"Oh you think you're so funny, don't you?" Murphy asked Katherine, shoving the knife half an inch closer to her neck. His sidekick looked at him hesitatingly, as if he wasn't sure what they were doing was correct. Not that he had enough of a backbone to actually stand up to Murphy, Katherine thought. 

"No, Murphy, I actually think you're hilarious," Katherine replied. Even though the stress tingles were spreading through her body once again and her throat felt like sandpaper, she still managed to look at Murphy as if he was the biggest joke in the universe. She did know for sure he was the biggest waste of breath and space in the universe, but it didn't seem wise to say that to him. "You made my day with that message."

"Katherine, just don't provoke him any further," Wells muttered, not amused with the situation they were currently in. He turned towards Murphy, his face grave. "Just leave her alone, Murphy, so we can go looking for water."

"Katherine," Murphy repeated, seemingly testing the way her name sounded. "A fitting name for a witch like you."

"Well, Murphy, you don't only look like a frog, but you actually sound like one as well," Katherine bit back. Without a moment of hesitation, she smacked with her left hand Murphy's right hand holding the sharp knife away. Instantly she stepped next to Wells, out of Murphy's reach. "Waste of breath is what you are."

Before the fight could escalate any further, Bellamy decided to join in. He looked from the knife in Murphy's hand to Katherine, who managed to muster one last venomous glance. "Everything going alright here?"

"Perfectly fine," Katherine replied shortly. She gave Wells a quick nod and stuck her hands in her pockets. "We were actually just leaving, so if you don't fancy joining us, please do excuse us." 

Not waiting for an answer, Katherine roughly walked past Bellamy, not appreciating his leader-like behaviour in any shape or form. After a moment of hesitation, Wells followed her, looking suspiciously at Bellamy, whose eyes followed Katherine's bird-like figure intensively. Even though his ankle hurt badly, Wells didn't have any troubles keeping up. 

"I just can't wrap my head around the fact that people can be that stupid," Katherine muttered softly to herself, shaking her head. She felt like talking to one of the trees might deliver more result than trying to let Murphy grasp anything, and she hated that feeling. On the Ark, most people believed the substantiated things she said, but here, down on Earth, she seemed just another kid trying and failing to get her way. 

"Not all of us can be as genius as you are," Wells replied, a friendly smile covering his face. 

"I'm not a genius," Katherine denied. Looking intensively at the plants around her, she ran a hand down her long and dark hair. On the way she found some terrible tangles, causing her to let out an irritable sigh. "I just try to do as much as I can with the brain capacity I have."

"And the fact that you're very good at that makes you a genius," Wells retorted teasingly. He gave Katherine a small shove, just hard enough to make her look up. "Doesn't it?"

"Theoretically yes,  practically not necessarily," Katherine replied. She didn't like compliments, especially the receiving end of it. She didn't know what to do with it, other than awkwardly smile and nod. It had been like that ever since she was young enough to understand that people praised her for her intelligence. "Now please just try to look for plants with a green sphere on the stem. On the green sphere, there will be a yellow, sun- or flowerlike shape."

"Whatever you say," Wells replied, giving an unofficial salute. 

Katherine rolled her eyes, not bothering to give a reply. She noticed that Wells was quite a bit more fun and less serious now than he was around Clarke. Katherine didn't know the history between the two of them, but it didn't sound like a fun one. All she could remember from her lessons with them is that they always sat next to each other. Now, not anymore it seemed.