Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"Listen," I said, getting up to my feet slowly, pretending to check the cat clock that hung over the stove, "I need to get this kid home, it's getting late. Don't tell my parents I'm here, though. They'll freak." Oscar got to his feet too, looking surprised. Newt sprang to his feet and tugged on my arm, looking up at me innocently, but I could see that his mind was working new ways to torment me.

Eye for an eye, brat.

"Already? Man, why're you so secretive all of a sudden? If you're doin' somethin' dangerous, ya'll better tell me." He warned, but I smiled reassuringly, dropping a hand on Newt's head to mess up his hair as best I could. I felt him tense under my hand.

"I'm fine, Oscar. Really. Since when did you become my mother?" I asked with a smirk. Oscar frowned.

"Since you keep disappearin' on me." He answered, sounding like a sulking child. I smiled and held my hand out to him.

"I'm fine, Oscar, really." I assured, waiting for him to shake my hand. Oscar hesitated, then sighed and reluctantly took my hand and pulled me against him for a half hug before he led Newt and I to the front door. To avoid suspicions, I went the other way down the sidewalk, holding Newt's hand tightly in mine as we went down the street. I waited until I heard Oscar's front door shut, which surprised me because we were a good block down the street before Newt hissed at me, jerking his hand out of my grip to fix his messed up hair.

"You're an idiot," Newt stated, his voice sharp and scolding, making me frown, "We came here to hunt, not for you to avoid it. You're going to have to drink sooner or later."

"I'm not drinking from my best friend." I snapped in irritation, shoving my hands into the pockets of my jacket. Newt frowned, lowering his arms and snorting in disgust.

"You no longer need friends. You have your clan and that's all that matters." He responded bitterly, spitting on the ground and smacking his lips together as if he could still taste the hot chocolate in his mouth. I frowned, glancing at him as we walked around the block back to the woods.

"Whoever said that is a liar. Oscar's still my friend and after this whole stupid war thing is over, I'm going back to the way things were and I'm taking Alex with me." I retorted. Newt barked out a laugh that made me scowl and look down, surprised to see him glaring at the path ahead of them in a way that told me he was hiding something.

"You're childish. That's what I hate about teenagers. You think if you do something right, for yourself, everything will turn out to be just fine. Well, allow me to let you in on a little secret... It's never okay. You're never going to have a happily ever after with your pureblood and you'll never see the end of this war. That's like saying the war between humans over religion will end. It will not. So long as religion continues to exist, there will never be peace or harmony. So long as Vladimir exists, there will be no happily ever after. Even after he is gone, it'll just be a moment's rest. After that, it's a battle against the human race." He explained, walking ahead of me. I blinked, rushing to catch up to him, the sound of my sneakers beating the sidewalk behind Newt's gentle little pitter-patters.

"What're you talking about? You act like--"

"I'm running the operation? I am." Newt responded harshly, making me stop. He also stopped, turning sideways to give me a dirty look as I stared at him in disbelief.

"You? But, Kristophe--"

"Is my subordinate. The one in charge of Zephyra is me. The one in charge of the rebellion is me. I am the next dictator and unlike Vladimir, I will see to it that vampires take their rightful place in the world." He informed, holding his head up high and proud. Just like some little king and all of a sudden, Newt didn't look like a child anymore.