Where'd You Go?

I miss you. I love you. Come back soon, okay? I'll be waiting. Always waiting, my dear.

        -Eli

~~~~~

I hate being so far from you. But I can promise that you won't be waiting much longer. Things are looking up over here and I think we're going to win this once and for all. I love you so much, Eli. Don't you ever forget that.

        -Gil

~~~~~

I could never forget with how much you say it and express it. But promise me that you'll never, ever forget me. Remember that I'll always be here when you come back. I love you with all my heart, Gilbert.

        -Eli

~~~~~

I'm afraid that if I don't say it all the time, then you'll forget. I can't have that happen, now can I? I send all my letters with kisses for you and only you. My beautiful, beautiful girl... I can't wait to come home and hold you in my arms. I also have a surprise for you, so you'd best not be getting with any other men. I love you more than my heart allows. I'll come back soon, Elizabeta.

        -Gil

~~~~

Don't worry. I could never, ever forget. Not even when I'm buried six feet under the ground. I send mine with kisses for you as well, my sweet. Don't worry. No man could ever fill your shoes. I only love you, Gilbert. Forever and always. I love you so very much... I can't express that enough.

        -Eli

~~~~~

I know you're busy with fighting in the war, but.. I just want to know you're okay, or if your letter didn't get to me. I love you and can't wait to hear from you again.

        -Eli

~~~~~

It's been a month... I still haven't gotten anything... I love you, Gilbert... Where'd you go?

        -Eli

Elizabeta wiped a single tear from her eye as she put the letter in the mailbox and made her way back to her house. There, she sat on the couch and found herself staring at the picture of her boyfriend, Gilbert Beilschmidt, in his blue uniform. The Hungarian reached for the picture and held it close to her, letting silent tears fall as she drifted off to sleep.

~~~~~

It had been yet another couple of weeks and Elizabeta still hadn't gotten anything from Gilbert in the mail.

One day as she was watering her flowers out on the porch, she saw a car pull up to her house. A car from the army. She watched as a man got out, dressed in uniform and a letter in his hands as he walked up to the house. From the porch, Elizabeta felt her heart shatter and her body grow empty. Before the man could even hand her the letter, she fell to her knees before him and cried harshly into her hands. This just couldn't be. He promised he'd come back.

A pair of arms helped Elizabeta up onto her shaky legs and gloved hands wiped her tears, but it didn't seem to do any good. Finally, though, she managed to take the crisp, white envelope in her shaky hands and open it. Pulling the paper out, she unfolded it and began to read. What she saw wasn't what she'd expected at all, and it made her heart stop once again. The woman went to look at the man again, but instead found him down on one knee, holding an opened velvet box in his hands. Beneath the hat, she saw the traces of silvery hair and bright red eyes looking up at her with a smile. How had she missed it?

Elizabeta dropped down to hug him tightly, whispering her shaky 'yes!' as well, and the letter fell to the ground with a short message written:

I promised I'd come back. Will you marry me?