Chapter 18

Clary released a heavy sigh as she shut her bedroom door, leaning against it. She closed her eyes, feeling utterly drained.

Her mind filtered through the days events, groaning when she finally came to her breakdown.

She slid down to the floor, bracing her arms against her knee's as she fisted her hair.

Stupid, so so stupid. She thought bitterly. Way to go, Clary.

She groaned again, letting her head fall back against the door.

She dragged a tired hand over her face, regretting her brilliant idea of a 'tour' that she'd happily provided to the group.

Maybe if I stay in here for the rest of their stay, they'll forget all about-

"Hey, Clary?" A voice sounded through the door, followed by a knock. Clary jumped, hastily getting up from the floor.

She reached for the handle, then realised how quick and strange her actions would have been if she'd opened the door on the spot.
She slowed her actions for a few seconds until finally, she opened the door.

Jace stood there, leaning against the door frame as he peered down at her.

Clary squashed down the blush threatening to set her cheeks aflame, setting her jaw as she stared back up at him.

He frowned slightly, tilting his head to the side. "You okay?" He asked, scanning her face.

Clary braced herself against her door, blinking rapidly as she looked everywhere except at him.

"Honestly Jace, not right now, I don't want to talk- I really just want to be alone-" Clary began, already closing the door.

"Wait, wait, wait!" Jace exclaimed, holding the door open easily. Clary cursed herself for not having any upper body strength, sighing as the door swung back open.

Jace looked over his shoulder, into the hallway before turning to face her again. "Can we talk?" He asked, staring deep into her eyes.

Clary blinked, taken aback before nodding quickly. "I- uh... yeah, okay. S-sure." She stepped aside, allowing him to walk in.

She stood awkwardly by the door as he stepped inside, closing it behind him.

When he didn't say anything, Clary turned around to see him looking at her room- or more importantly, the drawings that decorated her walls.

"Did you draw these?" He asked, fingers delicately touching the paper, inspecting the drawings intensely.

Clary nodded, biting her lip nervously as he turned to look at her.

"They're beautiful." He breathed, inspecting them once more.

Clary blushed, folding her arms over her chest, as she watched him. He was looking at some of her older sketches, things like angel wings and random signs and symbols.

Like the ones she'd drawn on his door.

She knew that he knew this, of course. The way he turned around, and the look he gave her said enough. His gaze was sad and full of pity.

Clary hated it.

She'd been given that look too many times in her life.

Especially when it came to Jace.

"You wanted to talk?" Clary prompted, wanting more than anything for him to look at her any other way than that.

Jace nodded, sitting down on the edge of her bed. He motioned for her to sit next to him and she reluctantly sat down, making sure to keep a fair distance between them.