The Missing Chimney

A/N The dedication of course goes to the author of this short story, the karate girl ;) TrinityMarie

She'd like you to check out her fantasy story Assassin Desire.

And here's the short :)

*****

I should've known better. Taking a family’s chimney... Right off their house?! Yes, I know there’s no excuse but well... I shall give you one otherwise. It was really because I had nothing else to take. I have trinkets of every kind, all of which I’ve taken. No, I do not consider it stealing. I call it borrowing for a life time. But there was simply nothing else to take! I mean, I've taken plenty of other things! Mules even... Although that didn’t end well. But really a tree would not do, nor a blade of grass. They needed things to bring them to life. And well, that was simply something I could not do! I mean, look at what happened to the mule. Now, now, I should start my story, no more jabber. It started when I was Flying high in the sky.......

The air skittering past my wings almost made me feel more cheerful. Almost. Having no other living soul as a company was depressing. It was of course hard to make friends when you were a fierce dragon. Whenever I had tried to talk someone they had either started an angry mob, or fled. Of course having fire-breath does have that effect on people.

I needed something to bring back to my cave. The desire for something new was coursing through my veins. It was pulsing, driving me mad. I needed something and fast! 

"Something. Something. Something. Something. Something. Something." The same word was repeating itself in my head.

A little gray cloud fumed into the air about a 100 yards to the east of me. A town! Finally I would have something to bring back to cave. Adrenaline, and determination planted itself in my wings and sped up my flying.

90 yards.

80.

70. 

Every new second brought forth another ten yards.

60.

50.

40.

The air coursing past, made it hard to breath. A small gasps of air every 30 yards wasn’t enough, and I could feel my lungs shutting down, and my brain begin to deflate. Black spots beginning to take up my vision.

30.

20.

The first thing I see I will grab. Whether it be an apple or a crate I will take it. Closing my eyes for the final ten yards. I take in a gasp and open them again and the first thing I see is...... 

A chimney.

Out of all the thing it could've been, it was a chimney!

Sighing I open up my claws and wrap them firmly around the red chimney, and heaved upwards. The chimney was literally ripped into two. Half was hanging on the edge of the roof almost cracking through the roof. The other was safely in my protection. I hefted my leathery wings up, and I took root to the welcoming  sky.

The need slowly swam its way into the black corner of my mind. It shall stay there. For now.