| THE SUN AND THE MOON

Start from the beginning

"Maybe both of you need a little space for now.", James suggested, not really wanting to see Caroline blow her fuse.

"But I just got back, we've had space for months.", he paused then narrowed his eyes," Who exactly are you?"

"I'm James Kingsley, who really wishes that he wasn't here right now.", his voice got quieter on the last few words and he averted his gaze to the floor.

Caroline took in a deep breath. She wouldn't explode; she wouldn't, no matter how much she wanted to. Gilbert seemed to have grown up so much in the time he was gone but she still felt exactly the same. She had always been angry, ever since she was little. It had only taken the smallest bit of teasing from a boy or girl and Caroline was nearly uncontrollable. Her father once referred to her as a fire, raging yet still beautiful.

Then Caroline remembered what her brother had been like. Calm, polite and respectful were often the words associated with Gilbert Blythe. He was creative and passionate, always coming up with new ideas to help someone. Even in their childhood, he was always the first to make sure someone was alright but she would be right behind him.

She'd always been behind him.

But, Caroline had grown up too. It turns out, that growing up meant becoming a little more like her brother.

"You can go home, James.", she said, looking up at him with a smile and even though he knew it was fake, it did make him feel a bit better.

"What about you?", James asked, taking his hand off of hers when he noticed her loose palms.

"I'm already home.", she smiled.

Caroline waves goodbye to James as he closed the door. He waited for a minute just in case she started breaking anything then slowly retreated back to his house. Now, all he had to worry about was explaining to Oliver where he'd been for the past half hour. Gilbert looked over at Bash and motioned for him to stand up. Bash held out his hand for Caroline to shake and she did without hesitation.

As their hands separated, she looked over at her brother, "I don't forgive you."

"What?", he stuttered, "But, Care, you're smiling now and you let Bash-"

"I didn't smile at you and I do not know Bash. What kind of a person would I be if I didn't give him a chance just because of you?"

"Care, I don't know what you want me to do. I came home and I'm here now. I'm here.", he reached out to her, setting his hands on her shoulders and he almost flinched at how tense she was.

"Promise me that you aren't going to leave me again.", her voice was shaky and she hated herself for it.

Gilbert said nothing. He couldn't lie to her, she would know it as soon as he spoke. However, at this moment, Caroline probably would've preferred the lie. She sighed and bowed her head to Bash, wishing him a good day but she had nothing else to say to Gilbert. Actually, she had plenty of things left to say to him. Caroline wanted to tell him about the boarders, about Jerry, about the Kingsley's and their father, and about Anne.

She sat on her bed, feet bouncing on the wooden floor. Caroline was lonely and bored. She knew that her friends would probably be at their homes now but she only wanted to see one of them. Ruby would want to be with her too. So, as quietly as she could, Caroline slipped on her coat, scarf, and hat. She lifted her window up and jumped into the snow, closing it tightly behind her.