Veronica lifted one of her hands from her lap and placed it above Klaus', sending him a small smile.

Klaus' eyes softened at the gesture.

"You know, my siblings used to tell each other she didn't hate us–she hated herself for what we've become. I think they believed that even after she tried to kill us all."

"Is that what you believed as well?"

"I don't know. I just wanted her dead."

"Change of plans," Elijah said, hurrying into the room, "Marcel's witch is being held captive in the Quarter."

Klaus' hand slid out from under Veronica's as he stood up, "Oh, perfect. Mother's a step ahead, as usual."

"I can go help her."

"I thought you were done with fighting," Klaus said.

"I am, but I can help the witch while you guys stay here and distract Esther."

"I don't like this whatso–"

"Brother," Elijah shot him a look, "We need the witch."

Klaus sighed, digging into his pocket and pulling out the necklace.

"A disciple of Marcel's was instructed to fetch another ingredient. Ask for Gia." Elijah spoke as Veronica grabbed the necklace.

☄. *. ⋆

After getting the witch, Lenore, out of the cemetery, Lenore led Veronica to her shop in order to spell the necklace.

"So, will this take long?"

"You want me to soul-brand the resurrected spirit of a thousand-year-old witch? It's best if I take my time and do it right." The witch scoffed.

Veronica nodded, ignoring the tone. She understood the woman hadn't had the best of days and wasn't going to judge her feelings.

Lenore watched as Veronica looked around the shop, feeling out of place. She sighed, "For what it's worth, I'm sorry. No one should ever have to lose a child."

Veronica muttered a small thanks. She pulled out the necklace and handed it over to the witch.

"So, how does this work? You brand Esther with the spell, and then what?"

"The next time she jumps into a body, she'll be marked with a distinctive symbol on the back of her hand," Lenore explained, pulling the python out of the bag. "This way, you'll always know who she is."

"We still don't know why she's here. When Esther held you captive, did she give you any idea why she's doing all this?"

Lenore gave a small smile, "Love."

Veronica tilted her head, "I'm sorry, love?"

"What besides love can inspire such pain and cruelty? And Esther? Her love is very, very strong." The witch spoke, before chanting, "Aux sa ah ça le vous de le vous l'inspir non do set."

After a few chants, Lenore fell forward, leaning onto the cauldron. Veronica ran over, helping the woman stand straight.

"What happened? Are you okay?"

"Yes."

"Are you s–"

Veronica couldn't finish her sentence as she looked down at the witch's shaking hands. Noticing the newly formed mark, Veronica slowly backed away.

"Esther."

Esther smiled, "It's so lovely to finally meet you. Tell me, do my sons ever acknowledge the good you bring into their lives? After all, it was you who gave them hope."

She walked forward as Veronica walked back.

"The promise of a child shows us all the possibilities of a future that could be. Children are meant to save us from the worst parts of who we are. A truth that makes my own circumstances all the more tragic, wouldn't you say?"

Veronica swallowed, "I don't pity you, Esther."

Esther shook her head softly, "You know, it's a terrible thing for a mother to fail her child. As you well know. But now, I offer you freedom. The gift of a new body. Freedom from being a hybrid."

Veronica could feel her stomach drop. Of course, she could never switch bodies, but she'd be lying if she said she hadn't ever thought about not being a vampire.

"I have the ability to return to you all that you have lost, Veronica. To make it so that you could have a family of your own. More children of your own. You wouldn't have bloodlust or the whispers in your head anymore. I know you've been hearing them and they've gotten louder. Imagine not having to hear them anymore. Wouldn't that be nice?"

Before Veronica could reply, Klaus and Elijah stormed into the store.

"I can see you had the misfortune of meeting my mother." Klaus bitterly spoke, looking Veronica up and down to see if she was alright.

Esther smiled at her sons, "Veronica is free to go. She's heard my offer."

Veronica looked between Klaus and Elijah, their eyes both signaling for her to leave.

Not wanting to hang around a second longer, she took advantage of her vampire speed and returned to the compound. Despite desperately wanting to return to her apartment, she assumed the brothers would want to speak to her.

☄. *. ⋆

Veronica was right. After she returned to the compound, Klaus and Elijah showed up shortly after.

They had gotten her caught up with the details from dinner–including the return of Finn and Kol. While they were able to describe Finn's new body, they had no clue who Kol was taking over. Unbeknownst to Veronica, she had already met him.

"What else did our mother tell you," Elijah asked Veronica.

She shrugged, "She just told me the same thing she told you guys. The reasoning behind why she's doing this."

Klaus shook his head, "Do not lie, Veronica. We know she offered you something."

Veronica hesitated, to which Elijah narrowed his eyes.

"She offered you a new body, didn't she?"

When she only looked up and didn't reply, Klaus let out a laugh.

"You cannot seriously be thinking about it."

"Do you blame me?" Veronica whipped her head towards him, "I'm a vampire, Klaus. Do you really think I wanted this?"

"She is a liar and you are a coward."

"Screw you!"

"Hey," Elijah yelled, stepping between the two of them. "Enough. Leave her alone, Niklaus."

"You cannot seriously be defending her–"

"I said enough."

Klaus shook his head, giving Veronica a final glare before speeding out of the room.

Elijah turned to Veronica, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Are you alright?"

She nodded, "I wasn't actually going to take her offer."

"I know, it's a tempting offer. Niklaus is just..."

Veronica snorted, "Trust me, Elijah, I know."

He removed his hand, "You should head home. If you hear anything from my mother or Finn, let me know."

Veronica nodded, sending him a small smile before going back to her apartment.