Two Peas in a Pod

Joe and Dot left for bed after the game of snap and my husband and I were left in the living room on our own. "I like Joe," Mark told me once he finished watching Andrew and Mel's vlog. "I think he's good for our Dot." I agreed. Not secretly.

"How do you think Joe Sugg compares with ThatcherJoe?" I looked sideways at him and I could see Mark was considering my question seriously.

"I don't see much of a difference, really. Particularly in his... what do you call them? Blogs?"

"Vlogs."

"Yeah, that. How about you? What do you reckon?" He put his hand over mine on the sofa and stroked his thumb over my knuckles. I took his hand and gave it a squeeze in response.

"I agree. I don't think there's a deceitful bone in his body."

"Mmm," he agreed. "I think all our kids have chosen well."

"You were very quiet today. Are you feeling alright?" I kissed his hand.

"Yeah. You know me. Man of few words." I felt his forehead. I don't know what I was expecting, but he was fine. "Alright, fine," he continued. "It just feels like I have a sore throat."

"How? It's been good weather. I bet it was from that—"

He chuckled and said, "Stop fussing. Let's just go to bed. I'll be better in the morning."

"Where's the honey?" I found a squeezy bottle, squeezed it onto a teaspoon and stuck it in Mark's mouth. Unlike my daughter, I put everything away and washed up. "So if Joseph asks for your blessing, would you give it?" He nearly choked on his own saliva.

"He's already said that's a long way off, so don't go getting your hopes up. Besides, I don't know if he's the type of guy to do that."

"Still, if he were and he did, would you give him your blessing?"

"Definitely. In a heartbeat." He smiled. "He makes Dot happy."

"They're like two peas in a pod, aren't they?"

"When they're not apart from each other, they are."

"Even if they are apart, they still FaceTime each other just before they go to bed. Remember those vlogs?" Mark nodded and smiled wistfully.

"You can see how much they love each other, can't you?" I nodded and yawned.

"It feels different this time. As if we're really losing her."

"Yeah. Not the same as when she left home."

When we got near Joe and Dot's room, we heard Joe say, "Don't think I'm going to help you. You're the one that created this mess." We both laughed to ourselves and exchanged a glance that said, He's a keeper.