(20) Lost Lover

ᴇʟᴇᴍᴇɴᴛᴀʟ

✸✸✸

(This one is also about Valerie)
BUCHAREST

"You stand guard, and let me know if anyone come, I'll head up." Valerie nodded, watching the front door of the hotel with studious eyes. Steve went upstairs. "Heads up, Cap. German special forces coming in from the South."

"Understood, Val, you can come up here now." Valerie gulped hurrying to the doors before any of the officers could notice. "You're Steve." Valerie could hear from a staircase down, "I read about you in a museum."

"I know you're nervous. You have plenty of reason to be, but your lying."

"I wasn't in Vienna. I don't do that anymore." Valerie gulped "The people who think you did are coming in here now. They're not planning on taking you alive."

"That's smart, good strategy." Valerie pushed the door open "Their on the roof." Bucky's eyes widened at the sight of his lost lover, "Valerie?" He whispered softly.

"You remember her?"

"I don't understand how are you here?" Valerie faked a smile "Look, Bucky, I really have a lot of explaining to do, but for right now there are people here trying to kill you."

"I know, Steve told me."

"This doesn't have to end a fight, Buck." Bucky pulled off his glove "It always ends in a fight." Valerie shook her head swiftly "Bucky, look at me." He did as instructed, and Valerie stepped closer to him. "Why did they let you remember me?" She didn't mean to blurt that part out, and Bucky's eyebrows furrowed at the question.

"They used you to punish me. Wait... do you not remember me?" Valerie gulped taking a step back, and shaking her head just as grenades were thrown into the windows. Steve blocked them easily with his shield.

Gunshots came into the room, and Bucky used his old mattress to protect himself, and Valerie. "Val, whatever you do, don't scream."

"Why?"

"This place is too weak you'd bring it down with us." Valerie meant to reply, but officers broke through the door, and windows. Bucky quickly knocked one to the ground, and Valerie kicked the rug out from underneath the other, throwing the officer's shots off.

A man threw the door open, and Steve kicked him back just in time for Bucky to punch him until the officer was unconscious. "Buck, Stop!" Valerie had at least four guards fighting to get past her, but even without her scream, she was doing pretty well off.

"You're gonna kill someone." Bucky pushed him to the ground, and punched a hole in the ground, Steve just narrowly missing the shot. Bucky grabbed a black backpack from the hole before tossing it out of the window. "I'm not gonna kill anyone."

Valerie ignored Steve's instructions, and screamed hoping no damage would be caused by the action. She defeated the men she was fighting, but more came, and she directed her vocal energy towards them.

Steve used his shield to protect him, and Bucky, when the said man shoved his friend into one of the other guards. Another officer shot at him, and he used his metal arm to deflect the bullets as he got closer. He grabbed a cement block from the ground, and knocked it into the guard.

Three shots came from the door, and Bucky punched through it. Valerie lost sight of him attacking the guards "Val, stay with him." Valerie stopped what she was doing, and head butted the guy in front of her knocking him to the ground. "Aye, Aye Captain."

She headed out of the room to find Bucky fighting officers from a few floors below. She couldn't handle the anticipation, so she grabbed onto one of the handlebars, and jumped down swinging her body into the man Bucky was fighting.

He smiled softly at Valerie, but the moment was cut short by more men attacking them. Steve jumped behind Val just as Bucky threw a man over the railing. Steve caught the officer before looking at Bucky "Come on."

Bucky jumped down more levels with Valerie in close pursuit. "Stay with him, Val."

"What do you think I've been doing?" She exclaimed panting heavily. Bucky ran jumping through a doorway, and onto the roof of the building next to his apartment complex "What is he doing?" She gulped before beginning to run, so she could get a good headway.

Valerie's legs jumped onto the railing of the building, and she pushed off with all of her might narrowly landing on the roof of the building next to them. "Bucky, WAIT!" The Winter Soldier did stop spinning around to look at Valerie. "Come with me. You may not remember, but I made a promise of us running away together, we can start fresh. No more Winter Soldier, and no more Banshee. We could have a family, just like you always wanted."

Valerie sighed, the offer did sound nice, and she may not fully remember Bucky, but she knew she loved him, and he wanted a family. Sure, he was no knight in shining armor, but he did have a shiny arm, if that counts for anything. A man in a black cat suit jumped over them pulling Valerie from her absurd thoughts on actually going with Bucky. Even if she loved him, she couldn't leave her friends, she couldn't leave Vierra.

Claws poked out from the man's fingertips, and Bucky stepped in front of Valerie protectively, but she deflected, instead stepping in front of him. "Bucky, Run!" The man with the metal arm hesitated "Run!" He eventually obliged his mind racing from the memories of when he helped Valerie to escape.

Every move Valerie did, the cat blocked easily. She looked back to Bucky who was at least twenty feet away before thrusting her hands out. The cat backed up confused by her actions before she screamed.

The Black Panther writhed in place clutching its ears, Valerie hadn't noticed it inching closer. The man sent a swift punch to her temple, knocking her to the ground. She tried to keep her eyes open, but soon, darkness surrounded her.

"Bucky?" The man smiled causing Valerie to laugh. "What are you laughing at?"

"What are you smiling at?" Valerie retorted sheepishly. "You. I love you Valerie, but I need to you to wake up."

The last few words didn't sound like Bucky, and Valerie could feel herself being slapped on the cheek. Her eyes fluttered open, and Steve blew out a heavy sigh of relief. "Are you okay?" Valerie nodded, and Steve momentarily glanced back looking to see how far Bucky had gotten.

"Alright, Sam's gonna come pick you up, and take you back to our room." Valerie shook her head stubbornly pushing herself off of the ground.

"Sorry, Cap, but you said to stay with Bucky." Valerie darted away, jumping off the building with not thoughts. The cat, and Bucky weren't very far in front of her, but she stopped when a helicopter began to shoot at them.

Bucky jumped into the highway, and Valerie shook her head spinning around to look at Steve. "Valerie, don't!"  Valerie spiraled as she jumped down landing on her back with a loud thud, she tumbled for a moment for gaining her balance, and chasing after them.