Chapter Twelve | Glory Days

Start from the beginning

1,381,731 likes

1,381,731 likes

sussexroyal Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Sussex received a degree from the University of Kent, the school she quit to pursue music, when she was awarded an honorary doctorate.

Her Royal Highness was awarded an honorary Doctor of Arts degree at the university, where she enrolled for drama and theatre studies at its Canterbury campus in 2006. It was there that she met Starsmith, one of the producers with whom she made her chart-topping debut album, 'Lights'.

The Duchess of Sussex was in her final year of uni when she dropped out to pursue music in 2008.

The Duchess of Sussex was one of 13 people who received honorary degrees from Kent.

Dr Goulding!! 🎓 Congratulations to everyone who graduated today at Kent University x - Duchess of Sussex

View all 22,900 comments

347,900 likes

clarencehouse Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Sussex received a degree from the University of Kent, the school she quit to pursue music, when she was awarded an honorary doctorate. @sussexroyal

View all 1,900 comments

Harry and Ellie reveal Africa tour details including visit to Diana landmine site

Prince Harry will visit the African country where his mother Diana, Princess of Wales, famously walked through a landmine site to raise awareness of military munitions.

He and Ellie Goulding have now revealed details of their 10-day African tour later this month, their first official trip as a couple.

The pregnant Duchess will spend the duration in South Africa, while Harry will leave his family to tour Angola, Malawi and Botswana before being reunited with them in Johannesburg.

The visit to Angola will be an emotional occasion for Harry as Diana walked through a cleared landmine site in the country just months before her death.

An international treaty to ban the military weapons was signed in late 1997 after she died in a Paris car crash.

Prince Harry is due to visit a former minefield near Dirico and remotely detonate a munition.

Sam Cohen, the duke's private secretary, said: 'In a particularly significant and poignant journey, the Duke of Sussex will have the opportunity to return to Angola to see first-hand the legacy of his mother the late Diana, Princess of Wales, whose visit to Huambo in 1997 helped raise awareness of the threat posed by landmines to communities and livelihoods.

'The work of the late princess, and commitment to this issue, changed global opinion.'

The duke and duchess will visit Africa from September 23 to October 2.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex celebrates the fifth anniversary of the Invictus Games at The Guildhall

Prince Harry appeared in high spirits as he made an impassioned speech at the fifth anniversary of the Invictus Games in London last night.

Dressed to impress, the Duke of Sussex, 34, donned a smart blue suit with a green tie, while sporting an Invictus Games badge on his lapel.

While his better half, the Duchess of Sussex, 32, was impeccably dressed in a long-sleeved pink gown that fell to the floor, her baby bump accentuated by a belt.

The reception, of which the father-of-one was the guest of honour, was at the Guildhall in the City of London.

In an emotional speech, Harry said it had been 'genuinely one of the greatest honours of my life' to work with the inspirational servicemen and women behind his Invictus Games.

In the off-the-cuff speech at a reception to celebrate the 5th anniversary of the competition, the royal paid tribute to past and future competitors, describing them as 'my heroes'.

In his speech Harry said: 'Wow, what a huge amount has happened in five years.

'The one thing that hasn't happened is limbs haven't grown back. But one thing I can assure you is that mental health has completely changed with every single one of these individuals.

'We always knew that it was going to be great for the competitors and their families but that ripple effect that literally swept across the globe was quite astonishing.'

He added: 'These guys have completely changed how we view disability, how we view mental health. This is all them. We merely created a platform in order for them to shine and it's genuinely been one of the greatest honours of my life to get to know all you guys and to see you through this process.

'We've had some laughs, we've had some tears, and I can't ever thank you enough for the impact that you have had across the world, to be able to create better understanding for those people who put the uniform on. '

Former competitor JJ Chalmers, who was injured in a bomb blast in Afghanistan in 2011, while serving as a Royal Marine, and has gone on to become a father and television presenter, said he owed everything to Invictus.

'Harry has kept us a going every step of the way,' he said.

In turn Dominic Reid, chief executive of the Invictus Games Foundation, described Harry as 'the beating heart of Invictus'.

'He's driven this, he is responsible for this. It's him that always drags us back to what this is about: the competitors, their recovery and their families,' he said.

-

The Duchess of Sussex Visits to Smart Works in London

The Duchess of Sussex stepped out for a visit to Smart Works in London this week.

Ellie is the royal patron of Smart Works, which supports vulnerable and unemployed women to return to work.

According to royal expert Omid Scobie, the charity has seen incredible growth since the duchess came onboard in January.

The stylish royal opted for a workwear inspired wardrobe with a knit navy dress, boucle jacket and a pair of navy heels Kate Middleton would approve of.

Ellie's visit to Smart Works this week celebrates the charity's incredible work and extended reach, helping even more women in the process.