(33) Memory Flood

Start from the beginning

"Do you speak English?" The Banshee looked up to the man curiously, she couldn't deny he was quite attractive. "Yes."

"What is your name?" Valerie dusted off her hands standing up "Valerie." Bucky nodded "I'm Bucky." Valerie nodded her finger grazing over his metal arm. "I know." Bucky didn't pay attention to her strange behavior. "Is there any way out of here, Valerie?"

"No." Valerie shook her head plopping down onto the ground with a dejected expression. "I've tried every way possible." Bucky sat down across from Valerie. "Why have you lost hope?" Valerie looked around "They took everything from me. There's no point in trying to get out anymore."

Bucky took Valerie's hand in his causing her to look up. "I swear to you, Ms. Johnson, I will get you out of here." Valerie smiled softly "Don't make promises you can't keep, Mr. Barnes."

Valerie shivered when the scene shifted again.

"So, what exactly do you do?" Valerie shrugged, her, and Bucky had told each other just about everything. He knew all about Vanya, and she knew all about Steve. "I get my brain fried, and then I kill people, just like you."

"Yeah, but Zola said you had powers." Valerie traced a V in the dust on the ground. "I can melt people's brain with my voice." Bucky's eyebrows scrunched together. "Supersonic screams." She explained, and Bucky nodded. "I bet that's a real headache when you have nightmares."

"I don't know. I can't remember if I've ever had a nightmare before."

Once again, Valerie found herself in a different memory.

HYDRA guards shoved her into her cell, and she whimpered falling to the ground. Valerie quickly pulled her knees to her chest. "Come on, Val, come on. My name is Valerie Johnson. I'm from Houston,Texas."

"You had a best friend, her name was Vanya." Valerie nodded to Bucky. "My best friend's name was Vanya." This time it was Bucky's turn to nod "You were a nurse during World War 2."

"I was a nurse during World War 2." Valerie repeated to herself. "My name is Valerie Johnson. I'm from Houston, Texas. I had a best friend named Vanya, and I was a nurse during World War 2." Bucky smiled "Again."

For some reason, HYDRA had taken both of Valerie's, and Bucky's memory of his past, but let at least him remember hers. It was a way to torture Bucky really, HYDRA wanted the two to get close. "My name is Valerie Johnson. I'm from Houston, Texas. My best friend's name was Vanya. I was a nurse during World War 2."

For the last time, her memory changed.

Valerie's cell door was thrown open, her mind completely blank after her mission from hours before. "Komm her. (Come here.)" Valerie stood up following after the guard, and he shoved her into a room. Where Bucky was standing with his back turned to her.

"Ruf ihn an (Call him.)"

"Bucky." Valerie stood next to  the HYDRA guard, and the Winter Soldier turned to her with cold eyes. "Wecke ihn auf. (Wake him up.)" Valerie kept her focus on Bucky. "Ich weiB nicht wie (I don't know how.)"

"Schrei sienan Namen (scream his name.)"

Valerie launched forward with a supersonic scream, and Bucky jumped up. The Banshee sat there with tears streaming down her face. "What happened?!"

"My memories came back. I remember-I had a best friend. Her name was Vanya. She was my best friend, Bucky. HYDRA murdered her. Then they made me- they made me a killer." Bucky cupped Valerie's cheek, forcing her to look at him.

"Your not a killer, Val." The Banshee shook her head looking away again, "Yes I am. I've spent this whole time trying to prove that I was a hero because deep down I always knew I was a monster." Once again, Bucky used his only hand to make Valerie look at him.

"You're not a monster. You're Valerie Johnson, the love of my life, Vierra's best friend. You're Sam's ex jogging buddy. You're Natasha's sister." They weren't actually sisters, but when Valerie joined The Avengers, Natasha was the only one who actually understood Valerie's past.

"You saved New York from destruction by Loki, and you saved the Sokovians from Ultron. You used to sing Vierra to sleep in German, but you didn't know how you knew the language, and when Thor fell asleep, you'd braid his hair." Valerie laughed with a sniffle "How'd you figure out about all of that?"

"I asked... a lot."  Valerie smiled, and Bucky took her hand showing the Banshee her engagement ring. It was only two weeks until their wedding. "And soon, you will no longer be Valerie Johnson, you will be Valerie Barnes, and we'll have a family, and everything will be good for once in our lives." Valerie smiled sadly. "Don't make promises you can't keep, Mr. Barnes."

"What happened when I helped you escape? Do you remember that?" Valerie shrugged "I haven't remembered that yet, but the doctors said my memories will fully come back eventually." Bucky nodded "An-And, do you remember that phrase Vierra, and I use? I got it from my old friend Vanya."

"I know."

"What?" Bucky chuckled "Shuri told me that since your memory was swiped it was only 13% possible for you to come up with a phrase like that on your own, so it was most likely a memory." This time, it was Valerie's turn to nod. "I can't wait till our wedding, Val."

"And me neither, Mr. Barnes."