ix. the pictures on the wall

FLATLINE

FLATLINE

edited as of march 1st, 2020

Charlotte stayed with the Doctor and Rose for five days in total. One of the days, they went to the planet Solspir and Charlotte found herself in love with the beachside sunset. However, on the fifth day, Charlotte disappeared in the middle of breakfast with Jane Austen. How embarrassing!

But, now, Charlotte stood in her nice pair of navy trousers and loose, white long-sleeved blouse on a waste ground. In front of her, stood a caught off guard Clara Oswald staring at her.

"Oh, sorry," Charlotte apologized to her, taking a step backward. Turning around, she sees the Doctor- in his twelfth regeneration this time, attempting to get inside of a much smaller TARDIS.

From where she stood, Clara called to him, "Charlotte's here, Doctor."

The Doctor looks above the TARDIS and in their direction. "Oh, that's good." He stood there for a second silently before returning to getting back inside the TARDIS.

Clara looked over at Charlotte. "Care to join me in looking around?"

Remembering what would soon happen to the TARDIS, she shook her head. "Sure..."

The two walk past the TARDIS and beyond the train shed. Eventually, they walk down an underpass. At the top of the steps stood a community payback group in front of a wall covered with graffiti. Beside the steps, a shrine consisting of flowers and pictures caught both of their eyes.

Followed by Clara, Charlotte crouched down for a better look at the shrine.

A man in the community service group looked down at them. "Cheer up, love. Might never happen."

"Have some respect," Charlotte heard one of the others say back to him, "they're grieving."

"Oh, sorry, love. I didn't mean nothing by it."

After standing up from their spots, they began walking through the underpass. Charlotte looks around at the paintings of the people with their backs turned. In all, there must be close to eight in total. Her breath hitched, knowing how these 'paintings' are actual people...

Behind them, a pair of quick footsteps came down the stairs. Rigsy, a young dark-skinned man in a bright yellow vest and a baseball cap, approached them. "Sorry about them," he apologizes, and the two stopped walking to listen. "They're idiots."

"That's all right, don't worry," Clara responds. "I've had worse."

"I've lost some, too," Rigsy reveals, glancing at the back of a woman in a yellow blazer. "My Aunt Karina. Deaf as a post. Didn't really know her that well but she's still gone. Is your one in the mural?"

Charlotte shook her head with a frown. "Oh, no. We're just visiting."

"I'm sure they'll get round to it at some point." Rigsy paused, walking away from his aunt's part of the mural and stood in front of Clara and her. "I'm not really with that lot out there. I just have to do this community service thing. I just do graffiti. Not anything, you know, murdery or..."