Writing Prompt #2

Tumblr writing prompt posted by @thependragonwritersguild

Warnings: None.

***

"Wait," I scanned the sheet of paper again. The smell of fresh ink and the lingering warmth searing my hands a testament of how quickly I read through the paper's contents. It hadn't even begun to cool. "This is the list of events that will trigger the apocalypse? This," I pinned the paper to the table with a strained index finger. "Right here. All of this." I made some grand circular motion with my hands.

"Yeah," the man answered, the barest hint of a smile on his lips.

"But all of these things already happened... like thirty years ago..." I looked from the man's unchanging visage to the paper and back again.

The man's brows shot up, "Like I said..."

The broken windows of our temporary shelter reflected the flickering flames ever-present outside. The entire sky was a hot glow of orange; the clouds were black now. Acid rain pitted the dead ground.

So... this wasn't normal?

"...It's Apocalypse Now."

There was silence for a moment. I studied the sheet in my hands again before I chewed my lip and bent over to turn off our electricity. We needed to conserve it after all. The generator went quiet with a relieved shudder. All I could hear now were the distance howls of both men and beast.

"Well," I scratched my cheek.

"...Actually, it's more like Apocalypse Then—"

"Stop watching movies. You're wasting power."

The man's eye twitched, "As I was saying, it's more like Apocalypse Then because technically the apocalypse is over."

My brows furrowed, "The apocalypse is over? I don't get it. Who won then?" My eyes flicked over to the bible on the floor. It's cover was charred and bent. I mused, "There's a winner for these kinds of things, isn't there?"

Humanity is clearly alive; thriving even... Heaven? I concluded, confused.

The man's lips curled up, "Who do you think?"

It's all fire and brimstone out there.

***

A/N: Is it weird I have a Tumblr account but don't want to complete the prompt fills there?

.

.

.