005; oh brother

November 1, 1984

The next day, as lunch rolled around, I found myself sitting in the quietest corner of the school library doing some extra credit for English. I took a big gulp of my ice water and wrote down another answer. I listened to the library door open and close, plus footsteps in my direction. Steve "The Hair" Harrington sat down on a bean bag next to me and pulled out a small bouquet of yellow roses.

I looked at them and raised my eyebrow high. "I'm sorry for hitting you with my car last night....?" He apologized, hoping I'd take the flowers. "I asked your brother what your favorite flowers were so I could hopefully make a semi-decent apology.... Sorry if it's weird of cheesy."

"No, it's fine, thanks," I gladly took the roses and set them down next to me. I put my English work away and pulled up my lunch onto my lap. "Where's your lunch?" I asked Steve.

"Right here, one sec," he pulled out a bag from his backpack and emptied it into his lap.

We ate lunch there together and talked the entire hour away. We found our taste in music was similar, and we had both watched some if the same movies, though neither of us have seen very many. I helped him reorganize his college essay and fix some spelling, grammar, and punctuation mistakes.

"Why are you helping me with this?" Steve asked me. I looked at him confused as we threw away our trash in a hallway trash can. "I mean, I'm an asshole, I hit you with my car, I'm hated by practically everyone in the school-"

"Listen to yourself, Harrington," I interrupted. "You're talking yourself down. What's got you lile this? I thought you were the King of Hawkins High School. What happened?"

"Oh great, you know about that nickname," Steve rolled his eyes as we walked down the empty hallway to his locker. "It's because of that new kid from California, Billy Hargrove, or whatever. He just came in here and took over the school in a day. And now that I've got someone on my level, everyone's siding with the cool, out of state new guy."

"Do you see me siding with that douchebag?" I questioned, earning a smile from Steve. "Hell no. The guys a dick, but I'm pretty sure that's only because he doesn't have one otherwise." Steve burst out laughing, and I joined him.

"Oh my god, Remmington," Steve laughed. He had on a huge smile as he grabbed his math textbook. "That was probably the best thing I've ever heard!"

I smiled. "What can I say, I've learned some things in the past year," I shrugged and kept smiling. The bell rang and other juniors and seniors flooded the hallway. "See ya in Calculus." I started to walk away to get to Economics early.

"Oh hey," I turned back around. "Any chance I can get your number?" I smiled and pulled a pen out of my backpack. I grabbed Steve's arm and scribbled down my phone number with my left hand (because I'm a lefty). "Thanks, Morrie. Call you later for Chem homework?"

"In your dreams, Harrington," I smiled and walked away, leaving the smile plastered on my face.

> later >

"So, you and Steve hang out now? What's up with that?" Jonathan asked as we pulled up in front of the house after school.

"What?" I asked, wondering how he knew Steve and I were having lunch together and becoming friends.

"Don't act dumb, Remmington," Jonathan said with a goofy look. "I saw you two talking in the hallway after lunch, you know."

"So, what, are you stalking me now?" I asked slightly defensively.

"Jeez, calm down Remm, I'm just curious, that's all," Jonathan replied. "And it's not a big deal anyways, I'm just glad you've got a friend besides Dustin."

"What's wrong with Dustin?" I asked.

"Nothing's wrong with Dustin," Jonathan held his hands up in surrender. "I meant that I'm glad you have multiple friends now. Just be careful with Steve, alright? I've always known him as a player. Okay? Just be careful."

"Why do always try to sound older than me when everyone knows you're not?" I smacked his arm playfully and got out of the car. "I'm gonna run over to Dusty's to get my share of the Halloween candy, so I'll be back."

"Alright, just don't get hit by any more Steve's, okay?" We both laughed and Jonathan took my backpack in the house. I hopped on my bike, careful to not irritate my wrist, then rode off and away to Dusty's house. When I arrived, I skidded my bike to a halt and threw it on the driveway. I ran up to the door and knocked.

Mrs. Henderson opened the door, holding her cats, Mews. "Hi Mrs. Henderson," I said politely. "Is Dustin here?"

"I'm afraid not, he hasn't gotten home from school yet," she answered. I earned a meow from the cat.

"Alright, thank you," I said, walking back over to my bike.

"Be safe, hun," Mrs. Henderson waved to me, and I waved back, then she closed the door. Something was up. Dustin was always home before me. I got on my bike again and sped off towards the middle school.

I pedaled as fast as I could to get there, and when I did, I dropped my bike next to the rack and ran inside. I booked it for the A/V room, where they'd usually be, only to find the door wide open and the room empty. I jogged down towards the gym, only to find a girl standing by the door. She had on a flannel shirt and her hair was short and curly. I knew her. I swear I've never seen her before in my life since I arrived in Hawkins, but I knew her from before then.

"Eleven?" I asked, earning her attention easily. I knew her number. 011. She was with me at one point. I knew her. I knew her. She took off running and I did nothing to stop her, only take a half step towards where she was.

I look out past her spot and see Will through the glass on the door. He's standing in the field. I run outside and slow down when I see him completely pale, as if he'd seen a ghost. He's having another episode.

"Will!" I shouted, running across the field to him. When I got to him, I grabbed hold of his shoulders and tried shaking him awake. "WILL!!"

"Will!" I heard another voice. Mike ran outside too, clearly having been searching for my brother. "What's going on, Remmington?" Mike asked me.

"He's having another episode," I told him quickly. "Where's our mother?"

"I don't know-"

"Will!" I heard Joyce yell as she ran across the field with Lucas, Max, and Dustin.

"Ma, he's having an episode," I explained. I pulled Mike away from Will to let Joyce handle this. "Guys step back. Step back!" I pushed all four of the smaller teens away from my mom and my brother so she could wake him up out of his trance.

"Will? Will! Wake up, sweety. It's mom," Joyce was clearly panicking. "Will. Will, wake up. Can you hear me? Will, please, wake up. Please, wake up! Honey, it's me. Wake up. Will!"

Will snapped out of his trance and fell into Joyce, who held him up and brought him back onto his feet. He stumbled forward, so I lifted him up off the ground. "Mom, I'll get him to the car. Dusty, run up and throw his bike in the back." Dustin nodded and ran to the parking lot. I followed after him, but slower as I carried my half conscious little brother. I heard Joyce crying beside me. "Mom, it's gonna be okay. He's gonna be fine. It's gotta get worse before it gets better, right? So I promise you, it's going to get better."

At least that's what I had to tell her to keep her sane.