brunette

I was at the hair salon when a barista (obviously one because she smelled like caramel coffee and had Starbucks printed on her face) walked into the salon. She was tired, she was upset. And...I could tell this was going to be an interesting day out.

I watched her cautiously as the stylist behind me fussed over my head. I was getting my hair curled for prom. The woman fell into an empty chair, ignoring the line of confused and tired-looking patrons. She held her head back into the sink thingy. One of the men waiting in line complained to the head stylist who was just as confused as everyone else was, the stylist speaking quick Spanish.

"What's going on?" I asked Brenda. She took one of my rollers out, a bobby pin in her mouth. "Who knows, hun. Let's just get my shift over with and get you done with before that crazy bitch decides to shoot this place up."

I hummed in agreement, wary of the moody barista and the other customers in line. Right now, three chairs were open, but everyone was dealing with the woman who refused to get up. Just my luck for something to happen today.

Luckily, Brenda finished and we both rushed out. Brenda and I were actually decent friends, so after we hurriedly left the salon's lot, we decided to catch a movie. After a 15-minute drive, Brenda went ahead inside to pay for our tickets while I fixed my makeup. By now it was nearly midnight, not the best time for movies, but it was a safe part of town.

I was putting on my eyeliner when I heard someone knock on my window. I nearly pissed myself, but then I realized that it was just Brenda. I sighed to myself and rolled the window down. I gave her a grateful smile as she showed me our tickets. I had told my mom to pick me up after the movies to go dress shopping. The best time to shop was when all of the new shipments came in. I stepped out of the car and right before we headed to the entrance, Brenda pointed to a note in my windshield wipers.

I rolled my eyes, "Probably a scam. Watch my back while I throw it away, I'm not trying to get hurt." I pulled the slip up with my already done nails that were covered in emerald rocks with rainbow polish underneath. I threw the slip of paper done as I was shocked. It was my prom date and the woman from the salon.

"What the actual fuck, Brenda? Look at this."

Brenda turned towards me and pulled a photo from her pocket. It was of her father and me. "You're going to die a whore."

A flicker of flame shot across my eyes before my head was falling into the shade of two oak trees and nearly flat tires. I was done for it.