An 80's Movie Apology

Start from the beginning

I was unable to finish my sentence as my voice cracked. "Y/N," she sighed. "Come on. This whole party is for you. Get yourself a drink and relax."

"You're right," I sighed, slipping my phone into my back pocket.

"Good!" She giggled. "Come on. Let's go dance."

I spent the rest of the night dancing, laughing, and drinking with my friends. Even though we were having fun, I couldn't help but think about Noah. I found myself constantly checking the door or my phone. I tried to reassure myself that at least he texted me happy birthday before he got on the plane and again when he got off.

By the end of the night, my friends had left and I was cleaning up the random cups around my house.

"I'm sorry," Taylor said. I turned around to see her standing in the doorway, watching me clean up.

"What are you sorry about? I had a great time. It was a fun party."

"I meant that I'm sorry Noah didn't show up. I know he promised. . ."

"It's fine, Taylor. He said he would try." My voice broke as I thought about my boyfriend not showing up to the party I didn't even want to have. "Besides, his flight got in really early this morning and he probably got home and passed out."

"Yeah," she smiled weakly. "I'm sure he has a great explanation and will make it up to you."

"Exactly," I tried to smile. She gave me a hug and wished me a happy birthday before heading home. I sighed as I finished cleaning the living room and headed upstairs to take a shower.

Once I got out, I had just gotten dressed when I suddenly heard music playing from outside my window.

Noah's POV

I woke up to my phone ringing. I checked to see it was around 11 o'clock before answering my phone. "Hello?" I answered, my voice still groggy from sleep.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" I cringed as Taylor, Y/N's best friend yelled at me.

"What do you mean?"

"What do I mean?" She scoffed. "I mean that you promised Y/N you'd come to her birthday party and you never showed. You know how she feels about celebrating her birthday and you didn't show up, Noah."

"Oh shit," I said as I sat up, suddenly wide awake.

"Yeah," she sighed. "Noah, Y/N really loves you, but you screwed up. Big time."

"What the hell am I going to do?" I panicked, running my hand through my hair. "How am I possibly supposed to make it up to her?"

"You need to Say Anything her."

"I need to what?"

"Say Anything," she sighed. "You know? One of Y/N's favorite old movies. How has she not made you watch it a million times? Then again, it is her breakup movie and you guys have been dating for three years."

"Three and a half," I mumbled.

"Anyway," she sighed, "after Diane and Lloyd have their falling out, he shows up to her house and plays her favorite song on a jukebox outside her window. You need to get a speaker, go to her house, and play her favorite song, which is. . ."

"Say You Won't Let Go by James Arthur," I finished.

"Good boy," she laughed. "Now, get your ass to her house and fix this. You should've seen her face, Noah. She was really hurt."

"I know," I sighed. "I can't believe I. . . I came home and just passed out."

"That's what she figured, but you should still go over there."

"I'm on my way," I cleared my throat. "Thanks, Taylor."

"Anytime," she laughed. "Just keep in mind that if you hurt my best friend again, I'll kick you in the balls."

"Noted."

* * * * *

I put my car in park, grabbed my phone and Bluetooth speaker, and ran around the side of Y/N's house. I looked up once I was under her window and took a deep breath as I turned on the speaker. I took another deep breath as I pushed play on my phone, James Arthur's voice starting to play. I held my phone and the speaker above my head, holding my breath as I waited for her to come out.

It didn't take long for Y/N's curtains to be pushed aside and her window to open. I smiled as she poked her head out, looking down at me.

"Noah? What are you doing here?"

"I'm sorry I didn't come to the party. I got home and barely made it to my room before passing out. I woke up when Taylor called me, yelling at me for being a dick and not showing up."

She looked down at me, a small smile forming on her lips. I put my phone in my back pocket and the speaker on the grass, the music still playing. "I'm so sorry, baby," I said looking back up at her. "I should've set an alarm or gone right to your house and slept on your bed so you could've woken me up or. . ."

I stopped talking when she ducked back into her room. I was just about to pull my phone out of my pocket and pause the music when I saw Y/N running around the corner. I smiled as she jumped into my arms, instantly wrapping her arms around my neck.

"I'm so sorry, baby." I sighed. "I can't believe I stood you up and. . ."

She pulled out of the hug and cupped my cheeks in her hands, quickly pressing her lips to mine. Our lips moved in sync as the song ended and started playing the next song on my playlist of Y/N's favorite songs.

She pulled away, a smile still on her face. "It's okay," she whispered.

"No, it's not," I sighed. "I love you, Y/N and I. . ."

She reached forward and covered my mouth, shutting me up. "I love you too," she said before pressing her lips to mine again. I wrapped my arms around her waist, pulling her closer to me as our lips continued moving against each other.

This time, I was the one who pulled away from the kiss. "Do you have plans for tomorrow?" I asked, making her laugh.

"Nope," she shrugged, still laughing slightly.

"Well, now you do," I smirked down at her as I tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. "I am going to spend the entire day making it up to you for forcing you to go through your birthday party alone. We will do whatever you want, spending literally all day together."

"I like that idea," she said as she tightened her arms around my neck. She bit her lip, her cheeks turning red. "We could," she cleared her throat, glancing at her window, "we could start right now."

"Now, I definitely like that idea." I leaned in and pressed my lips to hers. I pulled away with a smirk on my lips.

"Happy birthday, baby."