Fort Redman and the Yellow Road

Dawn was approaching, and the charred smell of smoke from the ruins of Leyawiin began to dissipate as Penald and a few other survivors that had escaped moved swiftly along the Yellow Road. They trod along the dirt road, wounded, footsore, hungry and thirsty. The screams of agony from their fallen comrades still filled their damaged thoughts. The journey was sullen and quiet. The Blackwood that surrounded them emitted echoes of insects and animals that thrived within the marshes. Penald was carrying the body of his fallen commander who had saved him from the brink of death. His mind was heavy with grief; flashes of the battle continued to jab at him, reminding of him the terrors that transpired in the streets of Leyawiin.

"How far until we reach Fort Redman?" a soldier asked, promptly breaking the silence around them.

"A few miles, I reckon." answered Penald. He was sweating hard, he didn't rest after Leyawiin, afraid of the Dominion advance. By now, the Elves were swiftly calculating their next move having captured Castle Leyawiin and all its important documents. The Legion fortresses would be their next target, Penald thought, as they would potentially hinder the Dominion supply routes and slow down their advance. He marched on despite the growing fatigue that seeped through his every muscle. He was still wearing his steel armour which had been smeared with blood, dirt and ash from the battle, burdening his movements on top of carrying Carius' body. All he hoped for now was to find rest in Fort Redman, and then regroup with the Legion in the Imperial City.

A few more hours passed as they marched across the swamps of Blackwood. The Sun bathed the lands in blinding rays of light and the sky had glowing blue. Near the Niben, the reeds swayed in the gentle morning breeze, and the River was calm and elegant. A few more steps ahead of a rocky outcropping by the River, and they saw the walls of Fort Redman. From where Penald was, he could see Imperial troops rushing and moving at an urgent pace. Crowds of civilians were camped outside the fortress, dotting the surrounding land with tents and makeshift shelters. The citizens of Leyawiin had made the journey there safely as their rafts scattered the banks of the Niben, and Penald was relieved that their plan had come to fruition.

They made their way down to the Fort at a quickened pace than usual, desiring rest after hours of marching along the desolate road. A soldier stood out of the mass of tents that were set up by the escaping civilians. He noticed Penald and the other troops and came out to greet them.

"Are you from Leyawiin, sir?" he said, observing Penald and the soldiers that followed him.

 Penald nodded in response, his entire body aching from carrying the weight of Carius' body.

"Then, you might want to meet with Legate Antonius," he said, "he wants to have a word with you in his office."

"And that body," the soldier motioned to Penald's shoulder, "you can put that with the rest in the cart." he showed the Redguard a cart, ladened with the dead bodies of Imperial soldiers. Most of whom he recognised to be the soldiers from Leyawiin. 

Penald walked to the cart and placed Commander Carius' body on the pile. "I trust you can give him a proper burial?" Penald asked the soldier. "Yes, of course, sir," he assured, "the men at the Imperial City will sort it out for you. I guarantee." Penald took his words, looked at Carius' body for the last time, and walked over to the Legate's office inside Fort Redman. He passed by hundreds of Leyawiin's citizens wearing sorrowful and confused faces. Some had already packed and left for the Heartlands, while the rest were still clueless on what they should do next. It all happened so suddenly and without warning, they were now homeless and destitute, and effectively refugees. A terrible fate, thought Penald as he went inside the castle, but at least they're still alive.

The very interior of Fort Redman had been extensively renovated for military use after it had been a dwelling place for vampires and bandits some centuries prior. Paintings lined the Colovian-style walls and decorative furniture such as flower pots and low tables adorned the hallways, adding to its unique and vibrant interior. With the Empire losing much of its former provinces and its treasuries depleting at a much faster rate, Fort Redman was indeed a rare sight that hearkened back to the Empire's golden ages under the Septim emperors.