My Summer Job in Hell Part 2

Chapter Two

I knew the job fair was at 8:00 a.m. I mean, seriously who has a summer job fair at eight o'clock in the morning on a Saturday? Franklin Regional High School, that's who. My plan was to get there early, scope out all the jobs, then pick two of three of the easiest ones and hope for the best.

I set my alarm. I know I did. I don't know why it didn't go off. When the first glimmer of consciousness pierced my sleeping brain at 10:30 a.m. my first thought was, "It's so light out." Then I woke up and thought, "Shit!" I threw on the clothes I was wearing yesterday, conveniently lying crumpled up next to my bed, and ran out the door as fast as I could. The job fair only lasted until 11:00 a.m.

By the time I got there, the gym was nearly deserted. The only people left were the faculty monitors and the last of the job fair employers, who were throwing applications and poster board into folders and making a beeline for the exit. Mrs. Hinson and Mr. Clark were sucking on paper cups of cold coffee, waiting impatiently for the job fair to end so they could go about the rest of their weekend. They looked at me with derision. I know what they were thinking, that I was a screw up who couldn't even show up to a job fair on time. It was sort of true, but there was no reason to be so judgmental about it.

I glanced out the windows of the gym and saw my friend Josh outside so I went to join him. It was a beautiful day in mid-May, one of the first really nice days we had had so far. It had been a rainy, cold, and depressing spring. But today was gorgeous. The sun was shining, bathing everyone in warmth and happiness. Birds were singing, flowers were cautiously poking their heads up through the sandy soil. A few clumps of students were standing around enjoying the weather, talking about whatever awesome opportunity that had undoubtedly just unfolded before them.

"Hey." I said, without enthusiasm.

"Hey, where were you?" Josh said. "The job fair's mostly over."

"I know that. I think I accidentally set my alarm for 7 p.m. instead of 7 a.m."

"Bummer. Well, don't despair. You can always go directly to the job sites."

"Yeah, I guess. How 'bout you? Did you get a job?"

"Yup. Computer Tech hired me on the spot." He flashed someone's business card and grinned.

"Of course you did." I said, if a bit sourly. Josh is brilliant. No matter what problem someone is having with a computer, he can always figure it out. Every time. It's simultaneously both really annoying and really convenient.

Just then, my cell phone pinged with a text message from my Mom. "How was the job fair?" I winced. Should I just tell her I slept through it? Just for a second I thought maybe it won't be so bad, hanging out with Maddie all summer. But then I remembered my $400 debt and I imagined the lecture I was in for when they found out I used their credit card for video games. Not to mention what a schmuck I was for missing the job fair in the first place.

My fingers hovered over my cell phone. "Great!" I texted back. Hopefully she wouldn't ask me too many follow up questions. Thankfully, my phone remained silent.

Glumly I stood and wondered what to do with myself. I needed a job. I needed a job, so I could pay my debt and then get a car. I needed a car so I could get a hot girlfriend, because what hot girl dates a guy with no car?

Josh's Mom pulled up just then, so Josh nodded at me and said, "Don't sweat it. You'll find something."

"Yeah. I know." I said, even though I was picturing myself spooning strained peas into Maddie's mouth and being single for the rest of my life. I waved half-heartedly and watched them drive away.