𝟬𝟬𝟭. the leaky cauldron

Start from the beginning

"Probably 'cause it's you, isn't it?" Ron shrugged, still chuckling. "Famous Harry Potter and all that. I'd hate to see what the Ministry'd do to me if I blew up an aunt. Mind you, they'd have to dig me up first, because Mum would've killed me. Anyway, you can ask Dad yourself this evening. We're staying at the Leaky Cauldron tonight too. So you can come to King's Cross with us tomorrow! Hermione's there as well."

Hermione nodded, beaming. "Mum and Dad dropped me off this morning with all my Hogwarts things. Jules, are you and your mum staying?"

"I can ask," she shrugged. "The house elf can surely apparate our things over, I packed most of my stuff anyways, and mum can owl me anything I forgot."

"Excellent!" Harry grinned. "So, have you lot got all your new books and stuff?"

"Look at this," Ron stated, pulling a long thin box out of a bag and opening it. "Brand-new wand. Fourteen inches, willow, containing one unicorn tail-hair. And we've got all our books," he added, pointing at a large bag under his chair. "What about those Monster Books, eh? The assistant nearly cried when we said we wanted two."

"Oh," Jules grimaced, thinking of her mum having to wrestle one of those into staying shut. "What's all that, Hermione?" she asked, pointing at not one but three bulging bags in the chair next to her.

"Well, I'm taking more new subjects than you, aren't I," Hermione explained. "Those are my books for Arithmancy, Care of Magical Creatures, Divination, the Study of Ancient Runes, Muggle Studies-"

"What are you doing Muggle Studies for?" Ron protested, rolling his eyes at Harry and Jules, who offered sheepish grins. "You're Muggleborn! Your mum and dad are Muggles! You already know all about Muggles!"

"But it'll be fascinating to study them from the wizarding point of view," Hermione earnestly said.

"Are you planning to eat or sleep at all this year, Hermione?" Harry asked, while Ron snickered.

"I've still got ten Galleons," she said, checking her purse. "It's my birthday in September, and Mum and Dad gave me some money to get myself an early birthday present."

"How about a nice book? Ron innocently teased, earning a slap from Jules.

"No, I don't think so," Hermione replied, oblivious to the joke. "I really want an owl. I mean, Harry's got Hedwig, Jules has Sable, you've got Errol-"

"I haven't," Ron protested. "Errol's a family owl. All I've got is Scabbers."

He pulled his pet rat out of his pocket. "And I want to get him checked over," he added, placing Scabbers on the table in front of them. "I don't think Egypt agreed with him."

Scabbers was looking thinner than usual, and there was a definite droop to his whiskers. Jules had never liked him much, he seemed to be terrified of her at all times.

"There's a magical creature shop just over there," Harry replied, "You could see if they've got anything for Scabbers, and Hermione can get her owl. Jules, you wrote about wanting a new collar for Juno, right?" he added, referencing the black cat that seemed to follow her everywhere.

They paid for their ice cream and crossed the street to the Magical Menagerie, Juliet struggling to cram the last of a cone of chocolate and raspberry into her mouth. She let the three of them head inside, and lingered outside, slipping a few sickles into Harry's hand to let him pick out a collar.

That was where Cordelia found her, Juliet still finishing her ice cream, which was beginning to melt and make her fingers sticky. "Ron, Harry and Hermione went inside," she explained. "Didn't realize that monster book would be so tricky, sorry about that."