6

God, I want her to be mine in every way possible. I need to show her that despite my start in life, despite the cards that I was dealt, I’m a good man.

The absolute best man for her.

I get the delivery completed and hand the post-op over to a nurse.

“Where is she?” I ask frantically as I step out into the hallway and see another nurse.

“You’ve got—“

I raise my hand, stopping her. “Is there anything that’s absolutely, no exaggeration, life or death right now or in the next thirty minutes?”

“No, but—“

“Where’s Delaney?”

“The girl with the three Samoyeds?”

I want to tell her she’s not a girl anymore. She’s a woman, my woman, but I don’t want to waste another second. “Yes. Where is she?”

“Room three.”

Usain Bolt has nothing on me as I’m at the door in record time, throwing my shoulder into it as I storm through, blown away by what I see on the patient table.

Delaney

What’s that old saying? In like a lion, out like a lamb.

Well, Donovan completely whiffed on the whole lamb thing.

The lamb is me, and a lion just burst into the room and is ready to feast.

Larry, Curly, and Moe roll around on my lap as my eyes jerk to the door, taking in the sight of him.

What did that lady at the animal adoption clinic say about him? “…underneath those perfect pecs of his I think there lies a heart of gold.”

Well my heart is racing as his chest muscles ripple underneath a super light blue, almost gray, perforated polo shirt. I guess they don’t make smocks that fit a man with an incredible V-shape like his.

Even without the smock he sure looks professional, and my thoughts are anything but.

He’s big enough to start with, but with me sitting he literally towers over me, blocking the entirety of the door. I’d have to lean at least eighteen inches to either side to get a glimpse around him and catch sight of anything in the hallway.

My cheeks heat, my panties moisten, as my eyes scan his form.

His hair is a dark brown, and short like a soldier on the sides. And as I work my way across those thick shoulders and down past what is surely washboard abs it’s not hard to see that this soldier is at the ready, standing at attention.

Suddenly the thoughts I’ve always had where I tell him how I really feel and he either laughs at me or lets me down easy, out of respect for my dad, crumble like a paper bag.

He’s at least feeling something physical between us. That’s obvious…very obvious.

“Delaney.” The sound of my name coming from his lips in such a matter of fact tone has my spine flexing straight as a board. Just the way it rolls off his tongue sounds like leather tipped in hot steel yet somehow dripping of caramel from one of those spindle things. Metal and sweets? Those don’t mix, but neither do fire and water and right now I’m a five alarm fireand I need someone to douse me before I burn up.

His hands form fists as he stares at me, his eyes narrowing as his brows knit.

He leans towards me ever so slightly from the waist, his torso inching closer while his feet seem to be stuck in quicksand.

I stick my neck out and swallow hard, not trusting my voice right now. I’ve been preparing my entire life for a moment where he would recognize me in this way. I need to say something but when I go to open my mouth the words don’t come out.

He must think I’m just gawking at his masculinity, and those thick biceps of his sure could come in handy right now to pick my jaw up off the floor.

Suddenly his head tips back and his eyes rake over me before settling back on my eyes. The look of the lion hasn’t left him. If anything he resembles more of a caveman right now…like he wants to grab me by my blond locks, throw me over his shoulder and beat anything in-between here and his cave with a club.

But I know he’s not the kind of man who just wants sex. The man’s easily the most eligible in town, if not the state. Women are lining up to get close to him, but from what I’ve seen and from what my dad says he never gives them any indication or hope they have a chance. Polite but dismissive when he needs to be.

There’s something else on his mind, or maybe someone. I want to be that someone. I want to be his only.

I want him to paint my womb with his seed and put a baby inside me. I want to wake up every morning to him kissing my stomach and telling me how excited he is to be the father of our child. I want him to get more and more possessive of me as I grow bigger and bigger…because he knows it’s not just me he’s watching out for anymore.