Chapter 10 ~ New Year, Somewhat New Me

(Y/n)'s POV

Break was over and it was a new year, not a new school year, but just a new year. I fix up my robes and adjust my new glasses and fix the alignment of my locket.

I glance at the kitten I named, Magic. It was a funny name, at least I thought so, for her since her personality was magical as to how sweet and stubborn she was, (plus the fact I'm in a wizarding school and I use magic). She gave a soft purr for no reason and mewed out in approval, making me giggle.

I was excited to see Sofia and James again. It had been a week since I've seen them. I pet Magic and kiss her forehead as a goodbye, then leave for class. I sat in the back and set my stuff down and adjust my glasses; I could feel almost everyone staring at me.

When I glanced up they all looked away. I saw James enter the classroom and he sat down beside me and smiled. I smile back at him.

"H-Hey, how was break?" I asked, smiling at him. Of course he didn't look different, it was only a few days we were gone.

"It was great, I loved your gift. I hope mine wasn't too bad." He said, like the dork he was, I giggled.

"Your gift was great, I appreciate the fact that you actually listen to my small rants to myself in the library, even though they are dumb..." I brush my hair behind my ear and when the bell rang again, we focused on the lesson at hand.

Professor Snape cleared his throat and started to teach. I, of course, took notes in my original journal. I'm only going to use the journals she got me for my writings. Toward the end of class he was walking around again and I was talking to James.

"Actually, I was surprised by who actually got me a gift... especially Hagrid's gift..." I said, James raised a brow.

"Why? Out of anything Dumbledore's gift was the most surprising." James said, I nod but then shake my head.

"I-I guess but Hagrid got me a kitten... even though he's allergic." James shrugged.

"I guess that's weird but not as weird as getting you glasses." I shook my head and sigh. "What did you name it anyway?" He asked which made me smile. I try not to giggle then say my kittens lovely name.

"Magic...!" I stifle a giggle and he rolls his eyes and covers his mouth to keep his laugh quiet. I smile like a dork, and he smiled back.

"So um... what did Sofia get you?" He asked, I smile excitedly.

"She got me a bunch of books and notebooks, and I'm super excited to start reading them...!" I whisper excitedly. James rolls his eyes.

"What is it with you and Sofia and reading?" James asked, slightly annoyed, but slightly curious.

"It's more the literature a-actually... I love to read because it enhances my vocabulary, teaches me lessons about my life, b-but it also takes me away from reality... takes some stress out and gives me something to be excited about." I smile at him, innocently, he kind of smiled back, knowing my deep meaning but playing it off like it was everything yet nothing at the same time.

"Fair enough, so what are you doing after classes today?" He asked, I shrugged.

"P-probably the usual. But I might cancel a few things because I really like the storyline of one of the books." I say, brushing some hair out of my face. When the bell finally rang, we left the classroom, I had taken a glance at the professor who had looked at me and then away.

Later on that year, we were still close friends. Snape kept his distance but we still talked and walked the halls with Dumbledore and sometimes on our own and he'd just be walking me back to my room. Thought OWLS was coming around, and I was nervous about summer.