part 2: romantic dinners

i softly knock on the door, waiting for a response from yuta.
when i don't hear his voice right away, i clear my throat before speaking up.
"can i come in?"

it takes a few moments for him to answer.

"sure..."

the door creaks open louder than intended, making me cringe.
all the lights were off in his room, only his laptop offering some time of illumination.
yuta was sat criss-cross on his bed, his feet hidden under the laptop.

"dinner's almost ready," i said to him. "just thought i'd let you know."

"okay. i'll be there in a minute."

"okay..."
i stood there for a few moments before leaving the unbearable awkward atmosphere.
i shut the door behind me, heaving a listless sigh.

———

"is it good?"
he didn't answer just yet, still chewing his food.

"yeah, it's good. did you try a new recipe?"

for reasons unknown to me, i was glad that he noticed. "i did actually."

"it's just... it tastes a lot different than the last time you made this..."

"which one do you prefer?"

"i mean... it doesn't matter to me. whatever you make is good anyway."

i softly chuckled at his response.
"you're exaggerating." i insist.

"no, for real though," he pushed. "gordon ramsay is shaking in his boots."

that time i let out a laugh, and so did he. it was nice to joke around like this. the atmosphere at home was so tense for so long. and i hoped this was a step away from such an environment.

well...i hoped.