Chapter Four- The Bet

My eyes were wide and I couldn’t believe what had just happened. As he lay on the floor clutching his nose I looked up to see who had got him off me, and then I saw Mason. I was bought back down to earth; I didn’t want that, because now I felt like I owed him something, or that he would feel that we were friends again.

I walked up to him and nodded. “Thank you.” I muttered under my breath.

“It's okay, I thought you might actually talk to me now though, after I just saved your ass.” He smiled sarcastically. The mason I knew and loved still wasn’t there.

“An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.” I said to him, staring right into his eyes.

“What?” He never was the brightest person in the world.

I decided to clarify it. “Basically, just because you may or may not have saved my ass still doesn’t make up for the fact that you are a horrible person now or that you have barely spoken to me in the past four years or the fact that when we have you have shouted nothing but abuse at me!” I scowled at him and he just smiled back.

“Is it not even worth a kiss?” and he made a kissy face at me.

“Mason, it’s not even worth a smile.” And I didn’t give him a second glance.

I walked back up to where Nicola and Owen were and I was surprised to hear a loud conversation going on. I didn’t want to walk in so I decided to sit in the hallway just outside the door.

“Nic, please listen to reason, he isn’t right for you!” he pleaded gently.

“No Owen, you listen, I like him, I really like him, and he is the only boy who has shown the slightest interest in me!” she took a breather for a few seconds and the continued “Just because you have gone all protective over me doesn’t mean that I should drop everything a listen to you!”

“But Nic, he doesn’t like any one, the whole reason Rico has girlfriends is as an accessory! He doesn’t know loyalty!” I could sense something not being said, there was reluctance in his voice. I didn’t know why but I was sure that he knew something about Rico that he hadn’t told Nicola or me for that matter. I wanted to carry on listening, but it felt wrong. I stood up and went to look for an empty room. As the room I would have gone into was taken by Owen and Nic, I went a bit further down the hall in the hope of finding another spare room. The first door I walked into looked empty initially, but then someone shouted “this room is taken!” and then I heard a girlish giggle. I rolled my eyes and walked out of that room and into another one.

The second room I walked into had the lights on, and in the corner were two people fully clothed but embraced with such lust it looked unnatural. I would have walked out straight away if it hadn’t been for the recognition I suddenly experienced. Over in the corner was a girl from the year below, in a heated make out session with Rico. I gently coughed and firstly I thought neither of them heard me, but then I walked and sat on the bed and coughed a little louder this time.

“Go away!” Rico shouted and I could see a smirk across his face, he loved the image of being walked in on, I could tell.

“Rico, I think we need to talk!” I said sternly. I wasn’t going to let my only girlfriend be played around by this jerk. She was sweet and happy and a really great friend and she certainly didn’t deserve this. The girl walked out the room and I patted the bed for Rico sit down. He did so and I slapped him round the face, the sound of my hand on his cheek resonated around the room. He looked very taken aback, but I really didn’t care.

“What the hell are you doing?” he yelled.

I, what am I doing? I should be asking you the same question! I am defending my friend.” I gave him a death stare but he just smiled back.