Chapter 13 ~ First Day Back

(Y/n)'s POV

I woke up early that morning, happy I'm here. I quickly got ready and went to meet Chris in the Slytherin common room, like he asked me to.

I walked down the steps and spotted Chris and his hufflepuff girlfriend. I was surprised she was in here on the first day. Usually they'd get in trouble by Snape. I go over to them, with a smile.

"Hey Chris, Erin." I greeted, politely. They smile at me and ask me to sit with them, so I did.

"Are you excited for the new year?" He asked, a slight hum with his voice as he played with Erin's hair.

"Yeah! I'm so glad to be back. I really enjoy being here." I said with a bright smile. He gave me a slight look of surprise.

"Really? Even after all the weird stuff that's happened to you?" I just nodded, thinking about that compared to the abuse.

"Well first period is close, so I'm gonna go babe." Erin kisses his cheek then left.

Erin was a pretty girl. A bit chubby, brown hair, bright green eyes, and a beauty mark by her lip. I continued to talk with Chris till first period started.

•~Time Skip~•

Arriving in potions was nice. Me and James day in the back per-usual and talked before class started. Snape looked tired. Maybe he didn't sleep well last night.

When we made eye contact, I smiled at him then focused on James who continued to rant about his rich parents trying to get him a pet, but he wasn't really a fan of animals.

I nodded along, making small noises of acknowledgement. I enjoyed James company. I loved his little rants and how his cheeks flush with embarrassment when he messes up what he's saying.

Getting back to focus, class went as last time. Snape introduces himself to everyone again and we get started. Potions went the same as any other class. I'd write notes, Ashton got back to his poking fantasy, we'd do our potions, then me and James would talk again.

Except...

Ashton came up to us and dropped two substances into our cauldrons while Snape wasn't looking then ran back to his seat.

"Hey!" James snapped at him. I got up to stop him from going after Ashton, since he stood to take him down, when suddenly the cauldrons potions gave a small explosion that made me and James fly back.

Snape turned to us with a snarl and pulled the two of us up. He looked at me with the most scorn. I looked down.

"I expected better of you, Ms. (l/n)." He slightly growled. I felt like I would cry and looked at Ashton, watching him snicker as both me and James got detention, because he wouldn't listen to what actually happened.

I felt like crying for the rest of class. I kept my head down in shame. The trauma of home started to come back to me and I couldn't hold it in much longer and started crying, keeping it as quiet as possible.

James silently comforted me, keeping it quiet so no attention would be on us. Though if things couldn't have been worse, Ashton stared at us with a smirk. He knew I was crying and was enjoying his pay back.

•~Time Skip~•

Arriving at the library, me and James sat with Sofia. I had been upset all day. First Ashton ruins our potions, then I fell off my broom because some jerk also saw me crying and tried giving me a "better reason to cry for". Though even worse, I fell onto James trying to get to our table at lunch and almost everyone laughed.

I was on the brink of tears, I was in pain, I felt insulted. At least it wasn't home. And maybe, just maybe, tomorrow would be better.

After explaining everything to Sofia, she comforted me and tried to make me feel better. I decided to miss dinner that day and stay in my room till I had to serve detention with Filch.

I turned on some music and realized my journal was gone. I started to panic. Hoping it didn't end up in Ashton's hands or anyone else's.

•~Time Skip~•

Arriving to Filch's office, he explained what we'd be doing. Just some simple cleaning, so I was fine. Though, I hated the fact I still had to be down there paying off a punishment that shouldn't have been mine. Though, any pleads would've fallen on deaths ears.

After a few hours, I started walking back to the common room. I felt cold and alone. James was lucky. He had detention with Hagrid, and he said it wasn't that bad.

My hands were stained, which I didn't mind, because I did enjoy cleaning. However, I cut my leg, falling up the stairs. So I was limping.

Suddenly, there was a tap on my shoulder. When I turned, I saw it was Snape. I was still hurt so I kept my sentences short.

"Y-Yes...?" I was losing my voice from crying so much today. He paused for a second, before handing me my journal.

"I believe this is yours?" He said, calmly, not in his usual, cold, strict voice. I hesitate before taking it. I look at it then back to him.

"D-did you read it?" Hesitant, I asked that question. He shook his head.

"No, Ms. (l/n)." I wanted to ask if he was still upset with me, but thought better of it. I just thanked him and left to my room. I heard him try to say something, but I kept walking, feeling myself start to cry again.

Worst first day, ever.