, which was a lifesaver for the Norse god. Thor: Ragnarok holds 93% on Rotten Tomatoes.

2. The real villain of Iron Man 3

According to director Shane Black, Tony Stark's old love interest Maya Hansen was set to be the baddie. Instead, Rebecca Hall's character was drastically reduced. Why? Toy marketability. No, that's not a joke.
Rebecca Hall as Maya Hansen in Iron Man 3

In an interview with Uproxx, Black said: "There was an early draft of Iron Man 3 where we had an inkling of a problem. Which is that we had a female character who was the villain in the draft. We had finished the script and we were given a no-holds-barred memo saying that cannot stand and we’ve changed our minds because, after consulting, we’ve decided that toy won’t sell as well if it’s a female.

"So, we had to change the entire script because of toy making. Now, that’s not Feige. That’s Marvel corporate, but now you don’t have that problem anymore." Yup. Marvel has been making steps towards better representation but back in 2013, bosses apparently didn't think people would buy female action figures.

3. Captain America adjusting to modern life

In 2012's The Avengers movie, Steve Rogers jumps straight into hero mode after waking up decades in the future, the world drastically changed. Many scenes were filmed which showed Rogers adjusting to the new present day, but they were left on the cutting-room floor, denying us the opportunity to see Chris Evans flex some different acting muscles on screen.

4. The Incredible Hulk 2

After Ed Norton departed the role and Marvel brought in Mark Ruffalo, a sequel to the 2008 movie The Incredible Hulk was still on schedule. But a solo Hulk movie with Ruffalo never made it to cinemas. The reason has never been confirmed, but likely stems from the deal between Marvel and Universal Studios. In 1996, Marvel went bankrupt and sold off many of its properties – which is why Spider-Man belongs to Sony. Universal nabbed the Hulk, and even though Marvel regained the rights to the giant green superhero, Universal still retained the right of first refusal over the distribution of any solo Hulk films.

What is Hulk's future in the MCU?

So, if Marvel ever planned to make a standalone Hulk film, Universal gets first dibs on distributing the feature – and therefore rakes in plenty of its possible profits. (Or it could be the tepid fan reception to every Hulk solo movie to date. But we don't talk about that.)

5. Taskmaster

The villain now set to be the main antagonist of the Black Widow solo movie almost had his own outing. In 2008, a Taskmaster movie was being floated around by director Joe Carnahan but 11 years later nothing has come to light. The movie was shelved for much the same reason a solo Ruffalo-Hulk movie was never made: complicated rights issues between studios. Now that Taskmaster has reverted fully back to Marvel, however, his dastardly face will make an appearance going up against Black Widow.

6. Thanos' backstory

Avengers: Infinity War initially featured a 10-minute scene fleshing out its villain's troubling backstory. Joe Russo told ComicBook.com: "We even had a draft where you saw 10 minutes of his backstory. You saw him as a child, you saw him try to convince his planet that it was doomed and recommend that they randomly kill half the population to save the planet. He gets sent to a prison off-planet and eventually watches the planet destroy itself…. "It is a whole other film, but sometimes that’s the value in a story room, of writing that draft in the script because you go ‘alright, at least I have that in my brain now'... He’s a very tortured character who’s sociopathic, but ultimately it’s benevolent sociopathy.”

6 villains who could replace Thanos in MCU Phase 4

His benevolence is debatable at best, but maybe a glimpse into the tortured life that led Thanos down his genocidal path might have made audiences empathise with him. A little bit.

7. Valkyrie's sexuality

Marvel doesn't have the best track record when it comes to LGBTQ+ representation, despite efforts from some key players. Valkyrie star Tessa Thompson approached Thor: Ragnarok director Taika Waititi about making Valkyrie explicitly bisexual in the movie, as she is in the comics.

She even convinced him to shoot a scene in which there's a glimpse of a woman coming out of Valkyrie’s bedroom. The scene was eventually cut, but Thompson has vocally and enthusiastically confirmed Valkyrie's sexuality whether it's shown on screen or not.

    She’s bi. And yes, she cares very little about what men think of her. What a joy to play! https://t.co/d0LZKTHCfL
    — Tessa Thompson (@TessaThompson_x) October 21, 2017

"There were things that we talked about that we allowed to exist in the characterisation, but maybe not be explicit in the film," she told Rolling Stone. In fact, another romantic moment featuring Valkyrie was also cut. In Avengers: Endgame, as Thor leaves her in charge of New Asgard, there was an improvised moment in which she puts her hand on his shoulder, and he leans in for a kiss only to be shot down. Joe Russo described the dialogue to EW Morning Live. He said Valkyrie responded to the advance with 'What are you doing?' Then, Thor replied: 'Oh, I thought that touch…' "Valkyrie says, 'No, that was, like, a goodbye tap I was giving you'," Russo explained. "It was a really funny beat, but we cut it."

----------

How the Avengers: Endgame writers decided who would live and who would die
It wasn't all just to make you cry.

Note: this article contains spoilers from Avengers: Endgame.

The moment fans stopped sobbing and took a breath after the gut-wrenching events of Avengers: Infinity War, attention quickly turned to Endgame and the question of which fallen superheroes would be brought back from the dead following Thanos' fatal finger snap. Iron Man's death, as much as it sucked to see him leave, was to be expected – 22 films and 11 years later, and the man who kickstarted this whole thing was ready to utter his final "I am Iron Man" (*sobs uncontrollably*) and duck out of the MCU to make way for new kickass Lycra-wearers to take centre stage.
Avengers: Endgame, Iron Man, Robert Downey Jr.

But Black Widow? That was an unexpected punch to the gut. Although it was an essential plot point – there's no Soul Stone without a soul exchange – many were left questioning why Hawkeye wasn't sacrificed instead.

To answer these questions, among many other mysteries surrounding the casualties of Endgame, writing duo Stephen McFeely and Christopher Markus have now explained how they decided which characters would get the chop. It wasn't all just to make you cry into your popcorn. As you well know, the MCU is a rich tapestry of crossovers and character arcs spanning dozens, sometimes even hundreds of years. Creating such a complex web of ideas takes a lot of planning, so it makes sense that the pair didn't even start writing Infinity War until they knew what the finale of Endgame was.

"What we were trying to do was lead with what's best for the characters," McFeely told Variety. "We felt that that meant that some characters might come to an end because they make an ultimate sacrifice and that's the end of the journey for them."

Markus went on to explain that part of the reason people found Iron Man and Captain America's conclusions so emotionally satisfying (if a little tear-jerking) is that these characters had been on a path over the course of 22 movies and it was time for that path to reach an end.

"These people started out in a certain place that had problems that needed fixing and arched over to a point of completion," added Markus. "So, it really is the rightful and fitting end for them. I think if we kept Tony alive or if we killed Cap, it would have rung false."

In the film, Tony sadly passed away, sacrificing his own life to save the rest of the universe, while his ally/rival Steve Rogers passed the mantle of Captain America to his friend Sam Wilson, aka Falcon. It was a moving moment, one that opened up a lot of opportunities for Phase 4 of the MCU.

Heartbreaking though it was, Markus and McFeely highlighted the significance of the outcomes for both of the Marvel mainstays. For Rogers, it made total sense that his journey ends now. "He's well over 100... I think he's over 100 years old," said Markus. "He has fought World War II and Civil War and an Infinity War... And he has come to a place, I think, where he's realising to be a fully-rounded human, which is all of our goals, he needs to take a little time and be a little healthier."

Healthier, as in not the manically intense version of himself he encounters back in Avengers Tower. In this sense, explained McFeely, Stark and Cap were on crisscrossing arcs over the years – the former grew more selfless while the latter grew more self-involved (just take a look at the events of Civil War). "So, we had put up on the wall at one point, Tony becomes a complete person when he loses his life and Steve becomes a complete person when he gets one," added McFeely. "We drove toward that."

That all makes sense for the pair, but what about Black Widow and Hawkeye? Why tip the MCU's gender imbalance even more by tearing out one of the cinematic universe's only leading ladies? This choice caused a bit of upset, seeing as a) Black Widow has a solo film planned and b) she is the first female OG Avenger. In a separate interview with The New York Times, the screenwriters explained why it had to be her.

"Her journey, in our minds, had come to an end if she could get the Avengers back," said McFeely. "She comes from such an abusive, terrible, mind-control background, so when she gets to Vormir and she has a chance to get the family back, that's a thing she would trade for."

That's not to say it was an easy decision. One of the biggest worries they faced was whether there would be enough time for people to be sad – with the film already being full to the brim of the MCU's biggest characters, Natasha Romanoff's death needed to still feel significant to the viewers who were so invested in her story.

But, as outlined by Markus, the biggest question about it is what Thor raises on the dock when he asks: "We have the Infinity Stones. Why don't we just bring her back?" But that is the deal of the exchange: you bring her back, you lose the stone. And if you lose the stone, the results of Thanos' Snap remain the same, if not worse.

"What about Clint Barton?" we hear you ask. Well the writers reckon that, like Stark's story, Black Widow's had reached its end, adding that it only felt right to reunite Barton with his family. "It was melodramatic to have him die and not get his family back," added Markus. "And it is only right and proper that she's done."

Motives aside, if Marvel Studios wanted to avoid criticism over what many describe as a dismissive treatment of Romanoff, perhaps they could have handed her a little more screen time – an argument made even stronger when you consider Rocket (you know, an anthropomorphic space raccoon) was given six more minutes than Black Widow was. Ouch.

The other women of the MCU didn't have the best time in Endgame either. Gamora, in particular, is one of the more confusing ones. To refresh your memory, the adopted daughter of Thanos was sacrificed in order for the Titan to attain the Soul Stone in Infinity War.

The timey-wimey shenanigans of Endgame result in the 2014 version of Gamora making it to the present day, which is why, during the epic final battle, she 'reunites' with Star-Lord, only this version of Gamora has never met or fallen in love with him (much to Peter Quill's dismay). nThis means the future Gamora, the one the MCU has spent years building up, is gone and the old, conflicted Gamora takes her place. Her history with the Guardians has been wiped clean, essentially.

One half of Endgame's directing team Joe Russo recently tried his best to explain why certain actions in Infinity War couldn't be undone, particularly bringing back those who sacrificed themselves to the Soul Stone. "Even if you have returned it to its original location, you wouldn't be able to get the person back," said Joe. "In fact, it's not really returning the Stone, more like put it back properly. The tribute soul for the Soul Stone will forever be sealed in that place, therefore Black Widow is gone forever."

As is the Gamora we (and Quill) had grown to know and love over the years. Which is why so many fans are left wondering what's going to happen to the old Gamora now that we know Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is happening. Guess that's down to James Gunn, who is assigned as director. As for the rest of the MCU, the studio is gearing up to enter Phase 4, with Spider-Man: Far From Home the next cinematic chapter in this ever-growing book. So while it may be the endgame for some of our most beloved heroes, for newbies like Peter Parker and the gang, this is only the beginning.

-----------

Koscielny is in the wrong, and Arsenal have a real mess on their hands
By arseblog -

There’s only one place to start this morning and that’s the Laurent Koscielny situation. Yesterday, the club released a statement revealing that the captain had refused to go on the US tour. It read:

    Laurent Koscielny has refused to travel to the US for our pre-season tour. We are very disappointed by Laurent’s actions, which are against our clear instructions. We hope to resolve this matter and will not be providing any further comment at this time.

The first thing to say is that there is simply no condoning that behaviour from any player, and certainly not the captain who has a greater responsibility because of his role. Whether you see your future at Arsenal or not, as long as you’re a player being very well paid, you have to fulfill your duties and Koscielny has not done that. It’s unprofessional and it’s wrong, no two ways about it.

However, I do think we need to consider why it has come to this. Why has somebody who has given us nine years of service, through thick and thin, and put his body on the line for us, decided that this course of action is the way to go? He’s not an agitator, he’s not somebody who causes a fuss, and he will be acutely aware of his role as captain of the club and the responsibilities that come with that honour. So why has he done what he’s done?

On today’s Arsecast, I chat with David Ornstein a bit about this, and there are some factors in play. First and foremost is Koscielny’s desire to leave and go back to France. Last year he was planning his departure to coincide with that of Arsene Wenger, but after picking up that Achilles injury in Madrid that became impossible. Anyone who watched the video of his rehab and recuperation from that injury will understand how hard he worked to come back, and after a few iffy games he found his form again and was our best central defender last season.

That’s another factor: concerns about his playing schedule. His tendonitis is still an issue, and there were times when he was pressed to play when he felt he shouldn’t. For example, after Shkodran Mustafi’s disasterclass against Crystal Palace, the plan to rest Koscielny against Wolves went out the window, and he had to play three games in six days. Which is fine if you’re a 25 year old, but at 33 off the back off a brutal injury it’s too much and high risk.

Then there’s a suggestion that Koscielny believed there to be a clause in his contract which allowed him to leave from free this summer. I’m not sure about this one, because back in January 2017 he Tweeted this:

So, he can’t really have thought we’d let him go for free this summer. What makes a bit more sense is him being unhappy at the amount we’re looking for in the market. I saw a report suggesting we’re seeking something in the region of £10m, and while I think it’s important we maximise our income this summer and we certainly have no obligation to let him go for free, you could understand why Koscielny might think that’s prohibitive to his chances of moving back to a smaller French club. We’ve just let a hugely experienced, 30 year old, fully fit, international goalkeeper move to Italy’s runners-up for something in the region of €4m, so to look for £10m for a player who turns 34 in September and who looked physically banjaxed last season might well have caused a serious problem.

Even so, I feel like there’s more to this story than we know right now. For a player of his experience, and in his position, to do what he’s done suggests there’s been a complete and utter breakdown between him and the club. None of the issues above are insurmountable or in any way unusual in the day to day goings on at football clubs. They are things which could have been sorted while he was on the tour, and there would have been no need for this furore, but he obviously felt like he had to go down the road he did.

Arsenal’s statement has divided opinion. For some it provides an openness and transparency which hasn’t always been our forte. For other its washing our dirty laundry in public. I do wonder about it, maybe it could have been kept in-house and the situation dealt with a bit more quietly, but they made their decision and its very much out in the open now.

In truth, nobody comes out of this smelling of roses. Koscielny is wrong, no question about it, but just four weeks out from the start of the season it doesn’t reflect well on the people running the club that the captain has behaved this way. I think it tells us something about what he thinks of our direction and this current set-up. Again, that’s not making any kind of excuse for Koscielny, the criticism for him is completely justified, but when a player of his experience decides to do what he did, it’s not an impulsive decision. It’s the action of a man at the end of his tether, and to me that’s really worrying.

It also leaves us with a bit of a mess at centre-half, an area we already needed to strengthen this summer. Koscielny’s position is now surely untenable, and it’s hard to see how he can continue with the club. Rob Holding isn’t going to be fully fit for a while after his cruciate injury; Shkodran Mustafi is a player we desperately want to get rid of; Dinos Mavropanos is not, according to David on the podcast, considered a ‘credible option’ at this moment in time; we’ve offered Calum Chambers to Crystal Palace to try and get the Zaha deal done, which tells you what we think of him; while there are reports that Krystian Bielik has been told Emery has no role for him next season. Perhaps that might change in the wake of this situation, but in essence it leaves us with 31 year old Sokratis as the only central defender we actively want who is ready to start the season. I think it also tells you plenty about the state of our squad that a 33 year old Koscielny, with his physical problems, is so important to us.

What a mess. On top of a summer during which we’ve done almost nothing to improve the squad or move on some of the players we no longer want, we now have a very public falling out between the captain and the club, and the ramifications for all concerned are really serious. This doesn’t feel like we’re in a healthy position, or a particularly well run outfit right now. Raul Sanllehi’s ‘very good plan’ doesn’t seem to be that good at this moment in time.

Ultimately, for me at least, this is a really sad situation. For someone who has given us great service – with ups and downs like most players – to make his departure as difficult and contentious as possible, is really unfortunate. To feel that he has to behave in this way, that he’s been pushed into the most unprofessional action a player can take – to essentially go on strike – speaks volumes about what’s going on at Arsenal right now.

Absolutely be critical of Koscielny, he deserves it, but don’t think this is some prima donna throwing his toys out of the pram for no good reason, because that would be blinding yourself to the bigger issues at play here.

----------

Good news for Arsenal as transfer target left out of Euro giants’ pre-season squad amid reports of £43M offer

Arsenal have been dealt some good news in their pursuit of Spanish midfielder Dani Ceballos, after the player was left out of Real Madrid’s squad for their pre-season tour. According to the Mirror, the Gunners have been dealt a boost by this news, as they look to beat rivals Spurs to the midfielder’s signature this summer. This news regarding Ceballos come just after it was stated that the Gunners have submitted an offer of around £43M (€48M) for the Spanish ace as per Eldes Marque.

Ceballos was absolutely brilliant for Spain at the U21 European Championships this summer, as he helped La Roja win the tournament, as they beat Germany 2-1 in the final. The Los Blancos youngster was on form throughout the entirety of the tournament, with his displays seemingly catching the eyes of both Spurs and Arsenal. Now, considering that Ceballos did play a big role in Spain’s side at the U21 Euros this summer, it remains to be seen as to whether Real have left him out of their pre-season squad in order to make sure he rests properly before the start of the new season or not.

However, seeing as Ceballos has been left at home by Real this summer, it seems like the player will have the time on his hands that he needs in order to seal a transfer away from the Spanish capital.And it looks like his next destination could be the Emirates if the Gunners get their way with this one.

-----------

Arsenal eyeing a swoop for Brazil’s Copa America star: A smart choice by Emery

Arsenal have been linked with a move for Gremio winger and Brazil’s Copa America hero Everton Soares, it has been claimed. The Gunners have already enquired about Everton, as per Brazilian journalist Eduardo Gabardo, and could compete with PSG, who have also made initial contact. Interestingly, it is believed that the north London based outfit could have an advantage over PSG as Edu is the technical director of the former.

Edu played a key role in luring Gabriel Martinelli to the Emirates Stadium earlier this summer, and the Brazilian connection could help Arsenal in signing Everton as well. Predominantly a left-winger, Everton made his debut for Gremio back in 2014 and has become a key player for the Brazilian outfit. As the Brazilian Serie A has already commenced, Everton has been in a red-hot form as he has made 6 league appearances so far and has managed to score 3 goals.

He was one of the best performers in the 2019 Copa America as he finished the tournament as the top scorer, and helped Brazil win the title for the first time since 2007. Everton scored three goals and bagged one assist in six, outings and won the Golden Boot award. He also picked up the Man of the Match in the final, where Brazil defeated Peru 3-1. The 23-year-old is a typical modern-day inverted winger who can cut inside and test ‘keepers with his right foot.

Strong with his dribbling, Everton would add the much-needed spark to the Gunners attack as they looked out of sorts quite a lot of times last season. Everton managed 10 goals and three assists last season in the domestic league, and he is a goal-scoring winger, something that he proved in the Copa America as well. He would take the pressure of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette’s shoulders.

With a 5’7” frame, however, he isn’t a player who can hold off defenders or outmuscle them in a physical duel. That’s one area most Brazilian’s struggle with when the make the switch directly to the Premier League. It also remains to be seen if the Gunners can afford him as they have a tight budget this summer, and Everton’s value has skyrocketed after his impressive showing in the Copa America.

----------

The real reason behind Laurent Koscielny’s refusal to join Arsenal’s US tour

Arsenal shocked their fans yesterday morning by releasing a statement regarding Arsenal captain Laurent Koscielny, who refused to join up with the rest of the squad for their pre-season tour in the US.

The club released the following statement:

“We are very disappointed by Laurent’s actions, which are against our clear instructions.
We hope to resolve this matter and will not be providing any further comment at this time.”

Gooners have been crying out for a new centre-half to join the club, but now with the news that Koscielny will not be travelling, many fans are disappointed with the club captain’s surprise decision. Koscielny is regarded as a great professional, a role model for some and has been at Arsenal for the past nine years. But is there more to this than meets the eye?

Remember early on in the season, when Aaron Ramsey’s contract situation was still in the air, the media were reporting information about the new Juventus star wanting more money. This then made Aaron Ramsey seem like the villain, when in the end, it turned out that it wasn’t even his fault. Ramsey went on to say: “Everything has been going great with the club – we thought we were in a position where we had agreed a deal but that’s no longer the case.”

It seems that Koscielny wants to leave Arsenal and return to his homeland, France. The Arsenal skipper is reportedly earning £90,000 a week. This indicates that Koscielny isn’t after more money, because no one in France apart from PSG, would pay that sort of money for a 33 year-old player. Reports suggest tensions between the centre-back and the Gunners hierarchy have been brewing for several months – but after going back on their word with a reduced offer the Frenchman has demanded to leave and go back to France. Koscielny will almost certainly be stripped of the captaincy now and forced to train with the academy players until his future is resolved. It’s ultimately a sad ending to the defender’s career after nine years in north London.

=============

Saturday shennanigans

Good morning to you. It’s Tom filling in for blogs this dreich, dismal Saturday morning. It is July, yet it is not sunny and warm. It is summer, yet it is not in the least bit summery. In fact, it’s feckin’ dismal so far today. I’m especially annoyed because I slept with just a sheet on me last night and the window open, and so this morning I woke up absolutely freezing, but it doesn’t excuse the shitey conditions outside. It’s been lovely all week, and just seems to have decided that being the weekend, it’s going to be rubbish because I – me, personally – am not at work today. Anyway, I’ll do my best not to let my bitterness show. I’m not sure that’s going to work out, but we’ll see.

On to matters Arsenal, and I have to say I didn’t know what to make of Blogs’ report about Koscielny yesterday. That might be a reflection of me not knowing what to make of anything, well, pretty much all of last season really, maybe even since Arsene left, but I found it all even more dispiriting than today’s weather. Koscielny has been probably my favourite player since the invincibles team, so for him to treat the club the way he has feels especially demoralising, both in terms of his behaviour (there’s no doubt he’s entirely wrong to essentially go on strike), and in terms of what it says about his feeling for with the club that he holds – held – in such affection. What it says about how the club has changed such that he feels he should, could, and would behave the way he has is particularly disappointing. It’s the way players at other – shitty, classless – clubs behave, not how things are done at Arsenal, and especially not by players like Kos. Yet here we are. Are we one of those clubs now? It would appear so. Perhaps we’ve always been like this and my memory is being selective.

There’s little new to add to the situation. I’m not sure there’s profound meaning to be found in Kos apparently updating an emoji on his Instagram profile (that’s really what qualifies as news?!), and as Blogs alluded to yesterday, it’s seems unlikely to me that a man of Koscielny’s experience is simply being poorly advised by his representation, as Ian Wright seems to think. Unfortunately, it’s hard to see how Kos’s position is in any way tenable, certainly as captain, but probably even as an Arsenal player. I didn’t actually know he wanted to go. It was obvious that he was going to be involved less and less often – the ravages of injury having caught up with him – and I certainly knew we needed to strengthen at centre half, but I wasn’t aware that he actively wanted out. It’s all very miserable.

Moving on, in almost as cheery news, it’s being reported that Sp*rs are attempting to hijack our proposed deal for Saint-Etienne defender William Saliba. The idea was that we would €30m to sign the player, only to loan him back to Saint-Etienne for the season, but the suggestion is that Sp*rs have come in with a larger offer. It seemed like an odd deal to me, since if we have such limited funds, spunking €30m on a defender that we weren’t going to see until next season wasn’t going to help a situation that needs addressing now rather than in a year’s time. It’s not great news, but whether it turns out to be accurate is something we’ll have to wait to find out. If it does turn out to be true, it might not be the worst thing in the world because we’ll need to turn our attention elsewhere and maybe that’ll result in us getting a player now rather than twelve months’ time. I’m sure that won’t present any kind of problem for our well oiled and efficient transfer making machine. Not at all.

Perhaps Raul and co have another target in mind, someone that none of us have heard of that can slot in immediately and all thoughts of Saliba will immediately be forgotten. Perhaps it was all a smokescreen, but it’s hard to believe that’s the case, and it all adds to the impression that Blogs has discussed in previous days that things are badly wrong at the club right now. We’re just four weeks – four weeks! How the hell did that happen? – away from the start of the season, and we’ve not added to a team that collapsed spectacularly at the end of the season, and then got humped in the final of the Europa League – and it’s not like it was all happiness and sunshine throughout the season before that. Emery’s challenge – to get us back into the top four – feels a world away from where we seem to be right now. Without some serious squad reinforcement, which doesn’t seem to be coming, it’s hard to see us even being in contention for the top four, never mind actually in it, and then I’m not sure what our expectation should be. That we remain in the top six? Urgh.

Perhaps I’ve just not been paying enough attention, but it all just feels really very directionless at the moment – there doesn’t seem to be a plan, and we need one to get us back to where we want to be.

-----------

Lies, damn lies, and Kieran Tierney

Good morning, weather watchers. Today will be partly cloudy with a forecast high of 18c, and a low of 11c. It’s currently 14c, and partly cloudy. That’s what Google is telling me anyway. I can see blue sky out of my window, with a few wispy, trails of cloud, high in the sky. Are you lying to me Google? She says not. She says her job is to give me information, and that she would feel really bad if she lied. Should I trust Google? She says she’s sure I’ll do the right thing. That seems oddly sinister, like not trusting her would be “the wrong thing”. And then what happens? Does she start randomly deleting files? Cherished photos that I’ve saved to the cloud over the past nine years? Important documents – contracts, and other business documents? Maybe all my passwords. Perhaps she’ll start giving me deliberately false information, like the length of my commute to work. “Sure, Tom, it’ll take you twenty minutes to get to work, no bother”. Two hours later, I’ll be screaming and cursing in a ten mile tailback on the Edinburgh bypass, with Google quietly chuckling to herself in my pocket. Maybe she’ll start turning the lights on in the middle of the night, or playing music at very high volume at 4am. “Do you still not trust me, Tom?” This is the future I’ve laid out for myself.

We’ll start this morning with confirmation from the ever reliable David Ornstein that yesterday’s suggestion that the ever wanky Tottnumb Hotspurts have indeed joined the race to sign William Saliba. This seems to be because they do actually have a need to sign a centre half, and not just because they’re wankers (though, you know, that too, obvs). With Toby Alderweireld available to anyone that triggers his £25m release clause between now and July 26th, there’s a chance they could be in some difficulty themselves in that area, though whether anyone is actually interested in triggering said release clause is another matter. Jan Vertonghen is out of contract next summer and would be available on a free should he choose not to re-sign with the filthy fuckers, which is another reason they’re in the market for a centre back. Time was we’d laugh at them for getting themselves in such a state, but while we can still laugh because they’re Tottnumb and that means they’ll be forever shite (no really, they will, no matter what they do, where they finish, and however many trophies they do – or don’t – win), unfortunately our laughter will eventually tail off when we’re bored with it and we’ll be confronted with the reality that finishing fourth in the league and thus getting a foot in the Champions League is actually quite important and it’s probably best not to fuck up two very presentable opportunities to do so.

Whether Saliba is the answer to their not-nearly-as-pressing-need as ours remains to be seen, but a proactive attitude like the one they’re evidently showing, where they’re looking for replacement players in positions they don’t actually have an immediate problem, is something we’re sorely lacking.

Moving on, various sources are reporting that we’ve made a megabucks bid for Lille winger Nicolas Pépé, with a figure of €80 being touted. Now, I like a good transfer rumour as much as anyone (actually, I’m not sure I really do like transfer rumours, since they’re nearly always bollocks), but the idea that we’ll spend almost double our reported transfer budget on one player, in a position that isn’t nearly as pressing as some others, is fanciful in the extreme. It’s being widely reported, which doesn’t make it any more likely. Whether it’s the talk of an agent, or Lille themselves, trying to drive up the player’s perceived value, doesn’t really make any difference. I will confidently predict that we are not signing a player for that kind of money, and anyone that says we are is a bigger liar than Google. Even when he’s unveiled at the Emirates next week, holding up a shirt, and standing with Raul et al, explaining how he’s always been an Arsenal fan and his dream has always been to play in the same team as Mustafi, I will still not believe it’s true. Because it’s not. Arseblog News rates this one at seven poos, but I’m not sure even that gives it its due. I expect its rating at seven poos is simply because we ran out of poo.

Next up is a story about former head of recruitment Sven Mislintat’s “dismay” at Unai Emery’s decision to overrule him and sign Denis Suarez last season instead of giving younger players like Joe Willock and Bukayo Saka a go on the wing. In the event, and as we know only too well, Suarez was a complete flop, and played only 95 utterly forgettable minutes for the club before hauling ass back to Barcelona (I have genuinely forgotten when he played, so in this case it’s not even a cliché). I wonder how much that decision informed Mislintat’s own decision to part ways and head to Stuttgart. I can imagine a bit, considering how it turned out, but then maybe he went round the place with undisguised glee, singing “I told you so, I told you so!” and after that he just couldn’t stay. Seems entirely possible.

Finally for today, we’ll come back to the realms of the remotely conceivable, with news that we’ve gone back to Celtic with an improved offer for Celtic left back, Kieran Tierney. The figure being quoted is £25m, which seems like something Celtic would have to take seriously, and much more in line with what we might actually spend and what they might both expect and accept. I don’t know anything about the player, save that he plays for Celtic (duh), but according to Sky he’s currently injured, which would make him exactly the sort of signing we’d make. We shall see. It does seem like one that could actually happen, but who knows?

“Hey Google, will Arsenal make any transfers this summer?”
“Sorry, I’m not sure how to help with that.”
Hmm. Me either.

That’s your lot for today. In non-Arsenal-sporting news, it’s a veritable festival of things I won’t be allowed to watch, with the British Grand Prix, the Wimbledon final, and the final of the Cricket World Cup taking place. Time was I’d have spent such a day on the couch with a few cans, and thoroughly enjoyed my Sunday. Today I have a much better proposition – spending the day heading between the garden centre and the allotment (in these Brexit-angst-driven days, growing your own food seems only sensible), and looking after the wee man, who’s currently feeling most unwell having picked up a bug at nursery. Domestic bliss is wonderful.

---------

Storm clouds gathering over Arsenal as Laurent Koscielny's revolt raises wider questions
    Sam Dean

You would not have thought it from looking at the pictures of their first day in Los Angeles but there are storm clouds gathering above Arsenal, for whom any sense of pre-season optimism is already starting to fade.

It was with uncertainty and no little anger that Arsenal touched down in California last week at the start of phase two of the Unai Emery journey. Even the joys of the Golden State will do little to lighten the mood at a club who are reeling from the rebellion of Laurent Koscielny, their most senior player, and still coming to terms with the financial cost of their failure to qualify for the Champions League.

Emery no doubt hoped to begin the campaign with a clean slate. A few days into training, and a few days before they had even played their first match, Koscielny has provided the first blotch. It already feels like Arsenal are on the back foot, desperately trying to regain their composure, and we are not yet halfway through July.

To recap, Koscielny fancies a return to his native France, wants to do so for free and thinks the deal structure allows him to leave now. Arsenal, on the other hand, expect their captain to honour his contract, worth around £90,000 per week, which has a year to run. In an attempt to force a move, Koscielny has refused to attend the pre-season tour. These are early days in the dispute, yet it seems clear at this stage that Koscielny is far from clued up on the ins and outs of UK employment law.

Then again, who can truly say what is right and wrong in the deranged soap opera that is modern football, where battles are fought on emotional grounds, using phrases such as “loyalty” and “service to the club”, rather than with any real-world logic? Whatever the outcome, Koscielny’s revolt raises wider questions.

What does it say about Arsenal, for example, that the club captain is so desperate to leave that he has willingly taken a torch to his professional reputation? What will it say to the rest of the squad if Koscielny gets his wish? What will it do to Arsenal’s season if Koscielny is kept at the club, loitering at the training ground with no hope of regaining Emery’s trust?

Among those who must find solutions is Edu, the new technical director, who can only hope that his first week on the job is his worst week on the job. This time last weekend, Edu was the general coordinator of the Brazilian side who were about to win the Copa America. Now he is knee-deep in the financial and sporting quagmire that is the Arsenal 2019.

Friday’s news that Tottenham Hotspur were trying to hijack Arsenal’s move for William Saliba, the Saint-Etienne teenager, would only have worsened the atmosphere. Arsenal have been on the brink of completing a deal for days, following weeks of negotiations, but discussions over minor details have presented Spurs with an opportunity. Just as the Arsenal executive team landed in the United States, Daniel Levy was making his move back home. More questions to answer, more problems to solve.

It almost goes without saying that the delay over the completion of the Saliba deal stems from Arsenal’s financial position under the ownership of Stan Kroenke. Arsenal are fully self-sustainable as a business and so, with no Champions League football on the agenda for a third consecutive season and a wage bill stretched to its limits, they must agonise over every pound in every instalment in every transfer fee.

It is also why they are yet to secure the signature of Celtic’s Kieran Tierney, an exceptional left-back who is available for a very reasonable price, and why their chances of signing Crystal Palace’s Wilfried Zaha remain slim.

Arsenal face Colorado Rapids, also owned by Kroenke, in their first match of pre-season on Tuesday. The discussions between Kroenke and the club’s executive team will certainly be interesting, although it will no doubt be made clear to the 71-year-old that the forecast is not entirely bleak for his team.

Yes, there are serious problems in defence. And yes, they have not yet recruited a replacement for the departed Aaron Ramsey in midfield. But Arsenal’s squad remains dangerous in attack, and it should not be forgotten that they finished just two points off third place in Emery’s first season. The Spaniard will certainly believe himself capable of improving their output this time around. There are some exciting young players coming through, too.

Perhaps the Koscielny issue will galvanise the troops. Arsenal have lacked leadership for too long and there is a chance that someone else stepping up to the plate will facilitate a change of attitude. Emery wants fighting, passionate players who will commit to his cause. Koscielny is evidently not going to be that character, so why not give the responsibility of the captaincy to someone who wants to be the first man into the fight rather than the first man out of the door?

As it stands, the only thing that is certain is that this will not be a smooth process. Indeed, the current predicament was best summarised by Calum Chambers, who last week tweeted a picture of himself and fellow defender Rob Holding in the cockpit of the club’s plane. “Fasten your seatbelts,” Chambers wrote. “It’s going to be a bumpy ride.”

-------

Report: Edu makes enquiry to sign star Copa America winger for Arsenal

Arsenal’s new technical director Edu Gaspar arrived last week and it seems he is wasting no time in attempting to accelerate the clubs movement in the market this summer, with  GloboEsporte suggesting the Brazilian has made contact with Gremio to ask for more information about winger Everton Soares. With Crystal Palace demanding in excess of £80million for Wilfried Zaha, the Gunners may have been forced to look elsewhere for a new winger. Everton is a riskier signing as he is not Premier League proven like Zaha, but he is three years younger and could potentially reach a higher level than Zaha.

With a limited budget, these are the kind of risks Arsenal will need to take. I can understand why Emery, who has just one year remaining on his current contract, may prefer a signing like Zaha, who is more likely to hit the ground running. The Gunners have already signed one Brazilian winger this summer in Gabriel Martinelli. But Everton is further along in his development and aged 23 was one of Brazil’s best players at this summers Copa America. Everton is known for his high work rate and excellent dribbling ability, two attributes that would certainly be welcomed at Arsenal. Capable of playing anywhere across the frontline, Everton is best when playing as a left winger.

With Martinelli signing, the interest in Zaha and Everton and the return of Reiss Nelson, the Gunners look set to return to a more familiar 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 formation next season. In the video above, Everton says that he is not sure if he will be playing for Gremio on Thursday. This hints that a transfer is quite close. Whether or not the club he will join is Arsenal is another matter, but it is clear that the Gunners are interested in the player and that the arrival of Edu could give the club an advantage in negotiations. Edu has been working with the Brazilian national team for some time and even as recently as the Copa America, where Everton was a key player.

-------

Why Edu is not responsible for Arsenal's summer transfer plans
Edu was confirmed as Arsenal's new sporting director last week but will not be responsible for their summer dealings

Arsenal technical director Edu is not responsible for the Gunners' transfer plans this summer. Brazilian Edu has returned to the Emirates this summer as the backroom restructure shaped up. Arsenal have been linked with a host of players since his appointment was confirmed last week, including Brazil's Copa America hero Everton . And while it is a huge summer for Arsenal in the transfer market after missing out on the Champions League, the hierarchy insist Edu is not responsible and is not taking a lead role in this summer’s window.

Edu will take a keen interest but the club’s plans had already been put in place with chief negotiator Huss Fahmy has remained in London to oversee deals. Unai Emery has been given a transfer budget of just £40m to spend this summer with other deals only being funded through the sale of other players. Former Arsenal midfielder Edu will only begin his role in earnest after the window shuts days before the start of the new Premier League season. However, Edu was so keen to feel part of the set-up again that he insisted upon flying to London from Brazil last Thursday - only getting a three hour stop-over - just to get the club’s charter plane for the US tour rather than going direct to Los Angeles.

Arsenal have already had bids rejected for Wilfried Zaha and Kieran Tierney as they look to strike agreements, paying less money up front. But they have returned with an improved £25m bid for Tierney and remain in the hunt for Zaha, despite Crystal Palace valuing the winger at £80m. Arsenal have also dismissed reports from France that a £70m bid has been made for Nicolas Pepe.

--------

Arsenal's transfer budget does not include a centre back
By 1970's Gooner

As we all know Arsenal's transfer budget was based on the accounting cash generated from the operations of the business of running a football club. Stan Kroenke and his son are hard nosed businessmen.  They are not some benefactors that have bought a football club in the PL in order to realise a dream they had when they were small kids of 'one day owning their local football club'. Like for example Jack Walker with Blackburn. Nor are they Roman Abramovich, an Emir or even an Arab State who literally have money to burn.

So 40m plus say another 4 m (for Ospina) and what you can raise from selling players, preferably the big wage earners, is your lot and do the best you can because the business cannot afford more Mr Emery, they say.  But 40 to 44m cannot really buy you much with the highly inflated prices of these days. Which are, by the way, brought about by the huge sums of money spent by the few mega clubs of Europe and the English clubs owned by the benefactors, as explained above.

Faced with this what can Emery and Arsenal's transfer 'gurus' do? Not much really. We all know that Arsenal need to add a centre back, a left back and a wide midfielder as a minimum. Arsenal's current budget can get you an average player in only one of these categories.  Can money be raised by selling unwanted players?

The answer is not much:

Mustafi: No takers
Ozil: No takers (unless we pay more than half his wages)
Koscienly: 5m?
Chambers: Probably Fulham but at 5m say?
Elneny: 5m at best.
Jenkinson: 3 to 5m

That's a total of about another 18 to 20m if indeed there are buyers at these prices AND the players are willing to go of course. If we can manage to get these sort of money then we are talking at best 60 to 65m. Less the 6m we paid for Marinelly leaves 54 to 59m. If we get the Tierney deal over the line at 20m now plus extras (which would raise it to 25m over time) then that leaves us with 34 to 39m. Can you get the quality centre back and the wide midfielder we all want with this kind of money?

The answer is no.
My feeling is that prior to Koscienly's unexpected downing of tools the plan was NOT to buy a centre back. Koscienly and Socrates would have been the initial pairing until Holding returned to action in September.  The money saved was to be used to buy a decent wide midfielder. Or even to persuade Mr Kroenke to chip in with another 40m to buy Zaha....

The strategy for now is obvious: Stick to the plan. Persuade Koscienly to return to the fold. In this way the plan can be fulfilled. If however this proves not possible then what?  I still think that the Arsenal transfer gurus will be keen to stick with Socrates, Monreal, Holding (in September) and Mavropanos if Kroenke accepts to release funds to make the Zaha transfer possible. This would be too good an opportunity to miss...

Otherwise they will either spend the rest of the budget (assuming it is augmented with player sales as above) to bring in a new centre back and rely on Iwobi, Mkhitaryan and Reiss Nelson for the wide areas. OR split the budget to buy a centre back and wide midfielder at 20m each! Not recommended of course. All the above depend on adding to the original budget, player sales worth around 18 to 20m. If we don't manage that we are in deep shit.

---------

Arsenal target Dani Alves – would he be a good signing?

Arsenal have been linked with an audacious move for Dani Alves, but would he be a good signing for the club?  According to claims from Spanish news outlet AS, as cited in a transfer round-up from Sky Sports, the Gunners have entered the race to recruit the experienced right-back.  Alves departed Paris Saint-Germain at the end of last season following the expiration of his contract, and Premier League interest appears to be gathering ahead of next term. Unai Emery is reportedly keen to add him to the Arsenal squad as they gear up for a crucial season, and it is easy to see why.  Alves may be 34-years-old, but he remains a world-class player. He displayed this in Copa America, where he helped Brazil win the trophy with some excellent displays on the right-hand side.  The defender has long been a consistent performer for both club and country, and despite entering the twilight of his career, would improve every side in world football. Arsenal are stocked in this position; Hector Bellerin and Ainsley Maitland-Niles are two strong options for Emery to call upon throughout next season.  However, the opportunity to sign a player of such pedigree seldom comes about, and on a free transfer, signing Alves would surely be a no-brainer, regardless of his likely-high wage demands.

---------

SHAMEFUL DAY FOR ISLAM – PREACHER WAN JI BEATEN IN THE FACE 3 TIMES BY WARDEN WITH ‘THICK KELANTANESE ACCENT’

KUALA LUMPUR, July 15 — Muslim preacher Wan Ji Wan Hussin alleged that a prison warden with a thick Kelantanese accent attacked him while he was held pending his appeal of his sedition conviction. In a YouTube video uploaded on July 13, Wan Ji detailed his experience while in custody at Kajang Prison. “I was in the lock-up and the police told me to undress and proceeded to shave my head. Then a man in a warden’s uniform who had his face covered with a cloth came in and with the thick Kelantan accent asked me who I was, and then told me to remove my spectacles.

“The moment I did so I was hit three times in the face. “I remember thinking what did I do wrong for him to hit me like this?” he said in the video. Wan Ji asserted that others were in the room at the time and laughed at his predicament. Upon his release on July 12, Wan Ji said he informed PKR president Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and his daughter, Nurul Izzah Anwar, of the alleged assault.

He said Anwar immediately called the Prison Department to demand that it find and apprehend the culprit. Wan Ji said he was not angry but decided to reveal the matter in order to allow his alleged attacker the change to apologise and resolve the incident. “I don’t know why he did it to me but if I report him then he may not be able to gain employment anywhere. “I’m not being vindictive or seeking revenge against the person who hit me, but what he did is not good. He could do it to others as well,” Wan Ji explained.

Wan Ji suggested his attacker may have been a PAS or Umno supporter who was upset at his videos. He then warned the person that he would lodge a police report if an apology is not made to him. On July 9, the High Court rejected Wan Ji’s appeal against his conviction for making seditious remarks against Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah of Selangor seven years ago. The judge also raised the Muslim preacher’s prison sentence from nine months to a year following a cross-appeal from the Attorney General’s Chambers. Wan Ji was held in prison until July 12 as the judge refused to stay the execution of the sentence unless this was presented as a formal application. – Malay Mail

-----------

BOMBSHELL – GAME OVER FOR AZMIN: DELIBERATELY OR NOT, IGP GIVES THE GAME AWAY –
HIS STATEMENT IMPLIES MINISTER’S GAY SEX VIDEO IS AUTHENTIC

This is from The Sun:
Mastermind behind viral sex video identified: IGP
14 JUL 2019

1. mastermind behind the production and circulation of sex video identified
said Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Abdul Hamid Bador
(OSTB : This is the first giveaway – If the video was a ‘Deep Fake’ they only need a lap top and some downloaded software to ‘fabricate’ the Deep Fake. You do not use words like ‘behind the production’.)

2. police had made several arrests to facilitate further investigations into case

(OSTB : This is the 2nd giveaway – If the video was a ‘Deep Fake’ it only needs one or two video fellows with a laptop to make a Deep Fake. They can also be located anywhere in the world.  You do not need some fellow to be physically here in Malaysia to make a Deep Fake video. Sekarang semua boleh buat Online ma.)

He also did not rule out possibility politicians and a NGO involved

(OSTB : Politician ke, NGO ke – here is the soalan cepu mas – is the video real or fake? Please answer that question first. The rest are all quite not relevant. You can drag the kerbau to the mudhole but you cannot force the kerbau to mandi lumpur. That one only the kerbau can do. So, kalau lah kerbau sudah dengan rela mandi dalam lumpur, why do you want to take the kerbau to the cuci kereta to wash off all that mud? The kerbau mandi lumpur is already in the video.)

focus of investigation is on those involved in production and circulating video
“we have found evidence of conspiracy and plot (aimed) to topple someone”

(OSTB : Conspiracy to topple someone is NOT a crime. I do it ALL THE TIME. Its almost a hobby. But how you do it can be a crime.  You CANNOT use illegal, violent or criminal means to topple someone. But the fruit of a poisonous tree is also poisonous. Meaning, a crime is still a crime – whether sudah kena topple or belum kena topple. And in any civilised society “giving information” about a crime by itself cannot be a crime. Instead NOT “giving information” about a crime is a crime.

Here is Section 13 of the Criminal Procedure Code :

Malaysian Criminal Procedure Code (‘the CPC’).

Section 13 of the CPC imposes a duty on the public to give information about certain crimes that we are aware of.
A list of crimes has been listed down under Section 13, and here are some examples:

Waging war against the Agong
Possessing weapons at a riot
Murder
Kidnapping or abducting
Exploiting any person for the purpose of prostitution
Rape
Incest
Buggery with animal
Carnal intercourse without consent

So if a person rapes a girl and you know about it then it becomes a CRIME NOT to “give information”  about the crime.

If a male person engages in homosexual acts / buggery with another male and you know about it then it becomes a CRIME NOT to “give information”  about the crime. This is as per Section 13 of  the Malaysian Criminal Procedure Code. And the law says you cannot plead ignorance of the law. You cannot break the law and say ‘I did not know this was against the law’.  (Or that you mistook a bear cub for a puppy.) And you need not be a lawyer to know the law. Just search Google.

Hamid said once investigations completed, those involved would be arrested
police recorded statements from several witnesses
detained those who circulated video

(OSTB : This is giveaway No. 3. Police have “recorded statements from several witnesses“.    If the video was a Deep Fake, then what witnesses are we talking about?  What did these witnesses see?

i.   The receptionist at the hotel in Sandakan.
ii. The hotel workers, the cleaners who observed the “actors” inside the room, walking in the corridor, etc.

Were these the witnesses?   So there is NO SUCH THING as a “Deep Fake” video?

Action will also be taken against those involved in viralling the same-sex video.
We are also in the midst of tracking down those who misused their social media to circulate the video, as well as through their mobile phones,” he said.

OSTB : I repeat,  here is Section 13 of the Criminal Procedure Code :

Malaysian Criminal Procedure Code (‘the CPC’).

Section 13 of the CPC imposes a duty on the public to give information about certain crimes that we are aware of.
A list of crimes has been listed down under Section 13, and here are some examples:

Waging war against the Agong
Possessing weapons at a riot
Murder
Kidnapping or abducting
Exploiting any person for the purpose of prostitution
Rape
Incest
Buggery with animal
Carnal intercourse without consent

So if a person rapes a girl and you know about it then it becomes a CRIME NOT to “give information”  about the crime.

If a male person engages in homosexual acts / buggery with another male and you know about it then it becomes a CRIME NOT to “give information”  about the crime. This is as per Section 13 of  the Malaysian Criminal Procedure Code. 

PKR Youth chief Haziq confessed to being in the video

OSTB :  Please dont tell me the people who distributed / circulated the video via social media will be arrested but the fellow who has already confessed to be one of the “actors” in the video will not be arrested? Tak masuk akal. The fruit of a poisonous tree is also poisonous.

the case’s investigation papers need to be updated and improved

OSTB :  Please do a thorough job.
Bukit Aman make several trips to Sandakan
to gather more evidence from those involved
it would take quite some time.

OSTB :  This is a dead give away.  So it is certainly NOT a DEEP FAKE video. Otherwise why do the Police need to visit Sandakan so many times, especially to the hotel. Deep Fake videos can be made using a laptop – from anywhere in the world. From your living room, from Hong Kong, from Mumbai or anywhere else in the world.

The police have to keep visiting Sandakan “to gather more evidence from those involved”.   This simple means the events in question did really happen in Sandakan.  There is NO Deep Fake video etc. 

certain actions need to be taken before papers submitted to AG
All those actions upon instructions from AG
we have submitted papers twice

authenticity of video, been sent to lab for scientific verification
it would take some time before the result is known — Bernama

OSTB : This is another dead giveaway. The investigation papers have already been submitted to the AG.

Meaning the investigations are already completed, including the forensic analysis of that video.  Since this whole incident has been kicked off by that viral video, the authenticity of the video is critical. The Police CANNOT submit their investigation papers to the AG WITHOUT the results of the video lab analysis if the video was real or fake. The video has been analysed.

If the video was fake there is no need to waste time travelling to Sandakan looking for more evidence and interviewing witnesses. Everything the IGP has said indicates that the video is real.

Here is the soalan cepu mas – who wants to take the Minister out?

What do I think ?

I fully support the suggestion that Rafidah Aziz be made Senator and Higher Education Minister and then Prime Minister.  But I am just a blogger. Imagine if super powerful people also want the same thing to happen ie Rafidah Aziz becomes our 8th Prime Minister.

Then DVD, CD, pen drive, You Tube? Which one do you prefer?
– http://syedsoutsidethebox.blogspot.com

----------

TOTALLY MIXED-UP IN THE HEAD MALAYSIA: UNRECOGNISED DOCTORS WANT TO
CONTRIBUTE & PAY TAXES – BUT MAHATHIR’S HEALTH MINISTER ISN’T INTERESTED

It’s been 14 months since Pakatan Harapan (PH) took over. The jubilant and exuberant spirit has long gone. Nowadays when PH politicians speak, people start grumbling about promises not fulfilled. How are people to trust a government that doesn’t fulfill it’s manifesto’s promises? Do they think people are fools to be taken for a ride?

This was the same feeling when many of us heard the Prime Minister say “We have promised to share the country’s wealth and we have introduced a new policy of shared prosperity… we will make sure that no one will be left behind.” – MalaysiaKini 30th June (https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/481759).

What has PH done for unrecognised doctors till now? Aren’t they still left behind? There is total silence from PH. Requests to meet ministers go unanswered. After an initial meeting with the Health Minister in October where he asked each person to write in personally before he rushed off when the hour was up, nothing has happened. Just one meeting doesn’t mean the job is done.

In fact most of us today feel that initial meeting was just done as an eye wash. We want substantive results on the ground! Right now there is nothing to show! Parliament is in sitting now. Is it too hard to change repressive discriminativelaws and treat everyone equally? Isn’t that what the doctors from so called unrecognised universities are asking for? To be treated equally?

To let them join housemanship like every other Malaysian and be judged then instead of being made to sit for unnecessary qualifying exams? Everyone thought PH would be a fair government but right now, many are disillusioned by them as we don’t see this happening in our lives. In fact many are saying that the Harapan is no more there. Only the Pakatan is still there!

Why can’t they contribute?

When Trump came to power, one of the first acts he did was to remove all unnecessary laws which were suffocating the economy. Under him the US saw a re-emergence of its coal and steel industries. He made it a point that for every law passed, there would be at least 2 unnecessary laws removed from the books. This has liberalised the American economy till they have one of the lowest unemployment rates seen for decades.

Maybe PH should take a leaf from his book. Instead of just criticising Trump and calling him erratic, Mahathir should pick up a few pointers from him especially on reviving the stagnant economy. One way of doing this is by letting the doctors from unrecognised universities start working so they can contribute and pay taxes. Is that so hard to figure out?

Why are these doctors cast aside?

Enough of playing racial games and wasting the talents of these doctors. What is so difficult to give them a chance to prove themselves? Mahathir himself has said that Matriculation is for weak students. But these students are sent abroad with marks from mainly course work and many come back as doctors. All because the government sent them to so called recognised universities due to the mutual agreements between governments.

There the universities are forced to pass them. Do you know that the certs from those government sponsored chaps to universities in UK are chopped at the back, “Not to be used in the UK”? How much does the government spend for each of these sponsored doctors in terms of scholarships and living expenses which are footed by the tax-payer?

It’s in hundreds of thousands! But here the government can’t even appreciate the self funded unrecognised doctors. Isn’t that plain mean of the government? We all know that unrecognised doctors are mainly non Malays who are not given government scholarships due to the quota system. Facing all odds, they self educated themselves and instead of being appreciative of their spirit of determination, the government just ignores them and puts hurdles for them to cross.
Why are the laws not changed?

When laws for smoking could be so quickly passed by the Health Minister for the well being of the general public, why the apathy to change laws regarding doctors? Wasn’t equality promised by the PH government in all their speeches and road shows before the elections? Why is it that even after 14 months, the Malaysian Medical Council still has 2/3rds of its members appointed?

At the end of this month, nearly 50 doctors are fighting for about 10 seats on the council. Where is the democracy when 21 fellows just get to sit there as they are from the public universities? These chaps already have other portfolios. Will they be able to spend time on matters of the council?

Isn’t it also a conflict of interest when they keep doctors from joining the medical services as their primary interest is towards their own students from government universities? Why is it so hard to change the Medical Act regarding this? We don’t need BN era laws in this era of PH, but why aren’t die hard PH politicians doing anything about this? You don’t even need a 2/3rds majority for that. A simple majority will do!

Are there enough doctors?

Even now we don’t have enough doctors. This was clearly said in the Malay Mail
article of June 30 (https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2019/06/30/doctor-hospital-bed-ratio-in-johor-still-way-off-health-ministry-target-say/1766871?).

Can’t these doctors be allowed to do some sort of probation for 6 months and be taken in instead of unnecessary exams? In fact nearly all of them have done probations more than once before exams in the past. Can’t that be taken on record and they be allowed to immediately join the service? It’s time to think outside the box!

The previous 1Malaysia clinics were run by Hospital Assistants (HA). This was a clear cut breach of the Medical Act. Even under PH they are still run by HAs but rebranded. Couldn’t these doctors be used instead as a form of training? Even a HA can treat patients but these doctors are said to be dangerous!

Why this discriminative law?

This law made in 1992 has only brought misery to them. Get rid of this Article 12A which discriminates against them! After all it was the MMC which didn’t have funds to go and recognise their universities. When MMC was sued by 30 doctors, that was what their lawyers replied saying it’s an exhaustive and costly affair to go and do the recognition.

Not because the universities were not up-to standard. We all know that when Mara or JPA sends students, the university will immediately be recognised. Did they get better overnight? In fact many are in this quandary because their universities didn’t give places to government sponsored students. If their universities had accommodated them, miraculously they would have been recognised.

Why allow cronyism?

Why isn’t PH breaking up this crony system? Universities which get recognition immediately double and even triple their capitation fees. By removing all this talk about recognition, there will hardly be any capitation fees charged as then universities will jump over each other to draw students and try to give them the best deal. That is what competition is about!

By having this unfair advantage of being recognised, it just helps breed corruption to get recognised. You really think the process has been clean all this while under BN? Even MMC officials have been caught being wined and dinedto get universities recognised. So why is PH not getting rid of this dirty game? Is PH also a party to this game now? BN has been the architect of all this in the past. Are the leftovers from BN still playing this game now in PH?

Why have these exams?

The exams are not cheap. It’s nearly RM7,000 now. That’s not including housing, transportation and food. If added up, it would be more than RM10,000minimum. The MMC sub-cons this exam to the government universities. The universities use this opportunity to make the unrecognised doctors sit for their remedial exam towards the end of the year to pass off the government’s weakest students who failed in the main exams earlier.

So after paying this huge amount, these doctors are just used as the failure rateof the universities! No doctor who has undergone this will ever trust this exam system ever again. What more when they are not allowed to pass part by part. They may have passed the theory or clinical exams but if just one part is failed, the whole exam is considered a fail. No other professional exam is run as such.

These exams are redundant as MMC previously allowed those who failed in all 3 attempts to join when the date of their Russian university’s recognition was pre-dated. Also, those in private universities in Indonesia were allowed to do a credit transfer after their 4 years of theory and only had to continue their 2 years of clinical in a recognised government university there.

This happened when they paid huge amounts to agents who found loopholes for these Malaysians when even the Indonesians couldn’t do such a transfer. Corruption breeds where there are restrictions. Why are other unrecognised doctors from Indonesia made to take a theory exam then? Haven’t their theory years been technically recognised now?

Don’t ever expect replies from MMC. They think they are Lords and all others have to only follow whatever verdicts they dish out! Instead of sympathising with the predicament of these doctors, those in power use them as laughing stock only. Is PH condoning this behaviour by keeping in place this discrimination?

Why is it unfair?

There is no student senate to fight for these doctors even if their marks are borderline. Lecturers who have never seen these students will definitely scrutinise them more compared to students they are familiar with especially in clinical exams. But then, these doctors still prove themselves in clinical exams as more than 95% clear it. It’s in the theory exams that they are penalised.

No marks from course work are given to them unlike the government students. Roll numbers have been found to be different. Unrecognised doctors previously have to answer in English as they are considered international students and the locals answer the same sections in Malay. And we know there is negative marking practiced for them but not the government students as the objective papers are computer marked.

What is stopping them from not keying in negative marking for unrecognised doctors only? And the MMC claims these exams are fair! What do you expect when 2/3rds of MMC members are appointed from the government universities? Now do you see the conflict of interest?

Are we too exclusive?

Why is it doctors who have passed the Australian Medical Council Exams, the UK PLAB exams, the US USMLE and Canadian Council Exams not allowed to be taken in? Do you mean to say these exams are rubbish? Then why is it the government sponsored doctors to these countries are allowed to practice?

Aren’t they also passing exit exams which are of the same standard as these exams? What a mess we create when we try to be exclusive! Why can’t everyone be treated equally? There are pre, mid and post tests in each department during housemanship. Why the need for any exams just to join housemanship?

In other countries, if you pass the entrance exams, you can be a medical officer. Only here do we have to take an entrance exam to be a houseman! You really want chaps who are specialists overseas to take a discriminative exam here just to be a houseman? So much for trying to stem the brain drain!

Why cast aside PH supporters?

I’ve given point by point rebuttals in my first 2 letters regarding the discrimination unrecognised doctors face. I have patiently waited nearly 5 months after my second letter for a proper response mainly from the Health Minister but there has been none. Does PH really want to win the hearts and minds of the people? Don’t they know that they are alienating their core supporters only?

Or are they waiting to make promises when their term is nearly over hoping that people will be fooled to vote for them again? Let’s stop these games! We have had enough of it during the BN era. The unrecognised doctors were the main ones who went to the ground ensuring PH won. Unlike taxi drivers and Felda settlers who are mainly BN supporters, these unrecognised doctors are made up of PH chaps.

Why do you think they haven’t made a show of holding placards to humiliate the government? Why is it the Prime Minister has time to meet taxi drivers and Felda settlers to woo them but not the unrecognised doctors and solve their matter? Do these doctors also have to start taking to the streets with placards?
Why aren’t we considered Malaysians?

Or is it because we are mainly Non-Malays? I avoided race in my first 2 letters but it looks like this card is being played to the hilt by certain parties in PH now to fish for votes only. By doing so, PH is just loosing those who were staunchly their supporters. We have nothing against the government helping the Malays but why can’t we all grow together?

Don’t just cast us aside just because we don’t fit your racial narrative. There are unrecognised doctors who are also Malays and Chinese although the majority are mainly Indians. Treat us all equally and do away with these racial lenses in Malaysia Baru. Let no Malaysian be left behind especially those doctors from unrecognised universities.

Now is the time for Mahathir to redeem himself. He was the architect of this previously. He has been given the trust and mandate again and should rectify the whole matter and truly make sure no Malaysian is left behind so the Harapan still shines bright.

Signed,
Disillusioned Malaysian Doctor
– Finance Twitter

---------

MAID RAPE: DON’T ALLOW PERAK EXCO OR ALLEGED ‘VICTIM’ TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY –
KEPONG MP CALLS FOR TRAVEL BAN PENDING PROBE

PERAK 13-06-2019.The Housing, Local Government, Public Transport, Non-Islamic Affairs and New Villages Committee chairman Paul Yong Choo Kiong speaking to the press at his service centre in Tronoh. MALAY MAIL/Farhan Najib

PETALING JAYA – Both Perak executive councillor Paul Yong and his maid, whom he allegedly raped, should not be allowed to leave the country until the case is resolved, Kepong MP Lim Lip Eng said. Lim said the police should apply for Yong to surrender his passport if he is found to be a flight risk. “At the same time, the alleged rape victim should not be allowed to leave Malaysia until the police have investigated the case thoroughly and the case has been tried in court in the event that Yong is charged for allegedly raping her,“ he added.

“The police must have gathered enough reasonable evidence before arresting Yong, otherwise the police would categorise the complaint as ‘no further action’ or investigate the maid for making a false police report.” Lim said the rule of law must be upheld at all times, whether if it involves an ordinary member of the public or a senior government official. Yong’s 23-year-old Indonesian maid lodged a police report on July 8 claiming that he had raped her at his house in Meru, Perak. The police arrested him the following day and released him on bail after recording a statement.
– Sundaily

----------

THEY TAKE OUR MONEY, THEY BEAT US & THEN THEY ACCUSE US:
BRUTALITY & CORRUPTION BY MALAYSIAN AUTHORITIES – NIGERIANS TELL THEIR SIDE OF THE STORY

As the drizzle clears in Desa Aman Puri, residents emerge from the apartments there as they go about their businesses, some to pick up items at the nearby grocery store while others head for the neighbourhood restaurant. The mundane scene was in stark contrast to a raid in the area on July 4, which saw the detention of several Nigerian citizens, including PhD student Orhions Ewansiha Thomas (photo, above), who was detained despite having valid documents and died in custody five days later.

The father of two died after suffering a seizure at the Immigration Department’s Bukit Jalil detention centre. The Immigration Department said it detained Thomas to verify his document as it was suspicious of his initial reaction to run when confronted but critics questioned why it needed five days to do so. Many Nigerians have taken up residence in the area, including 38-year-old Williams, who noted that there is also a significant police presence in the area.

However, Williams has never run into trouble with the police. But like Thomas, he had been detained by the Immigration Department before. Williams spoke of the poor condition in such detention centres. “It is not easy to be there. Everybody who came out from that place complained about their bad treatment. “They use the stick, you know?… Punch like this, you know? Some of them get wounds everywhere. “You cannot survive, the treatment is not good, as a human being,” Williams told Malaysiakini.

Another Nigerian resident, who only wanted to be known as Oke, said he was detained by the Immigration for three days at the airport. “For three days, they did not give me any food,” he said, alleging that Nigerians were singled out. Oke said he was not physically harmed but saw other detainees being assaulted. “I saw them kick somebody in the private part and the person fell down,” he added.

‘Police took my money’

Oke also claimed that he faced issues with police personnel from the Gombak district police headquarters, who he claimed had taken his money. “The police took my money – RM24,000. He said his people won’t go to prison, and he just wanted to buy his ticket to go back to Nigeria. “I send the money to the policeman’s account and he never gave back me the money until today,” Oke said while showing receipts of the purported transaction. “I went to the Gombak district police headquarters to report the police officer but he (the person taking the report) said Nigerians are cheating (people), that is why Malaysians cheat me… so the police cannot do anything,” he said.

Oke claimed the police asked him to provide information about other Africans whom they can raid and get money from, before returning his money. Meanwhile, a Malaysian resident, who only wanted to be known as Arelim, noted that there were many foreigners living in the area, including from Thailand, Philippines and Bangladesh. However, the 29-year-old said he did not face serious problems apart from noise complaints and quarrels among the foreigners themselves. “There are no theft issues, just noise and quarrels among them. They don’t create trouble for the locals,” Arelim said. However, he added, their numbers have dwindled following multiple raids, with at least two this year.

Immigration and police deny misconduct

When contacted, Immigration Department director-general Khairul Dzaimee Daud (photo, below) denied the mistreatment of detainees and any discrimination against Nigerians. “It’s untrue. Detainees of all nationalities are detained in the same block. If anyone is assaulted, other detainees would see. The treatment is the same. “However, the Immigration Department will not compromise with misconduct. Complaints must be coupled with evidence and stern disciplinary action will be taken,” Khairul said.

Gombak district deputy police chief Arsad Kamaruddin denied bribery claims against its officers. However, Arsad said, he is prepared to meet with the complainant for further investigation. “We arrested 95 Africans last June but did not receive any such complaint (about unreturned money). “If there is, I urge the victim to meet me so that the appropriate action can be taken,” Arsad said. – M’kini

--

No sign of physical assault on Nigerian who died in custody – Immigration DG

An investigation by the Immigration Department on the death of a Nigerian, Thomas Orhions Ewansiha (above), at an immigration depot in Kuala Lumpur, found no element of him being physically assaulted. Immigration Department director-general Khairul Dzaimee Daud said the department was however, still waiting for a medical report from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Hospital (HUKM) to confirm the cause of Ewansiha’s death. “As explained earlier, he (Ewansiha) died on July 9 and prior to that early treatment was given and the handling of his death was in compliance with standard operating procedures (SOP).

“The Immigration Department has met with the Nigerian embassy, the causes of death had been explained,” he said, adding that the meeting with the Nigerian embassy last Friday was also attended by 22 representatives from other embassies and high commissions. Khairul (above) disclosed this to reporters during an integrated operation at Jalan Silang in Kuala Lumpur today. In a statement last Friday, Khairul said that Ewansiha died on July 9 in custody after suffering a seizure while asleep.

Ewansiha was one of 20 foreigners picked up in an integrated operation on July 4 at Desa Aman Puri following public complaints. Meanwhile, the police gave the assurance that they would continue to monitor the situation at the Nigerian High Commission following a demonstration staged by about 20 people, claiming to be from the Nigerians In Diaspora Organisation Malaysia (NIDO-MY) last Friday. – Bernama

-------

8 Things The Bible Says Will Happen Before Jesus Returns Again
Here are eight things that the Bible tells us will happen before Jesus returns.

A Falling Away

The Apostle Paul clearly tells us that “the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared” (1 Timothy 4:1-2). There has undoubtedly been a falling away from the faith; just look at plummeting church attendance. But there is also a falling away from the truth of the Bible with manmade doctrines that have distorted and twisted Scripture to fit what false teachers/pastors/prophets believe. This is a falling away from the truth of God and falling into error, and many are being led astray.

Increase of Lawlessness

Paul also wrote that “the mystery of lawlessness is already at work. Only he who now restrains it will do so until he is out of the way. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will kill with the breath of his mouth and bring to nothing by the appearance of his coming” (2 Thessalonians 2:7-8). Apparently, the “mystery of lawlessness” was already at work in Paul’s day; but today many who profess Christ do not keep the commandments. And although we can’t be saved by the commandments, those who are saved strive to do so (1 John 3).

Love of Many Growing Cold

Jesus prophecies about the end of the age in saying, “because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold” (Matthew 24:13). Paul adds that “people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God” (2 Timothy 3:2-4). All you have to do is look at the news to see how lovers of self and haters of others has exploded in the world.

Persecution

The Voice of the Martyrs says that in just the last decade and a half of this century, there have been more killed for their faith than in all the time since Christ was crucified 2,000 years ago. In other words, take all of those killed for their faith for the last 2,000 years and then those killed in the last few decades and we see that more have died for their faith in recent years than in the previous 2,000 years!

Gospel Preached Worldwide

In the Olivet Prophecy, Jesus said about the end times that “this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come” (Matthew 24:14). Aren’t we closer than ever to the saturation point of the Gospel today? The Gospel has been proclaimed throughout the whole world on every continent and nearly every people group through ministries, missionaries, and other Christians. Jesus’ return appears to be very close.

Calling Evil Good

When you look around the world today, especially in the media, what used to be evil or bad just a few decades ago is now taunted as “good,” and what used to be upheld as those things that are good, are now seen as evil in the eyes of the world. Isaiah the Prophet sent a warning from God and said, “Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter” (Isaiah 5:20). The word “woe” is not just a groan or a moan, but this word means “a judgment,” so God will send His righteous judgment on all who call what is good, evil, and upon all who deem evil as good. People who do good things are now despised and ridiculed, but when people see evil, they actually rejoice. How backward this world is.

Wars and Rumors of Wars

There is a war on terrorism right now. Many nations have been impacted, but the death toll from terrorist attacks continues to grow, but there are also threats from radical countries like North Korea that threatened to blow the lid off of world peace. Jesus warned that in the last days, “you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are but the beginning of the birth pains” (Matt 24:6-8). Undoubtedly, there is more violence on the earth every day and it will only grow worse as Jesus’ second coming nears and that leads to another sign of Jesus’ return; violence will fill the earth.

Growing Violence

Jesus said that one of the signs leading up to His second coming would be like “the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man” (Matt 24:37), “For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark” (Matt 24:38). What were the days of Noah like? They were doing business as usual, marrying and giving in marriage, eating and drinking (partying?), but just as in the days of Noah, “The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually” (Gen 6:5). More than that, “the earth was corrupt in God’s sight, and the earth was filled with violence. And God saw the earth, and behold, it was corrupt, for all flesh had corrupted their way on the earth” (Gen 6:11-12). That’s when God sent His flood of judgment and that same judgment is coming again when Jesus Christ appears for the second time, and when they see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory, “even those who pierced him, and all tribes of the earth will wail on account of him” (Rev 1:7b) because they know their time of judgment has come.

Conclusion

Know that these things must happen before Christ appears for the second time (among other things), which include a falling away from the faith and the truth, growing lawlessness, the natural love of many growing cold, increased persecution, and the Gospel being proclaimed worldwide. I believe these have already happened; therefore, I see no reason that Jesus cannot come back today or tonight. All the more reason to hear what Jesus said: “Therefore, stay awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming” (Matthew 24:42). “Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect” (Matthew 24:44).

May God richly bless you,
Pastor Jack Wellman

----------

Let Go, But Never Give Up: Jacqueline Chung
What do you do when your child doesn’t want to believe in God any more? A mother shares her story of rejection and redemption.
Leslie Koh // June 13

The day Grace* Chung walked away from the faith was the day that her mother, Jacqueline, knew where she had gone wrong.

Raising a child in a Christian family and having a child “know” all the right things about God, she realised, was not enough. And the constant lecturing, scolding and preaching had clearly not worked.  A veteran in the early childhood sector and a pioneer of St. James’ Church’s children’s ministry, Jacqueline had imagined that she might have known more than most about raising and nurturing children.

She had thought that Grace’s seemingly firm grasp of spiritual issues made her sensible, and therefore had not worried about this aspect of her daughter’s life.  At the same time, she had also done what she thought was much-needed in laying a solid spiritual foundation. Unfortunately, she often ended up “spewing scripture, sermonising, and invoking fire-and-brimstone”.

    “I was the typical authoritarian parent. But I didn’t attend to her heart.”

Because Jacqueline and her pastor husband, Richard, believed in achievement, she constantly pushed her daughter to succeed and do well in school, in music lessons, and in everything she sent her daughter for. “I was the typical authoritarian parent,” admits the Senior Principal and Academic Director of St. James’ Church Kindergarten. “But I didn’t attend to her heart.”

‘I Just Wanted to be Understood’

Grace nods when she hears this. Her parents’ “task-oriented” approach, she says, didn’t go down well with her when she entered her teenage years. When they disapproved of her behaviour and lifestyle, instead of asking her why she behaved the way she did, they simply told her to stop it.

“It had the opposite effect,” says Grace. “The more they pushed me, the more I pushed back. I wanted them to understand how I felt and help me figure out my struggles, but they would just say, “Get over it.’ They just wanted it fixed. Didn’t matter what the reasons were, just get it fixed. But I just wanted to be heard, to be understood.”

Many teenagers, she adds, just want to be accepted for who they are, and not who they should be. And even more importantly, they don’t want to be defined by their actions.

For example, just because a teenager doesn’t obey her parents all the time doesn’t mean she’s being a rebel, she says. That feeling of rejection was also mirrored in church, where she never felt like she fit in.

    “Are you raising a child for yourself, or are you raising the child that the Lord has given you?”

Many adults, she says, kept questioning her “liberal” behaviour. “People asked, ‘Why do you have piercings? Why do you always wear black? Why do you listen to rock music?’ But I thought, ‘Why should that matter? It’s just my personality, it’s not a matter of my heart.’ But to them, I was not a typical, ‘acceptable’ Christian.”

The disapproving looks and questions gave Grace the impression that Christianity was all about rules, rituals, and religiosity.  It didn’t help that some of the teens in her church who appeared to be “good Christian kids” were also doing all sorts of things behind their parents’ backs.

The hypocrisy struck Grace. “Why pretend when you don’t believe?” she asks. “For me, I wanted to be honest to myself, to be true. I didn’t want to pretend to be someone else, I was who I was, even if my parents weren’t proud of me.” By this time, Grace had begun to assert herself and her social circle had become wider. The influence of peers and social media had begun to increase.

Tired of trying—and failing—to meet the expectations of her parents and church mates, she stopped going to church. It was then that Jacqueline realised she had been holding on to the wrong idea of what it meant to raise a child. On her knees in tears and in desperate prayer, she heard the question being asked of her: “Are you raising a child for yourself, or are you raising the child that the Lord has given you? Do you recognise who she is—God’s design—or are you just trying to shape her into your image of a perfect child?”

God’s Original Design

If there was one lesson that Jacqueline learnt from this experience, it was this: Parents need to see their child as God’s original design.

    “As parents, we need to constantly go to God, the Designer of our child, and ask Him: Who is this child? What have You destined him or her to be?”

“We can’t judge them by our own standard, because God made everyone different,” says Jacqueline. “As Genesis 1:31 says, when God made man, He said it was ‘very good’. We have to look at our children the way God looks at them. They are not us, and they should not be us.” “As parents, we need to constantly go to God, the Designer of our child, and ask Him: Who is this child? What have You destined him or her to be?”

For Jacqueline, this truth took her to a point of humility. She realised that instead of depending on her own benchmarks, she now had to operate by God’s divine standards.  This meant helping her daughter not to think either too highly or lowly of herself, but to see herself in the light of how God had made her. “As parents, we shouldn’t overpraise or put our children down,” she says, “as that would be doing God’s design a disservice.”

Having spent more than 20 years running St. James’ Church Kindergarten, Jacqueline is well aware that this is not an easy task in competitive Singapore.  Even in spiritual matters, she adds, parents can inadvertently stress their kids to perform, whether it is to be spiritually mature, to know the Bible well, or to be the most articulate and active in Sunday School.

    “We need to be careful we don’t put a burden on our kids. They should not feel that they are less than who they are, that they do not measure up.”

“Singaporeans are generally over-achievers. In our quest, we are also high achievers spiritually. It’s not wrong to want our children to achieve, but what does it mean to achieve?” she asks rhetorically. “We need to be careful we don’t put a burden on our kids. They should not feel that they are less than who they are, that they do not measure up.”

When her daughter struggled with her Chinese lessons at secondary school, Jacqueline tried to put that into practice. She even tried not to worry about Grace’s ‘O’ levels. “In protest, Grace used to hand up a blank sheet for her Chinese tests,” she recalls with a laugh. “I knew deep down that if the Lord harnesses that will, she would hold steadfastly to Him. She was stubborn but I prayed that she would be stubborn for the Lord.”

Letting Go

God answered Jacqueline’s prayer.

After Grace went to university, she began to question and review her own beliefs and prejudices about Christianity. It started a long journey of self-reflection that eventually led her back to God.

Jacqueline can still remember the Skype conversation she had with her daughter. As she looked into Grace’s eyes, even before the young woman started to share about her encounter with God, Jacqueline knew something deep had changed spiritually.  Grace had come home to God, and to her parents. Today, Grace is a missionary who spends time in inaccessible countries sharing the Good News.

Grace appreciates her parents’ attempts to persuade her to return to God, but stresses that it was a journey she had to take on her own. “They tried to nag me into obedience,” she says. “But you have to choose to surrender; you can’t be scolded into it.” It’s something that Jacqueline has learnt on hindsight. Her mistake, she says, was not letting go. To let go of the tight reins and let her daughter grow up, and to let go of her daughter to God.

When she saw Grace beginning to rebel as she entered her teenage years, she recalls, she tightened the boundaries instead of loosening them, which only made it worse.

    To let go of the tight reins and let her daughter grow up, and to let go of her daughter to God.

Now, she realises that parenting is like flying a kite. “Sometimes you pull back, sometimes you let go,” she explains. “When they are young, you keep them near you. As they grow older, you let them fly higher. And if there are storms, sometimes you rein them in.”  But letting go of her daughter to God, says Jacqueline, was even harder.  It was a painful process, because it made her feel completely vulnerable. “You’re afraid your child would go wayward.

But at that age, you also know you can’t tie them to you,” she says. Realising that she had no control, that all her threats and persuasions were not having any effect, made her feel totally helpless. “I felt an utter failure as a parent. And that’s when I turned to God and said, ‘I can’t do this on my own. I need You to help and show me how to rescue my child’.”

    “I turned to God and said, ‘I can’t do this on my own. I need You to help and show me how to rescue my child’.”

Jacqueline still remembers her point of “complete surrender”. One day, she sat alone in her room and had what she called an “intense” conversation with God, and submitted her daughter to God.  She prayed, “God, I place my daughter on the altar. She’s yours. I trust her completely to You. Whatever You do, I trust You. I’m letting go. She’s Yours.”

Being a Steward

Letting go of Grace to God also reminded Jacqueline of this simple yet stark truth: Parents are stewards of their children.  “Our children are not ours, they’re on loan,” she says. “We don’t own them. Our role is to raise them, steward their lives for God, and give them back to Him.”

That’s why when Grace eventually returned to the fold, Jacqueline was doubly grateful. “I realised my child wasn’t mine to start with, so I’m thankful that He still shares her with me.” The experience has given Jacqueline a greater understanding of Abraham’s heart when God told him to sacrifice Isaac on the altar.

    “Our children are not ours, they’re on loan,” she says. “We don’t own them. Our role is to raise them, steward their lives for God, and give them back to Him.”

In a way, she had done this when she learnt to let go of Grace and ask God to take care of her. And just like how God gave Isaac back to Abraham, she also felt that God had given her daughter back to her.  This realisation reminded her of her role as a steward—and not the owner—of her child.  But, as much as Jacqueline had to learn to let go, she also learnt how to hang on to her daughter—spiritually.

In her intense conversation with God, she also had some firm words for the devil, she says. “I told the devil, ‘You can’t touch her. She’s not yours, she belongs to God. She’s our offspring and she’s under our covering. We claim our authority over her’.”

    “Parents must never give up. They must never say to their kids, ‘I give up on you.’”

Jacqueline believes that that was also a significant turning point in the spiritual realm. “I knew in my heart and spirit that if I gave up and took my hands off my daughter, she would be fair game for the devil.”  While she understands that it is tempting for a frustrated parent to tell their rebellious child, “I give up on you, you do whatever you want”, Jacqueline feels that telling her daughter this would have been a “big mistake”.

She knew that while she could not control what Grace did, she could still choose to pray and protect her daughter spiritually. “Parents must never give up,” she says emphatically. “They must never say to their kids, ‘I give up on you.’ We need to be careful with our words. As James 3:10 says, our mouths can both bless and curse.”

Keep Loving

One of the things that may have helped Jacqueline and her husband was their own lives and faith in God.

    “I knew that no matter what I did, I would always be welcomed back like the prodigal son… It assured me that they would not cut ties with me because of what I did, and that they would be there for me when I needed help.”

Even when Grace was questioning the Christian faith, she was still able to see some authenticity in how her parents’ lives revolved around God—even if they weren’t perfect.  And some of the things that her parents taught came back to mind when she was seeking God.

Jacqueline believes that this was the “deposited capital” that came from the spiritual truths that she and her husband had taught their daughter from young. Even though Grace had not seemed to respond at the time, says her mother, the Holy Spirit was able to activate those early words and teachings later in her life.

For Grace, however, there was something even more important: the assurance that her parents still loved her. “I knew that no matter what I did, I would always be welcomed back like the prodigal son,” she says. “It was very important to me. It assured me that they would not cut ties with me because of what I did, and that they would be there for me when I needed help.”

Hope for Parents

While it has been a long journey with her daughter, Jacqueline has come to see that no matter how far parents may fall short in their role, they can hold on to this comforting truth: God can redeem their parenting.

    “I wish I had nurtured my daughter more instead of all that screaming and nagging.”

Her close relationship with her daughter today shows her that despite all her own mistakes, God has given them a second chance. “Today, my relationship with my daughter is very close,” she says gratefully. “She tells me, ‘You are my best friend’.”

Grace, too, is more than able to laugh when she looks back at what has happened. “I was the only child, so they had no experience,” she chuckles.

She has personally experienced what it means to grow up—and to serve—according to God’s original design.  Her work is somewhat different from that of a “traditional” missionary, in that she is not based in a fixed place or church that reaches out to the local community—a ministry that fits her character and personality. 

“God continues to use me precisely in the way He has created me, which allows me to connect with ‘fringe’ communities and people that would never step foot in a typical church environment,” she says. Jacqueline occasionally has some “if only” thoughts over her journey of parenting, but holds out hope for all parents. “I wish I had nurtured my daughter more instead of all that screaming and nagging,” she says ruefully. “And maybe she wouldn’t have had to struggle so much if we had done better. But it’s never too late. God redeemed our relationship.”

Jacqueline’s Tips

    Accept and see your child as God’s original design.
    Learn to see your role as a steward in shaping your child’s God-given destiny.
    Affirm your child in the areas of his or her strength, but with humility.
    Allow your child to experience small setbacks and failures.
    Don’t impose your own baggage and hang-ups on your child.

    Model a godly life:
        Pray for your children
        Read God’s Word together
        Don’t be overbearing and preachy
        Don’t invoke judgment
        Bring God into every conversation in a natural way
        Be authentic, share your struggles with your kids
        Be loving and kind

*As Grace is a missionary, she has asked for her real name not to be used.

Leslie Koh spent more than 15 years as a journalist in The Straits Times before moving to Our Daily Bread Ministries. He’s found moving from bad news to good news most rewarding, and still believes that nothing reaches out to people better than a good, compelling story. He likes eating (a lot), travelling, running, editing, and writing.

-----------

'Sell Ozil & get Ziyech for half the price!' - Arsenal ignoring Ajax chief Overmars' transfer advice
[Goal.com]

Hakim Ziyech is “better than Mesut Ozil”, says Marc Overmars, but Arsenal have ignored the advice of a former star to offload a World Cup winner and raid Ajax for a player they could get for the half the price. Transfer talk continues to rage around German playmaker Ozil  in north London. Plenty of questions have been asked of his value to the Arsenal cause and his suitability to the system favoured by Gunners boss Unai Emery. Overmars, who once starred under Arsene Wenger in the Premier League, believes he has a solution to a transfer poser.

The Dutchman, who is currently director of football at Ajax, believes he is working with a player in Amsterdam who could prove to be a shrewd addition for Arsenal on a sporting and financial level. Overmars told Voetbal International of Ziyech, who contributed 21 goals and 24 assists to the Ajax cause last season:  “I am a bit surprised that it is still so quiet around Hakim. “I think he has played better every year and his statistics are exceptionally good.  “Many clubs are increasingly looking at that. They look more at the numbers than at what he shows and what is happening around him.

“I think Hakim Ziyech is better than Mesut Ozil. I would tell Arsenal: sell him and you will get Hakim for half the price. But they didn't listen to me. So it could just be that he stays with Ajax.” While surprised by the lack of interest being shown in Ziyech, a number of his Ajax team-mates are drawing admiring glances from afar. Matthijs de Ligt appears to be edging towards the exits, with the teenage defender seemingly set to link up with Serie A champions Juventus at the end of a long-running saga.

He has not formed part of Ajax’s pre-season tour plans as he closes on a big-money switch to Italy , with Overmars expecting a deal to be pushed through imminently. “The end is in sight,” he said. “It is still about bank guarantees, Ajax is always very strict about that. I hope it goes quickly now, but they will work it out. They are Italians.”

---------

SHOCK ARREST – ACT OF INTIMIDATION OR NOT, HAZIQ & 5 OTHERS ROUNDED UP
IN AZMIN GAY SEX VIDEO PROBE: A CASE OF ‘SHOOTING THE MESSENGER’?

PETALING JAYA – Police have arrested six individuals, including former Santubong PKR Youth chief Haziq Aziz. They were taken in at about 8.30pm on Sunday (July 14) for questioning in connection with investigations into a gay sex video targeting Economic Affairs Minister Mohamed Azmin Ali, sources said. They were brought to the Kuala Lumpur magistrate’s court on Monday to be remanded for six days.

--

Bukit Aman says too soon to tell if more will be arrested over viral sex video

PETALING JAYA: Bukit Aman says it is too soon to say if more people will be arrested in connection with viral sex video implicating a minister after confirming the arrests of former Santubong PKR Youth chief Haziq Abdullah Abdul Aziz and five others on Sunday (July 14) night. Bukit Aman CID director Comm Datuk Huzir Mohamed said the six were detained on Sunday night in multiple locations in the Klang Valley. ” We arrested them to assist with investigations under Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998,” he said when contacted Monday (July 15).

“We will see whether they need to be questioned or assist us in other aspects of the investigation,” Comm Huzir added. On Saturday (July 13), Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Abdul Hamid Bador had said that the police were closing in on the “alliance” behind the sex video implicating a minister. “We have made several arrests (of the people who spread the video) and some have been released. No (we don’t know who the mastermind is yet), but there are hints of an alliance behind it,” he had told reporters.

Abdul Hamid said the police were still working to complete its probe. “We are still waiting for lab results to determine the authenticity of the video. On the investigation itself, we have sent the investigation papers to the deputy public prosecutor twice. “Each time, it was sent back as further investigation was needed and the last time was on Thursday (July 11),” he had said. Haziq has confessed to being one of the two men in the video and alleged that the other person was Economic Affairs Minister Datuk Seri Azmin Ali He was first detained at KL International Airport on June 14 and the police set up the special task force led by Comm Huzir Mohamed to investigate the case three days later. – ANN