Chapter 2: Matriarch

"But you promised." Hermione faced Draco, her face pleading and desperate.

"Something came up," he replied, not looking up from the notes he was reviewing. "It's about the case I've been working on with Potter and Bones."

"It's your Christmas vacation," she pouted and stood behind the leather chair he was sitting on.

Draco finally looked up and sent her a silly smile. "Crime doesn't take vacations, Hermione." She snorted in response but inwardly agreed.

On Christmas Eve, the couple decided to order Chinese and sit in front of the telly. They had just finished watching Elf, with Home Alone coming up next, when Hermione got bored and switched the channel. Draco only mildly protested. A flash of yellow caught Hermione's attention and she chanced upon the only station not playing Christmas movies. It was then she decided that Draco needed to watch Clueless, a masterpiece. She expressed her desire to own Cher's famed yellow plaid number but never got around to finding it. Unfortunately, they both fell asleep just as Cher and Josh were confessing their feelings. She woke up on the bed and found Draco's hunched form in the office next to the bedroom.

If Hermione was being honest, the sight of Draco with ink-stained fingers and scattered paperwork made heat creep up her belly. Thinking of a different approach, she went around and settled herself on Draco's lap. Forced to stop working, he groaned and leaned his head against her silk-covered back.

He lightly bit the area between her shoulder blades, wetting the clothing as well as her skin. "Don't start something you can't finish, Granger." He warned, and when she kept silent he added.

"I know what you're doing," he mumbled and placed a hand on her thigh. Hermione let her nightgown ride up just as Draco rubbed the area of her exposed skin.

Wiggling her bottom, she asked innocently, "Doing what?"

Reddening when she felt a growing hardness underneath her, Hermione turned around and faced Draco's pained expression. She took his face with both hands and forced him to look at her.

"Can you really not accompany me?" She tried again, one hand drifting across his chest and voice lowered to a whisper. Seduction for Dummies really came in handy.

"I'm sorry, love," he stopped to take a breath but his eyes never left her mouth, "but there's been new developments and this case hits too close to home."

Hermione pursed her lips and stared deep into his eyes. Finally conceding, she gave him a searing kiss and stood up.

"Only because I know how important this is to you." She called out before moving to leave the room.

Just as she closed the door, she heard him say. "Ah, a cold shower is underway then."

Hermione couldn't help but snicker.

-

Friday came and Hermione just about finished packing her suitcase. She was zipping it up when her mobile phone rang from its position on the bed. She picked it up and was pleasantly surprised at the person calling her.

"Narcissa, hi..." She smiled and sat on the floor.

"Hello? Can you hear me?" The woman asked, then a rustling sound. "Hermione darling, hi!"

"How are you?" Hermione asked, "we haven't had tea in a while." She sighed, admittedly missing the woman.

"I told him that I would only see you both if engaged," Narcissa answered testily, "and I see no ring on your finger."

"You were serious about that?" Hermione laughed.

A year into the relationship, Hermione met the esteemed Narcissa Malfoy. After the war, she recovered her husband's remains and kept a low profile. She redirected her grief and thrown herself into work, becoming the head of Malfoy Industries and breaking Pureblood stereotypes. Traditionally, the position of president was to be given to the eldest male child. But Narcissa knew that Draco wasn't ready at the time and he had his heart set out to become an Auror. So she took the reigns and even surprised the entirety of Wizarding London when she expanded to dealing with muggle companies. Now, there are about twenty hotels and restaurants associated with the Malfoy name around the world. Most of them in deliberate locations set up with the ministers of different countries, serving as portkey locations and apparition points for international affairs. Muggles were none the wiser.

Just minutes before meeting Narcissa, Hermione felt like fainting. She was standing in the lobby of the Crux, one of the more popular places owned by the Malfoy family. Although situated strategically in muggle London, Hermione could imagine magic circling around her. She looked at at the imposing stained glass archway, up the elaborate French columns, and finally to the third floor where she was going to have dinner with the matriarch.

She always knew that Narcissa valued family, being present when the woman reconnected with her estranged sister Andromeda and grandson Teddy. She also knew that she was ruthless when it came to Draco's love interests. After meeting her though, Hermione realized that underneath Narcissa's sharpness and icy guise was a protective mother looking out for her son. Hermione made her intentions with Draco clear, chin up and balled up fist on the table. Narcissa laughed at her then, a sound that resembled the tinkling of bells, and said that she liked her. After that dinner, they made it a habit to see each other at least once a week. It was only when Narcissa brought up their engagement, or lack thereof, that it was broken.

"I'm not getting younger, my dear. Who else would be planning your wedding?" Hermione was brought back to the present by her voice. "I will make it to be nothing short of perfect."

Her heart swelled at Narcissa's words and she could clearly see her frustrations. But it didn't matter whether she married Draco tomorrow, if not at all. Hermione will stand by his side until the day he decides he didn't want her anymore, although she hoped it didn't come to that. She was well and truly smitten.

Narcissa cleared her throat and spoke again, "The reason that I called is about your family affair, Draco mentioned it in his last letter."

"Oh, did he? I'm actually packing right now." Hermione replied, toeing the shag carpet underneath her.

"Well I heard it's happening at the Crux..."

Hermione's brow furrowed, "yes."

"Oh, wonderful then! I will set a meeting there with a client. You don't mind if I pop in later, do you?" Narcissa asked brightly, the tone of her voice not taking no for an answer.

Hermione didn't dare challenge the woman, whatever she was planning was already in the works. And she really didn't mind seeing her after so many weeks, she was company that Hermione needed since Draco won't be around.

"Not at all, Narcissa." She finally replied. They bid each other farewell then ended the call.

Hermione stood up and reached for her wand on the bedside table. With a single flick, the suitcase before her shrunk into the size of a coin. She dropped it inside the pocket of her chiffon dress, reaching underneath to secure her wand on the holster around her thigh. She patted the material down and with an echoing crack, Apparated to the Crux.

~

Finally, right?! Here's the next chapter for you lovelies, so sorry it took a long time. I made a few changes to the first chapter and hit a block on this one. Buuuuut, plus points for finishing/posting at 4:20am? lol

Vote and comment, please! It would mean the world to me ♥️ Much love!