Competing For His Attention

"Noah?"

I was struggling to get my key out of the lock with my arms full of groceries. "I could use a little help with these." I waited for a response but got nothing.

"Noah? You here?"

When I still hadn't gotten a response, I walked into the kitchen and plopped the grocery bags on the counter. "Hello?" I called out, my annoyance building.

I looked over to see his keys on the counter and his shoes under one of the bar stools. "Noah?" I tried again. I sighed as I headed upstairs, the sound of my feet echoing in the empty hallway.

I stopped in our bedroom doorway and folded my arms across my chest when I saw Noah sitting in our bed. I sighed as I noticed our new puppy, Arlow, cuddled up in his arms. A smile formed on my lips as Noah made faces at him.

I held in my laughter, not wanting to draw attention to myself just yet. I had to cover my mouth when I heard him whisper, "You were never second best." He let out a small laugh when Arlow licked his chin.

I finally broke when Noah leaned down and gave him a kiss. He looked up, his smile widening when he saw me in the doorway. "Did you not hear me calling your name, asking for help?"

He looked down at Arlow and back up at me, an innocent smile on his face. "Sorry. I got a little distracted."

"Clearly," I laughed as I walked over and sat next to them on the bed. Arlow climbed out of Noah's arms and walked across towards me.

"Traitor," Noah mumbled as Arlow crawled into my lap. I scratched his head as he laid down, resting his head on my knee. I looked up when I felt Noah climb behind me and rest his chin on my shoulder, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"I missed you today," he whispered.

"Now you know how I feel when you're away filming," I laughed. 

"That's not fair," he pouted. We sat in silence, just enjoying each other's company. I smiled when I felt Noah lean down and press a kiss to the exposed skin on my shoulder.

"I love this," he said softly.

"The silence?" I joked.

"No," he elongated, playfully tickling me. "I meant, sitting here, together. It's moments like these that make filming so hard. Almost not worth it."

"Don't say that," I said quickly as I looked at him over my shoulder. "You love your job. Sure the distance is hard, but you love what you do and I love watching the end product."

"You're right," he sighed as he snuggled closer into my back. I let out a soft moan as he kissed my neck. "Maybe," he started, but didn't finish.

"Maybe what?"

"Maybe you and Arlow can come visit me next time," he said more like a question.

"I know Arlow would like that," I said, sending him a smirk.