Are you a Dementor? Because you just took my breath away.

"Go to the dance with me."

Kat looked up from her homework and frowned. "Is that a request or a command?"

"C'mon, go with me." Sirius smirked.

"No."

"No?  Why not?"

"Because I don't want to. It's a stupid tradition."

"C'mon.  People won't expect you to go."

Kat's frown deepened and she turned away from him, getting angry.

"Why are you pushing this? What's in it for you?"

"Why would there be anything in this for me?"

Kat closed her eyes and sighed. "It's stupid but I heard some Gryffindor girls talking about how you and James always make bets. They said... I was just another bet and you'd be single in no time."

Sirius froze, unsure of what to say. "Oh."

"And?" Kat said, a lump rising in her throat.

"Kat I don't know what to say. I genuinely want to go to prom with you. I can't imagine dancing beside anyone else. You make my life better and- " Sirius ranted, pausing for breath. He really had gone soft. "I'm getting all mushy now. You know what I mean."

"That was actually pretty sweet." Kat smiled. "And fine."

"You'll go with me?"

"I'll go with you."

"That's my girl." Sirius grinned, making his hands into the shape of a heart. He wasn't lying, he justified to himself, he'd forgotten all about the dares he'd made with James at the beginning of the year. And he definitely didn't want to lose Kat. "See you there."

***

Bianca lay on the grass near the Black Lake staring at some birds when Kat approached her.

"You haven't been yourself lately." Kat looked at her with concern.

"Why is it that every guy likes me and I had 6 date offers last week, but I can't even get that one stupid guy I actually like to ask me out?"

"Listen I heard..."

"I don't wanna talk about it." Bianca interrupts.

Kat continued regardless. "Listen, I know you and Regulus haven't been getting along."

"Like you care."

"I do care. But I'm a firm believer in doing something for your own reasons, and not someone else's."

"Stop psycho-analyzing me. What does that even mean?" Bianca snapped. Kat sighed and sat down next to her.

"All I'm saying is you don't have to feel forced into a relationship just because all your friends are."

"Well, at least I have more than 2 friends." snapped Bianca. She patted Kat's arm apologetically. "You know, Marlene has this really amazing girlfriend that she's in love with. Though I guess they're fighting now, but they'll probably make up. And Lily has some secret boyfriend that she's smiling about all the time. You're really happy with Sirius, don't even deny it. James has apparently moved on according to Remus, who also has a girlfriend. And then there's Reggie, who starts liking someone else as soon as I decide I like him back. Everyone has someone and I just... don't."

"But you don't need a guy to be happy, Bia. You have amazing friends who love you. You're not fighting with your ex, so that's always good. And you know I'll be here for you whenever." Kat says giving her little sister a hug. "Did you even like Regulus anyways?"

"... I liked the attention. But I think we're better off as friends."

"Boys are stupid. In 3rd year, I got stood up by some stupid Slytherin as a joke. And 4th year we dated but he kept trying to get me to sleep with him. It was kind of horrible."

Bianca sits up, shocked. "Why didn't I hear about this? And why did you stay with him for so long?"

"Because he was, like, such a babe." Kat said and Bianca laughed. "Everyone else was dating. He told me he loved me and I fooled myself thinking I was in the wrong for not doing what he wanted so I stayed with him."

"I'm sorry, Kat." Bianca said, putting a comforting hand on Kat's shoulder.

"It was a terrible relationship that made me swear off guys for a while. After that, I promised my self I wouldn't do something just because everyone else is doing it."

"It's not that easy."

"It isn't. But don't force yourself to be with someone because you'll probably regret it. I waited. Then I found someone a whole lot better. And so will you."

"I hope so."

"Good things come to those who wait."

"That sounds like something mom would say."

***

As Kat walked into the dance, she was met with loud grating sound she wouldn't exactly consider music. She surveyed the crowded room, hoping to spot....

"Wow." a voice whispered behind her followed by a wolf whistle.

Giggling, she turned and faced Sirius. "You too."

With a quick flick of his wand and a muttered spell, he offered her a blue rose.

"Where'd you get a tux at the last minute?" Kat asked, accepting the flower.

"Oh, just something I had. You know, lying around. Where'd you get the dress?"

"Oh, just something I had. You know, lying around."

Sirius smiled and took her hand, leading her toward the dance floor.

"Listen. I'm really sorry that I questioned your motives. I was wrong." Kat said earnestly looking uo at him. Sirius sighed and looked away. His motives hadn't been pure at first. But did it matter now?

"You're forgiven." he said finally.

"Okay. Why are we headed to the dance floor?" Kat said in a panicky voice. "We're not dancing."

"Yes, ma'am." Sirius grinned and tugged her to the middle of the dance floor.

Sirius began swaying and moving in way that sort of resembled dancing. Noticing Kat's hesitance, he spun her around until she started laughing.

"I moved in with James." Sirius said suddenly. Kat stopped dancing and leaned into him thinking she heard him wrong.

"What?"

"You asked me what happened over the summer a while ago. It wasn't Azkaban, or a porn career, or anything exciting."

"No way." Kat responded in shock.

He smoothly dipped her as the song came to end.

"I think you're pretty cool. You know that?" Sirius said.

"Is that your way of saying you like me?"

"Is this better?" Sirius leaned in kissed her. Kat wouldn't ever admit it, but for a moment it felt like fireworks were going off.

 Kat wouldn't ever admit it, but for a moment it felt like fireworks were going off