Chapter Eleven: A Twisted Word

Zacznij od początku

          My bath smelled of oatmeal, which often relaxed my tense muscles yet had no power over them this time. Anya sang so beautifully to me as I sat.

          How could such a small woman make me feel so weak?

          Once I was clean I took a seat at the vanity where my hair was to be brushed. “What have you gotten into this time, my prince?” She asked, now preparing my officer’s uniform.

          “It seems I’ve really made a fool of myself, Miss. I’ve gone and upset the princess, yet her accusations are far from true.” I looked to my left. I’d always loved my uniform. The coat was cerulean was gold embroidery and trim; to finish it off there was a red satin sash lined with gold to top it off. I pulled on the charcoal trousers and paired boots before smoothing the coat over my chest.

          I stopped just before laying the sash across to take in a deep breath. For once, I looked like a king. In fact, I looked much like my father.

          Oh, I wished he was here to see me now. Perhaps then I could make him proud.

          To my amazement I had come so far from the moment I told my father I refused to be king. It was as if in that very second I had unknowingly accepted that it was my fate. Yet I had been so foolish with Emma upon our first meeting and completely missed the moment I’d fallen in love with her.

          I sounded like a woman, didn’t I?

          Stupid Norwegian, making me feel miserable inside. Why hadn’t she let me explain? I was trying so hard to find her once more so I could tell her how I truly felt.

          Anya placed a crown I hadn’t seen before in my hands. “It was your fathers. He hoped to give it to you himself.”

          Tears welled in her eyes and soon spilled on to her face. “No need to cry, long live the king.” I held her hand gently. “But alas, you are the king my dear son.” She pat my hand gently before placing the crown encrusted with rose colored jewels upon my head.

          “You’ve been so wonderful to me Anya, and my recent actions and events have shown me to truly appreciate those who care for me. I’m asking if you’ll drop your duties and live here under my care. I’m afraid that you’ve grown older as I have.” I kissed her hands so gently.

          She had in fact aged so beautifully, and I hadn’t even truly noticed. “You mean that, little prince?” Her eyes lit up. I placed a kiss on top of her head and gave a loving nod. Anya had been like a mother to me all these years and knew secrets that not even Braylene did.

          “It’s nearly five, my lord. Perhaps you’ll let me be your escort?” She grinned. “I wouldn’t have anyone else by my side, but first… I went out and bought you a gown.” I motioned to the wardrobe where a box lay in the bottom. She began crying once more as she swirled the gown around in the air before holding it up to herself.

          She stepped behind the changing screen and reappeared moments later. She looked happier than ever and it made my heart leap.

          She took my arm in her hand and we head down the stairs toward the ball room. Everyone stood as I walked in, my mother smiled from ear to ear. I waited patiently, my nerves eating away at my sanity.

          I looked up just as the doors opened to reveal a rather happy looking Emma.

          My breath caught in my throat and my eyes began to water, “Be strong, little prince.” Anya whispered from next to my mother. Emma looked so beautiful as she slowly walked down the aisle, Daren by her side. She stood before me at the bottom of the few steps that separated us.