for stealing

first chapter is hella angsty or whatever but I try to give background about the character so it's just a butt load of angst.

also, i recommend you read the introduction. enjoy:)
-

I walk swiftly down the aisle, candy bar in my back pocket. Such an easy take at places like this.

I walk out the doors into the parking lot and take a seat at the back of the parking lot on the curb.

Harper texts me telling me mom won't be home tonight and she'll get dinner. I tell her not to worry about me. Instead, she ignores my message and worries about me.

I rub my head exhausted. Maybe I should go to school tomorrow?

I've already missed the first week. They've called home a million times but who would be there to pick up. Mom works 24/7 to keep us alive and Harper is doing her best to pay off loans and hopefully one day be able to afford to not live in her mothers house.

I lean back against a tree and look around, listening to the city.

I'm tired. I really don't want to go to school. What's even the point? I'm not going to post secondary and I really can't see myself doing anything other then becoming some junkie.

Who knows who mom screwed to make the happy, mature girl that is Harper.

See, mom is sweet. She's exhausted all the time. She's trying her best for a woman who has seen a lot of things and has no motivation to live.

I sound like the cliché sketch kid that's in the background of every movie but this is how things are.

My phone starts to ring. I wait a moment to pick it up.

"Yes?"

"Reid," Harper starts in a tone that means no good. "The school called. They're worried about you."

I don't want to talk. Sometimes it just hits me like a truck and I'm just have a sudden tiredness. I don't want to live my arm to hang up nor do I bother to answer so I just let my phone rest on speaker on my lap.

"Hello?" She repeats several times before hanging up.

Lately things have been a little tougher because I have nothing to look forward to. I have no goals. I have nothing to work for.

So I just sit like a lump, thinking about how pathetic I am. How even though I wasn't born into the most fortunate of situations, I still had the chance to work hard and get out of it. But I just can't. With no push and no motivation, I can't get anywhere.

So I do nothing and hate myself and say all I have to do is get up and try but I just can't. I can't get up right now. It's like I'm paralyzed and nothing matters so I just sit in silence and observe my surroundings.

I'm lying. Harper cares. She cares enough to force me to try and get better. She doesn't understand but she tries. To her I'm lazy but I just don't care. Apathetic, really.

It's exhausting even though I don't do anything. I also hate the idea of being a burden. Nobody will ever want to put up with me. I'm too much work.