Aramis wasn't one to worry about Cosette, but now that he knew who she was, he was starting to. It got even worse when Aramis saw the whole note that Cardinal's messanger sent, it was terrible:

Monsieur Aramis:

I have your Cosette.

If you, Captain Treville, and Porthos wish for d'Artagnan to remain safe, as well as her secret, you will bring Gallagher's letter to the old seminary at Le Place Mon Pere. Failure to comply, her secret will be revealed to the King himself.

- Cardinal Richelieu

Aramis now began worrying. At least he thought Athos was deceased when he was found "dead" in an alley. The thing Milady should have seen was D'Artagnan blaming them for Athos' death. Now, he did not know that her secret would be involved too.

"Aramis?" Porthos and Athos said.

"The Cardinal's got d'Artagnan. He will hand him over in exchange for Gallagher's letter," was all Aramis said. He and Porthos went to find Captain Treville.

"That wasn't what the note said, did it?" Porthos asked. Aramis looked to his friend. "I know you, Aramis You only have the look in your face if someone is in danger."

"I will tell you after we see Captain Treville," Aramis said.

"Gallagher's letter, in exchange for D'Artagnan's secret," Treville said. Porthos and Aramis were in the Captain's office, showing him the letter.

"Yes, the secret is that d'Artagnan is a woman, Captain," Aramis said. However, they saw Treville showed no reaction.

"You knew?" Porthos realized. "how long?" Treville still showed no reaction

"You knew this whole time?" Aramis asked.

"Of course I did," Treville answered. "You didn't think I wouldn't recognize my own goddaughter?"

"How come you didn't tell us?" asked Porthos.

"To protect her like her father did," Treville said.

"After all this time, you could have stopped her from putting herself in danger," Aramis shouted.

"Aramis, Porthos, I'm sorry we withheld it from you. But she told me she would tell you on her own time."

"Yes, and now, she is in danger," Porthos said. "The Cardinal knows who she is. He'll make an example of her. Reveal her to the King and have her executed. This was not part of the plan!"

"Yes, but we still will get a confession," "said Treville. "Now, let us go rescue Cosette and get that confession, shall we?"

Porthos and Aramis did not dare to argue with their Captain. They all went to the Le Mon Pere, where Red Guards were waiting. Queen Anne decided to learn and help them. She revealed that Cosette told her when they were on the run for her life. She'd help them save Cosette and the pain of her secret being revealed to her husband. It was wrong, but she owed it to the young woman.

Treville stayed behind with the Queen as Porthos and Aramis appeared to the Cardinal.

Meanwhile, Cosette knew this was not supposed to happen. They were supposed to go a whole different direction than this. When she saw her brothers, she smiled.

"Porthos! Aramis!" Cosette shouted. She tried going forward but the Red Guards halted.

"Cosette," said Aramis. "Are you alright?"

"Yes," she answered and begged, "Help me."

Porthos and Aramis gave her concerned looks.

"Entertaining as this is, perhaps we should get to business," said the Cardinal. "Did you really think I wouldn't discover who she is or the fact that Athos isn't really dead.

"Look, we don't care about that anymore," said Porthos.

"We have what you want, Your Eminence," said Aramis. He showed the parchment. "Now, please, let the girl go."

"Not until you give me the letter, then you can have Cosette, with her secret remaining in tact."said the Cardinal. Aramis held it out. However, Porthos was having none of that.

"You'd murder the Queen, just to see one of your favourites on the throne?" Porthos asked as he stopped Richelieu from grabbing for the piece of paper. "Hm? Haven't you got enough power already?"

"This was never about power," said the Cardinal. He went to take the letter from Porthos but Aramis snatched it before he could.

"Of course it was," said Aramis "You simply wanted your own puppet at the King's right hand."

"You understand nothing," said the Cardinal, irritated.

"Why don't you explain it to us, then?" Porthos asked.

"He can't speak because he's too ashamed," said Aramis.

"The Queen is barren," said the Cardinal. "If the King dies without an heir, France will be plunged back into civil war. Is one woman's life worth sacrificing to avoid such a catastrophe? I think it is. I ordered her death because I alone will face the truths that no-one else can stomach. Give me that letter." He snatched the letter then smiled when he saw it was blank. "How very cunning. You tricked me."

"Into making a full confession, yes," said Aramis.

"You foolishly did so," said the Cardinal. "And in doing so, you've doomed your companion. The King will know of her treachery."

Cosette was panicking. He was going to tell the king because he never really did get Gallagher's letter.

"And what use is your confession? The word of a lowly Musketeer against the First Minister of France? Who do you think the King will believe?"

"The King might not believe their word, Cardinal, but he will most certainly believe mine," said the Queen. All the guards and Musketeers bowed down to the Queen, as did the Cardinal. The Queen approached him coolly.

"Look into my face, Cardinal... the face of the woman you tried to kill," said the Queen. He did nothing but look and began begging.

"Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy. What I did, I did solely for the interests of France."

"It is only because I believe you are sincere in your devotion to the country... that I have decided to spare your life. France needs you and the King loves you. Your treachery would break his heart. If you ever fail in your duty again... I will not be so lenient. My influence with the King is stronger than you can possibly imagine. You have been warned... Cardinal."

She looked to Cosette then to Richelieu.

"And I trust you nor your guards will reveal this young woman's secret," Anne said. Cardinal acknowledged that he wouldn't nor would his red guards. He looked at them.

"Release her," Richelieu hissed. The red Guards complied, in which Cosette sighed in relieve and went to get brothers. They hugged her, both mindful of her wound.

"You are incomplete without Athos," said Richelieu.

"Well yes, but we could always make new friends," Porthos said.

"And to be honest, he was a little moody," Aramis said.

"And one more thing: we want Milady," said Cosette.

"She too has to account for her crimes," Treville said.

"She's yours. She's of no further use to me," Richelieu scoffed.